Ehh..Andy Cogliano vs. Rob Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Alright call me a homer on this one (I don't follow the OPJHL that well), but didn't Rob Schremp dominate at that level as a double underager? Why does Cogliano get so much attention when Schremp, who has better size but not as much speed, basically scored what he scored as a 14-15 year old? Again, I'm not knocking Cogliano down here, I think he's a great prospect (You hear that!), I'm just wondering if anyone could key me in on hidden insight.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Shremp was talked about as a potential top 3 pick going into his draft year, how much more attention was/is he supposed to get... His talent was never in question... all the talk about his supposed attititude, to go along with being benched in the OHL playoffs is what caused his stock to drop, but he sure didn't suffer from lack of attention last year, although quite a bit of it was negative... Meanwhile Cogliano is touted as a possible top 10 pick, which is pretty far from being a sure thing at the moment, mainly due to the league he is playing in... whats the problem here exactly, how is that out of line, outside of Crosby, Brule, etc, who are these clearly better prospects, when factoring in potential.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've wondered the same thing but I didn't want to be the first one to ask about it. Statistical arguments against a player don't go over too well around here.

Cogliano put up 70+ points last year as a 16 year old.

If memory serves me, Schremp had 70+ points as a 14 year old and 90+ points as a 15 year old.

Some other former OPJHL players...

Evan McGrath had 80+ points as a 15 year old.

Tim Connolly had 100+ points as a 15 year old.

Mike Cammalleri had 80+ points as a 15 year old and 100+ as a 16 year old.

I've seen Cogliano play once and he certainly seemed like a good player. However, he didn't seem to be the kind of player that was going to be a top 10 NHL draft pick.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Cogliano is getting a lot of attention because of his performance at the U18's. He lead the tourney in scoring, ahead of players like Brule, O'Mara, Setoguchi, Bradford and Bertram. That turned a lot of heads. It was just one tourney on bigger ice, but if he hadn't performed that well alongside those players, he probably wouldn't be in the top 20 on many lists.

Still, of the three top 10 scouting lists I've seen, he has only been in the top 10 in one one of them (McKeens at #8). And McKeens has since released another rather critical report on Cogliano, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out of their top 10 in their updated rankings due shortly.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Johnny said:
Shremp was talked about as a potential top 3 pick going into his draft year, how much more attention was/is he supposed to get... His talent was never in question... all the talk about his supposed attititude, to go along with being benched in the OHL playoffs is what caused his stock to drop, but he sure didn't suffer from lack of attention last year, although quite a bit of it was negative... Meanwhile Cogliano is touted as a possible top 10 pick, which is pretty far from being a sure thing at the moment, mainly due to the league he is playing in... whats the problem here exactly, how is that out of line, outside of Crosby, Brule, etc, who are these clearly better prospects, when factoring in potential.

No I'm not saying that Schremp wasn't talked about, I wasn't using him as a measuring stick. I'm asking what's the fuss about Cogliano being a top 10 player in most people's eyes. I've seen him play for St-Mike's, and boy is he good, but size is also an issue and so is the league he's playing in, which is not even BCHL caliber. I've seen him play at the U-18, and yes I was impressed but so what, a lot of players play great in the U-18 only to end up being picked in the late stages of the draft.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Cogliano put up his 72 points in only 37 games. That's pretty good. His speed is probably what has people most excited though, he's just tremendously speedy and agile.

Last edited:

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
No I'm not saying that Schremp wasn't talked about, I wasn't using him as a measuring stick. I'm asking what's the fuss about Cogliano being a top 10 player in most people's eyes. I've seen him play for St-Mike's, and boy is he good, but size is also an issue and so is the league he's playing in, which is not even BCHL caliber. I've seen him play at the U-18, and yes I was impressed but so what, a lot of players play great in the U-18 only to end up being picked in the late stages of the draft.

He had a good rookie year, and as Dr Sens pointed out Leading the under 18's turned some heads, also leading Ontario at the under 17's to gold turned some heads as well... He's a guy who has grabbed some attention playing well with/against the top players of his age... Those are tournaments that people pay close attention to, therefore we hear more about those who are successful at them... His size is reallly no more of a issue then the size of Bertram, Brule, Crosby, etc... Right now it would seem the only sure thing of this draft is that Brule and Crosby go top 2, other then that, it seems there is alot of uncertainty regarding this up coming draft, alot up in the air when it comes to where guys will go. To me he's just one of a number of guys who has a shot at cracking the top 10, and I hope those who doubt will spread their doubts, to perhaps have ironically enough a Shremp-like effect, to allow Cogliano to drop back and end up in blue and white.

Last edited:

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Cogliano got off to a slow start with St. Mike's this season, but it appears he has turned things around. At the beginning of October the younger Matt Kang was leading the Buzzers with 22 points in 10 games, while Cogliano I believe was third on the team with 17 points. This grabbed some attention around here since most expect Cogliano to be lighting it up. It seems he's found his groove again because in the last six games Cogliano has 9g, 6a and leads his team in scoring with 32 points in 16 games.

I do think spending another season in the OPJHL will hurt his draft status some, but Cogliano has been strong at all the international tournaments with other prospects in his age group. As mentioned, he led the U-18 team in scoring earlier this year and last winter he led the Team Ontario U-17 team to the gold medal with I believe 12 points in six games. The only person to put up more points was Brule with 13. These tourneys can carry some weight for a prospect and I suspect that's what'll keep him a high prospect.

LovestheO

Jun 23, 2004
I think that Cogligano made the right move by staying in Tier 2 hockey and then going to MSU. IMO, I hope he gets his education as I don't see a future in Pro hockey outside maybe Europe. History tells us that the U17 and 18 programmes are for European type players, not NHL. There are a few that emerg, but those are the bigger guys. Point in fact, Mike Cammileri.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
LovestheO said:
I think that Cogligano made the right move by staying in Tier 2 hockey and then going to MSU.

What an insult! :mad: :D

He's going to U-M (University of Michigan), not MSU (Michigan State University) next fall.... unless he decides to pull a Bryan Lerg on us.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I'm not even convinced that Cogliano deserves to be called a first rounder just yet. I know that sounds harsh, but it's the OPJHL after all. Zajac was criticised for two years for going the BCHL route, but the BCHL is leagues ahead of the OPJHL right now. Cogliano wants to go to college, and that's cool. However he has, and will continue to hurt his draft rankings by doing so.

Versus Schremp, it's no contest for me. Schremp has proven much more at a higher level while only being a year older. Not saying either are sure-fire NHL'ers mind you.

Cogliano could prove many doubters wrong, but right now, until he does that, I don't think we can take him too seriously just yet.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Personally, I don't really care where he gets drafted. It's kind of like preseason rankings... the higher ranked (drafted) you are, the more potential people feel you have, but as we all know with preseason rankings it doesn't mean nothing if you don't prove yourself in the end.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Will he even opt in this year? I think the prospects of him going top 10 are absurd. I think he should prove himself in the BCHL or at the very least the USHL, which by the way is NOT better than tier 2 hockey in Canada. The OPJHL is no longer a challenge, it's on par with the LHJAAA in Quebec.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Alright call me a homer on this one (I don't follow the OPJHL that well), but didn't Rob Schremp dominate at that level as a double underager? Why does Cogliano get so much attention when Schremp, who has better size but not as much speed, basically scored what he scored as a 14-15 year old? Again, I'm not knocking Cogliano down here, I think he's a great prospect (You hear that!), I'm just wondering if anyone could key me in on hidden insight.

Where have you been ?? Schremp is hyped up like a god around here.

Robbie gets all the attention he deserves and perhaps more. Not sure what more you expect. He'd be in the second tier of prospects.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
SpaceGhost79 said:
What an insult! :mad: :D

He's going to U-M (University of Michigan), not MSU (Michigan State University) next fall.... unless he decides to pull a Bryan Lerg on us.

UM also has Jack Johnson coming to Yost to go along with Hensick and Montoya. :handclap:

EDIT: Also, Postman has told me that Kessel is deciding between Michigan and Minnesota...although he did say he has a feeling that Kessel will choose the gophers.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Garfield said:
Where have you been ?? Schremp is hyped up like a god around here.

Robbie gets all the attention he deserves and perhaps more. Not sure what more you expect. He'd be in the second tier of prospects.

Ehh if you'd read on, you would have caught me saying that I wasn't comparing Schremp's hype to Cogliano's, but their respective stats when they played in the OPJHL.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
Will he even opt in this year? I think the prospects of him going top 10 are absurd. I think he should prove himself in the BCHL or at the very least the USHL, which by the way is NOT better than tier 2 hockey in Canada. The OPJHL is no longer a challenge, it's on par with the LHJAAA in Quebec.

Does he have the option of opting out? I'm not familiar with all the rules around it, but he's a 6/14/87 birthdate, so he'll be 18 years old just before the next draft.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Ehh if you'd read on, you would have caught me saying that I wasn't comparing Schremp's hype to Cogliano's, but their respective stats when they played in the OPJHL.

No, you said you wondered why Cogliano got so much hype when Schremp outscored him. I was simply replying that Schremp gets much more hype than Cogliano to begin with.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Garfield said:
No, you said you wondered why Cogliano got so much hype when Schremp outscored him. I was simply replying that Schremp gets much more hype than Cogliano to begin with.

Well you could also make a case for Evan Mcgrath, who doesn't get more hype than Cogliano to begin with.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
SpaceGhost79 said:
Does he have the option of opting out? I'm not familiar with all the rules around it, but he's a 6/14/87 birthdate, so he'll be 18 years old just before the next draft.

I think he does if he's going the college route. If ever his stock falls, I think it would be good for himt opt out.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Well you could also make a case for Evan Mcgrath, who doesn't get more hype than Cogliano to begin with.

Evan was deffinetly hyped as a possible top 5 pick before last season. He simply had a bad year and continually dropped down the list.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
jin said:
Evan was deffinetly hyped as a possible top 5 pick before last season. He simply had a bad year and continually dropped down the list.

Which is why I'm hinting at a possible freefall for Cogliano (god forbid it), it is so I hear, a tremendously deep draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->