Prospect Info: Egor Afanasyev, 45th Overall

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I had this kid as one of the highest ceiling players of that draft with a forecheck to boot, yet hardly hear a peep about him outside PRED circles. Think he should have been a first rounder. Preds got super lucky nabbing him in second.

Always hearing Tomasino hype which is understandable, butI think Egor could eventually be every bit as good. He’s going to shock a lot of people one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: originalpredfan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I had this kid as one of the highest ceiling players of that draft with a forecheck to boot, yet hardly hear a peep about him outside PRED circles. Think he should have been a first rounder. Preds got super lucky nabbing him in second.

Always hearing Tomasino hype which is understandable, butI think Egor could eventually be every bit as good. He’s going to shock a lot of people one day.

Tomasino ended up playing in the AHL which is a bit easier to keep up with. I've managed to catch alot more of Tomasino playing than Afanasyev. Next year I think you'll hear both names alot when they're both playing over here.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Tomasino ended up playing in the AHL which is a bit easier to keep up with. I've managed to catch alot more of Tomasino playing than Afanasyev. Next year I think you'll hear both names alot when they're both playing over here.

YUp. I think foreign and youth players tend to be bigger unknowns. But if you were to ask me who i think will be better in 5 years, Like Nolan Foote, Kaut, Perrault, Weisblatt , NEighbors and others of that ilk, I’d have to say Afanasyev. Not quite Tomasino but not far behind.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So, do you guys think the best development path for Afanasyev right now is playing in the AHL with 4th line plugs 10 minutes a game?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So, do you guys think the best development path for Afanasyev right now is playing in the AHL with 4th line plugs 10 minutes a game?
If he is playing 4th line minutes there is probably a reason for it and it's not because he is doing something right.

At a certain point it's on these players to earn their playing time rather than it just being gifted to them simply because fans had a certain expectation.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If he is playing 4th line minutes there is probably a reason for it and it's not because he is doing something right.

At a certain point it's on these players to earn their playing time rather than it just being gifted to them simply because fans had a certain expectation.
This is why fans aren't in charge of this sort of thing.

The first couple games, some were calling for Fabbro to be put in the pressbox to watch and learn. And, just 5 games ago wanted the same for Tolvanen.
Now, we're talking about rushing this kid to the NHL because of the quality of linemates and minutes in the AHL.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
No, no. Serious question. Wouldn't he be better off playing in some Junior league, say in Russia? I implied that he might not be ready to play against men.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No, no. Serious question. Wouldn't he be better off playing in some Junior league, say in Russia? I implied that he might not be ready to play against men.
Well Afanaseyev isn't junior aged anymore, right? He's 20, turning 21. I don't know if the MHL has any exception for overagers, but still, you don't ever want to see a guy playing as an overager in junior, that's not a good sign. Besides he kind of wrecked that league already last year when got sent there for a short stint from the KHL, 5 goals in 4 games anyway.

I don't think we need to see a player tear apart the AHL in his first pro season. Look at Trenin, Jeannot, probably numerous others... 11 or 14 points or whatever they get in their first year isn't the end of the world, the AHL is a tough step too for most prospects. Afanaseyev has 9 pts in 23 games, he's not ripping it up the way we though he might based on training camp, maybe that made us forget that he's not some blue-chip NHL 1st round pick. So instead it looks like it might take him another year or two there. That's fine. It's still the right place for him to be.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Ah gotcha.

He can't get adjusted to the rink size and style of play over there so I'm not sure it really helps him, maybe if you want to wait for him to come over at 25 looking for a Kaprisov type transition.

Everything in his life has changed dramatically over the last five months so I think it'll be the same answer I gave for Tolvanen and Tomasino in the NHL. Have some patience and let things play out a little before worrying about making moves. You also have to remember he is being developed by an NHL developmental staff right now, who will be in charge of that in Europe/Russia?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad