EHL Leaves USA Hockey Affiliation

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The EHL is going to self govern according to their release today. Big development among the junior hockey landscape in the US, and especially Mid-Atlantic/ New England regions in the US.

Personally I think it's a bold move on their end, I think the USA hockey affiliation helped make them stronger, and really the argument to leave is if they want to go the USPHL route of using the EHLP as a pay to play feeder for a more Tier II like setup. But in that situation they are still facing the competition form the more established NAHL and USPHL levels.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The EHL is going to self govern according to their release today. Big development among the junior hockey landscape in the US, and especially Mid-Atlantic/ New England regions in the US.

Personally I think it's a bold move on their end, I think the USA hockey affiliation helped make them stronger, and really the argument to leave is if they want to go the USPHL route of using the EHLP as a pay to play feeder for a more Tier II like setup. But in that situation they are still facing the competition form the more established NAHL and USPHL levels.

So now that makes it three sides all fighting each other for control of the sub-USHL level USA junior hockey landscape.

USA Hockey: NAHL, NA3HL
USPHL: USPHL NCDC, Premier, Elite
EHL: ?

I don't think the EHL wants to go the USPHL route of adding free to play hockey. Their niche is placing kids straight to NCAA D3, nothing else. They don't publicize any ACHA commitments and very rarely anything outside of a USHL advancement. I wonder what their governing body will be, possibly themselves like the USPHL.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So now that makes it three sides all fighting each other for control of the sub-USHL level USA junior hockey landscape.

USA Hockey: NAHL, NA3HL
USPHL: USPHL NCDC, Premier, Elite
EHL: ?

I don't think the EHL wants to go the USPHL route of adding free to play hockey. Their niche is placing kids straight to NCAA D3, nothing else. They don't publicize any ACHA commitments and very rarely anything outside of a USHL advancement. I wonder what their governing body will be, possibly themselves like the USPHL.
Looks like just their own governing body. As you said straight to D3 schools in the northeast especially is their bread and butter commitments.
Very sorry to all his family and friends and the Raiders community on his loss!

I just wonder if their plan is use the EHLPremier league they run as a pay to play level to support a more Tier II like EHL.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Looks like just their own governing body. As you said straight to D3 schools in the northeast especially is their bread and butter commitments.
Very sorry to all his family and friends and the Raiders community on his loss!

I just wonder if their plan is use the EHLPremier league they run as a pay to play level to support a more Tier II like EHL.

Hopefully they don't plan to take advantage of more kids wishing for Tier II free/cheaper to play hockey. There is already enough of that in the current junior hockey landscape.

Reactions: mk80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad