Confirmed with Link: Egor Yakovlev signed to a one-year, entry-level contract

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
...unless we see some serious improvement/capabilities from one of Mueller, Santini or Yakovlev. If one of those guys can step into a 2nd pair role and earn it, that would be huge.
Mueller was spectacular in the WC, which gives me hope. Yak was the OAR first pairing LD, so there's that as well.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's so hard to tell these days. We've seen players come over from the KHL and never touch an NHL roster, and we've seen a player come over and become an instant top liner and win the Calder. Just have to wait and see.

I feel like that's easier for a forward or goalie

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yakovlev has a European Assignment Clause in his contract - this probably means if he is assigned to Binghamton he can instead choose to return to Russia.

He's clearly better than people like Dyblenko and Mozik. Doesn't mean he'll be an NHL success, but he is clearly better than them.

Reactions: Classic Devil

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
He was supposedly a top guy for SKA last year. Struggled with injuries this year but still played first-pairing minutes on the Olympic team that won gold.

It's hard to gauge what that really means as far as NHL potential

Generally speaking, it's not good.

That said, I have no problems with them rolling-the-dice on cheap, passable, players like this who you think might be ready to take a big step forward. If that big step never happens (and it probably wont), you've not really lost anything.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Funny to see the difference in reaction to this move and the Russian D that Toronto signed who wasn't even on the Olympics or World Championships team. Yakovlev could very well turn out to be nothing but he's the kind of guy who if signed elsewhere people would be saying "I wish we would have tried signing somebody like that." And he also had options and wants to be here.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yakovlev has a European Assignment Clause in his contract - this probably means if he is assigned to Binghamton he can instead choose to return to Russia.

He's clearly better than people like Dyblenko and Mozik. Doesn't mean he'll be an NHL success, but he is clearly better than them.

Interesting. I think you may be right that that clause being including means he's more likely to be in the NHL. After all, if Ray thought there was a significant chance Yakovlev would be in Bingo, we agree to that clause?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It would be nice if the Devils could get a solid 1st or 2nd pairing guy out of Yakovlev, but that's not realistic. What is realistic is that unless the Devils go hard after a quadruple-A sort of defenseman, they're once again in danger of people like Strait playing in NHL games next season. Yakovlev is a buffer against that, and I hope he plays well enough to make the roster.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I hope this is a lesson that GMs will learn from Vegas. That team is a whole lot of tweeners and maybes. Those guys were given a shot.
I think giving guys opportunities is an undeniable part of the mix in vegas. But I think the situation there is just so unique that I don't think it can be used as a template for established teams.

I do think it speaks to just how mental highly competitive sports is and how environment effects that mental state. I imagine there are lessons to be learned from Vegas.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We definitely need to give Mueller a real shot.

Which really makes things interesting if we're going to try to upgrade on defense. Greene isn't going anywhere and I think we'd all agree that Vatanen, Severson, Mueller, Butcher, and Santini should be regulars. So that's already 6 D, plus Lovejoy as the extra, and/or Yakoklev if he makes the big club.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Which really makes things interesting if we're going to try to upgrade on defense. Greene isn't going anywhere and I think we'd all agree that Vatanen, Severson, Mueller, Butcher, and Santini should be regulars. So that's already 6 D, plus Lovejoy as the extra, and/or Yakoklev if he makes the big club.
I’m gonna get my flame suit ready. I don’t think Santini should be a regular at all. I feel like both him and Mueller are redundant. I know they play different sides, but I feel like they do the same thing and I’d rather ice more mobile guys than two of them. I feel like Mueller has more upside so I think I’d prefer him. Santini did play competent against soft competition in 2016-2017. So it’s not like he’s totally useless. I just don’t think management should balk at upgrading the D this offseason just so that both Mueller and Santini have a spot on the roster.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m gonna get my flame suit ready. I don’t think Santini should be a regular at all. I feel like both him and Mueller are redundant. I know they play different sides, but I feel like they do the same thing and I’d rather ice more mobile guys than two of them. I feel like Mueller has more upside so I think I’d prefer him. Santini did play competent against soft competition in 2016-2017. So it’s not like he’s totally useless. I just don’t think management should balk at upgrading the D this offseason just so that both Mueller and Santini have a spot on the roster.
You better run, as fast as you can to Bogota. And not the boro in Bergen County, the one in Colombia. And that's only if you can't make it down to Antarctica first.:P

Honestly though, it's a numbers game unless somebody gets moved out, I see Santini as the odd man out. Even if somebody does get moved out and we upgrade, someone else might need to also get moved out/injured for him to become a regular again. And that's already assuming that we've said arrivederci to John Moore and that he's not coming back.

This has been my prediction for a while and it still stands, I think Santini starts the season on the NHL roster, but as the 7th/8th defenseman, depending on how many defenseman we carry to start the season. I think a buyout for Lovejoy is a possibility, but I think if he is bought out then it might not be until the second buyout window, which is usually in early August? Let's see what happens. We might very well also see another defenseman traded if we bring in another one as an upgrade via trade. So basically that opens up another spot.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think buying Lovejoy out would be worth the effort. I'd rather just keep him as an extra and then be completely done with him next summer. Is Santini waiver exempt next year again or no?

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Mueller needs a full season. He has great potential. Big, strong, patient and carries the puck well.

Lovejoy has been a problem all season. He doesn't have the foot speed or talent to compete in this league.

Reactions: nugg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You can't buy out Lovejoy during the second buyout window - his salary needs to be above the NHL average for that to happen, and it isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad