Confirmed with Link: Egor Yakovlev signed to a one-year, entry-level contract

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Outside of Clarkson and his 30 goals which guy had an oddly good year? And his year was nothing like Karlsson's, and Vegas had a bunch of other guys with significant breakout years.

If you want to roll with "it happens" that's fine, but I think the "why's" are interesting.
During the regular season I'd say Sykora and Zubrus were almost completely propped up by Elias, and that Henrique's numbers were a bit inflated too (playing with Parise and Kovalchuk, that rookie season still remains his highest point total). Looking at Marty's numbers from January 2010 onwards that season looks like an aberration as well.

In the playoffs we had guys like Salvador and CBGB play way over their heads. I don't think we beat NYR if our 4th line didn't go bananas on them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
During the regular season I'd say Sykora and Zubrus were almost completely propped up by Elias, and that Henrique's numbers were a bit inflated too (playing with Parise and Kovalchuk, that rookie season still remains his highest point total). Looking at Marty's numbers from January 2010 onwards that season looks like an aberration as well.

In the playoffs we had guys like Salvador and CBGB play way over their heads. I don't think we beat NYR if our 4th line didn't go bananas on them.
I think CBGB is a good example of guys getting an oppurtunity in the right environment and seeing their play benefit from it.

Those guys, imo, do share a resemblance to Vegas, on a smaller scale of coarse, in that they were not tagging along with a HOF'r or two. Nor were they a HOF themselves getting hot one more time. Just 3 guys who came together in a certain role, meshed, and put together a solid run of good play.

But even in all those instances we are seeing guys play well for one reason or the other, and the question is why? You gave explanations for a bunch of them, and that makes sense, playing with good players will help a player play well, or at least produce at a higher rate(although I think the former applies as well). I think style of play is a consideration. I think that applied to CBGB under Deboer, and it applied to a bunch of guys this year under Hynes.

So how does that apply to Yegor, welp #1 is he would need to get ice time. The one scouting report says he is high energy, so that is good fit in NJ. From the examples above, playing with a good player helps. As we saw with Butcher(and Lovejoy) giving him matchups he can handle plays into it for sure, we certainly saw the opposite with Greene this year(and Lovejoy last year).

But what else? Now I don't know if we could replicate it here in NJ because Vegas was such a unique situation, but I wonder if there are things that established teams can learn from what happened there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Classic Devil

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2, with FLA

He defines TOTAL BUST
I think his first game in the NHL was against us. I remember at the time he was the last player from the first round of the 2003 NHL draft class to make his NHL debut. Every player that was drafted in the first round that year went on to play in the NHL.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think his first game in the NHL was against us. I remember at the time he was the last player from the first round of the 2003 NHL draft class to make his NHL debut. Every player that was drafted in the first round that year went on to play in the NHL.

that draft was absolutely ridiculous

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Jessiman is unfairly maligned, he was built for the game prior to the lockout.

……and he did…….nothing

who are you? a friend or relative of him?

a joke pick in hindsight

….ill add an 'lol' to your defence of huge speciman also

hard bust in a year of plenty…….no sugar coating that there man

……..ill guess you believe lawson crowse is also unfairly judged

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
……and he did…….nothing

a joke pick in hindsight

Yeah, I mean, there were big, physical players that were taken in the first round after Jessimen. The Ducks got Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf in that first round. They essentially turned that draft into a cup. I mean, there have certainly bigger busts than Jessiman, but in terms of dumbest pick of all time, I really can't think of one that tops that. Reaching for a guy off the board when that many blue chippers are still available is just inexcusable.

Reactions: Dialamo and nugg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
……and he did…….nothing

a joke pick in hindsight

I'm sad that I missed this post last week when it was first made.

I couldn't stop laughing though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah, I mean, there were big, physical players that were taken in the first round after Jessimen. The Ducks got Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf in that first round. They essentially turned that draft into a cup. I mean, there have certainly bigger busts than Jessiman, but in terms of dumbest pick of all time, I really can't think of one that tops that. Reaching for a guy off the board when that many blue chippers are still available is just inexcusable.

hindsight is always the kicker….every year the draft is a crapshoot in every slot essentially… i just couldnt resist commenting on jessiman in the '03 throw a dart at the dartboard draft.

hindsight.

they might as well have chosen taro tsujimoto and gotten a better player

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
hindsight is always the kicker….every year the draft is a crapshoot in every slot essentially… i just couldnt resist commenting on jessiman in the '03 throw a dart at the dartboard draft.

hindsight.

they might as well have chosen taro tsujimoto and gotten a better player
I know a dude who has the Taro trading card. I don't think it's super rare. He just grabbed a pack of Panini cards one day and got his card in it. It's got a picture of a Japanese player from the 70's wearing a Sabres colored jersey. And the description apparently claims that the Canadiens hoped to trade back for him, while sending Buffalo Jacques Lemaire in the process. :laugh:

The same guy has an old framed photograph of Hannu Kamppuri making a save. It's from Finland, not with the Devils. I wondered why he had a framed photo of such an obscure player. He said he just liked the picture and first saw it as a small child. And he also kind of likes weird and obscure things. I thought that was kind of a cool story.

taro-back.jpg

I found the Taro Tsujimoto card online. LOL read the description.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Montreal almost traded Lemaire for him? That's hilarious.
Haha I don’t think so.

Tsujimoto was a completely fake and mythical player, completely fabricated by Punch Imlach. I’m not sure if Montreal’s management were really under the impression that he was this Japanese prodigy. I think only Buffalo were in on it until after it came out that they punted a draft pick on a fake player.

That description on the card was also obviously fabricated just for the funnies haha.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Then the Rangers did something similar in 2010, picking Dylan McIllrath at #10 when Fowler was on the board. Dallas picked next and missed out on Fowler too. Anaheim at #12 were probably thinking "lmao sweet".

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I know a dude who has the Taro trading card. I don't think it's super rare. He just grabbed a pack of Panini cards one day and got his card in it. It's got a picture of a Japanese player from the 70's wearing a Sabres colored jersey. And the description apparently claims that the Canadiens hoped to trade back for him, while sending Buffalo Jacques Lemaire in the process. :laugh:

The same guy has an old framed photograph of Hannu Kamppuri making a save. It's from Finland, not with the Devils. I wondered why he had a framed photo of such an obscure player. He said he just liked the picture and first saw it as a small child. And he also kind of likes weird and obscure things. I thought that was kind of a cool story.

View attachment 123681
I found the Taro Tsujimoto card online. LOL read the description.

ya, ive seen that before...even funnier is that katanas means sabres in japanese :laugh:

Reactions: nugg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Learn what? How to get ludicrously lucky and have every tweener play way over their heads?

this is my biggest issue and "concern" with vegas. almost every single one of their guys had career years this year. say its the system the coach the chance to play or just even luck. if any team in the nhl had majority of their roster go off with career years that team would be in the finals also . big question is do these guys repeat next year? or will they continue

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Then the Rangers did something similar in 2010, picking Dylan McIllrath at #10 when Fowler was on the board. Dallas picked next and missed out on Fowler too. Anaheim at #12 were probably thinking "lmao sweet".

The Rangers draft thread from that year is an outstanding read. With each pick leading up to #10, they are getting more and more psyched that one of Tarasenko or Fowler will fall to them. It's full-blown celebration after the 9th pick is in ...and then... *disaster*.

It's even funnier looking back, because at the time the notion was "LOL they spent a #10 pick on Ulf Samuelsson." McIlrath ended up being about 1/10th the player Ulf was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad