Prospect Info: Egor Afanasyev, 45th Overall

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Obviously still a raw talent but his upside is pretty tempting.. hopefully we're able to develop him correctly.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Watched the whole game and god damn he has some soft mitts. That combined with his size makes up for a scary package.. I'm liking this pick so far.

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He had a pretty decent final game. More noticeable with the elevated opportunity than the last game. I would say after watching just 2 games plus some bits and pieces - so take with suitable grains of salt - that he was "just ok" overall. A bit like a latter-day FForsberg on his bad nights... he has good skill, good hands, good size relative to this age group.... so he got a few chances and set up a couple chances, so you noticed him in the game when the puck ended up on his stick. But overall I guess he would benefit a lot from having a little more... ?urgency?... to his game? :dunno:

I think he's going to need to find that extra gear to make it in the NHL. His skill and size will get him in the door, but not standing out as a senior in this type of tournament says to me that he still has some things to work on, and I'd say work on the motor. Send him back to Russia for this year, maybe be ready to have him stay there all next year too, and just work on adding that extra pace to his game.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Russia looked off the entire tournament, especially later on. Afanasyev looked better than most but nothing special. Still, I wouldn't judge too much based on what Russia showed in that tournament.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That pass he made through the crease in the 1st yesterday was incredible, too bad it wasn't finished with a goal but it was close.
He makes nice passes and has good vision, for sure. He's definitely not any kind of one-trick pony in the offensive zone, he sees the ice well and is just as adept at finding his linemates as at getting his shot away. The game before he cycled it back out from behind the net for a really good chance for his teammate too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad