Prospect Info: Egor Afanasyev, 45th Overall

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What's the NHL potential on this kid? Another Trenin or does he have more scoring in him?
I suspect he'll either make it as a scoring forward or he'll go more the way of the Aberg types. Or call it Kamenev types, I guess. He has such good size. But it's really his skill game so far that seems to be his bread and butter as a prospect. :dunno:

And that's fine. For where we drafted him, he's trending as well as could ever be hoped so far. :crossfing

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
one good thing about SKA and CSKA is that they have the best staff, facilities etc in the country available to them that some of the smaller teams in the league wouldn't have.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
one good thing about SKA and CSKA is that they have the best staff, facilities etc in the country available to them that some of the smaller teams in the league wouldn't have.
And the flip side for a junior age player there is he isn't going to actually play for them, probably. Not the KHL team anyway. But it wasn't like he was playing games in the OHL either, so at least there's a chance.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We have Wayyy to many players playing in the KHL right now. I don’t like the chances of them coming back.
Why would we even want them to come back? There is no hockey being played here. So let them play there. Afanaseyev, Trenin, and Tolvanen are all under contract to us. They're coming back... if and when there's hockey here for them to come back to.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does anyone know why some guys' rights stay with their teams forever, while other guys' rights eventually expire? (Radulov, Kovalchuk)
It just depends on the NHL transfer agreement in place. Currently the NHL has basically all member IIHF countries except Russia in place. Switzerland just recently signed, so I think Russians are all that's left. There have been various agreements or partial agreements at times in the past, though, which might have affected older players. But now the general rule of thumb is that would only happen to Russian picks playing in Russia, basically.

This might be a little out of date, but it gives the basics from the last CBA, before anything new that might have come along (in the recent MOU extension or per new transfer agreement with Switzerland, etc):

Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: GoldOnGold

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Does anybody know if he’ll be playing tomorrow in the matchup against St. Petersburg? I’d love to watch Afanasyev go head to head against Trenin and Askarov but it appears he hasn’t played a game yet.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does anybody know if he’ll be playing tomorrow in the matchup against St. Petersburg? I’d love to watch Afanasyev go head to head against Trenin and Askarov but it appears he hasn’t played a game yet.
Don't know, but I suspect it is going to be really hard for him to get game action on that team as a teenager. :( Looks like that team hasn't had a direct Covid hit yet where they'd call on all the reserves, like some other teams have. It wouldn't be the worst thing to just get him in some VHL/MHL action instead? :dunno:

Reactions: nashpreds

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Don't know, but I suspect it is going to be really hard for him to get game action on that team as a teenager. :( Looks like that team hasn't had a direct Covid hit yet where they'd call on all the reserves, like some other teams have. It wouldn't be the worst thing to just get him in some VHL/MHL action instead? :dunno:
I was hopeful to be able to see him against top competition, but alas it seems he won’t be getting the chance any time soon. The only one playing today is Trenin, Askarov didn’t even get the start

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Would he merit a 9 day tryout with Nashville. The kid is a gronk and I have to ask, can you stagger tryouts? First 9 game Tomassino, then next 9 days Egor?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would he merit a 9 day tryout with Nashville. The kid is a gronk and I have to ask, can you stagger tryouts? First 9 game Tomassino, then next 9 days Egor?
No, that's not really necessary. Don't forget, 90% of the MHL will never be drafted. It's all well and good to rip that league up, but it's at best on par with the OHL, or maybe slightly below from a NA-style of gameplay. He's still a junior-aged player and there's no need to advance the timeline with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad