Post-Game Talk (GBU): Effort, Leino, Officiating

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
G:
- I thought it was mostly the same performance wise for a lot of the players. The high effort style has definitely helped this team.
- Pretty good job by most of the forward lines tonight. Cody, Ennis, Moulson, Girgs, Ott, Stafford have all played solid both games. The bottom lines have done their jobs.
- D was alright. Risto has been playing really well, Myers was good (although these open shots from the slot need to go in), Ehrhoff was alright, and Pysyk continues to be the most solid every day defenseman on the team. Also, McBain played decent and had a nice goal. Still not a big fan of his.

B:
- Leino was especially bad tonight. Every time he touched the puck it was a turnover where he usually got knocked off the puck. Nolan has given a decent enough opportunity and he's made nothing of it.
- Haven't liked Tallinder at all. His value is being a veteran but man is he a shell of his former self.

U:
- New thirds a week away.

I think we saw the other side of a less talented but hard working team tonight... some teams get the bounces early and they were pretty deflated. Made a nice effort to come back but fell short. I imagine we'll see a lot of games like this for the rest of the year. Losing games where the young players seem to get better but at the same time playing hard is kinda the ideal situation for the rebuild here. Having the kids play well but still end up with a top pick.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think you're taking it wrong.

I don't think it was meant as a rip on Enroth.

Just saying he wanted to get a look at Enroth before "riding the horse"

thanks. i think you're right. i didn't hear it right. your explanation makes sense.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Interim Sabres coach Ted Nolan had a strong message for his new team following the first period.

“Ted came in and told us and said, ‘You guys are garbage,’†Sabres tough guy John Scott said.

Lmao, I want a video of that.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Honestly, this is the type of game that you want from your tank squad. Ultimately, it's a loss, but they showed some real heart and compete in the 3rd.

Girgensons is going to be such a beast in this league.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My main good here is that in 2 consecutive back to back games, there was no quit in the Buffalo Sabres. That's a welcome change of attitude.

I also like that guys are sticking up for each other. Ott…after the break your back hit on McBain….even though Ott kinda got clocked on that one, And Cody for Scott on Phaeauf.

The refereeing was terribly slanted but Leino did kick Lupul's (?) right (?) foot out from under him. Not a good time to do that and it took away any chance we had of tying it up. Worse, Scott did nothing wrong but was sent to the locker room nonetheless. It looked to me on replay that after he was tackled to the ice that Franson (? #4) was bending over him and punched John in the head while he was being held down on the ice by another Leaf. (Anyone else catch that? Or do I have that wrong?…. Only saw the replay once...)

I sure hope the dots start to connect for Stafford and he's able to pot a goal or two. Right now, he's expending energy and intensity and I commend him for that. But he's something of a turnover machine. Esp. along the boards in our zone. I don;t understand why he gets as much ice time as he does. Plus, he and Hodgson don't look to have the necessary chemistry yet (ever?). I.e.; In the 3rd, Hodgson busts his hump going to the corner to recover the puck and centers it right to the high slot. Great set up. But Staff doesn't fill that lane because he's positioned himself over closer to the boards thinking (I guess) that CoHo's going to bounce pass the puck off the boards.

Wonder if they're talking to each other out there?

I'm also pretty sure it was Hodgson I saw playing some decent D in his own zone tonight.

I love the Hoff and feel he's one of our best players but he sure is making some mental errors out there right now and trying to force the puck into places it cannot go.

Really liked the play of Pysyk and Risto. Not perfect but both are playing well. Esp. as rookies. Myers has picked his game up too.

Tallinder got lost a couple of times out there - and goals resulted. Little worried about Hank getting turned around and losing track of his assignments.

Nice that McBain contributed one.

Overall. if they had to lose, they can absolutely hold their heads up 'cause they played well. I'm enjoying watching this team again.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
It definitely looks like their effort has been turned up. But more importantly to me is that they are playing with more confidence. I'd like to see Grigorenko let loose without fear of being bashed for making a mistake. I really like Myers game since the coaching change. I don't think its effort. I think that the limitations have been removed and he can get out of his mind and just play.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I also like that guys are sticking up for each other. Ott…after the break your back hit on McBain….even though Ott kinda got clocked on that one, And Cody for Scott on Phaeauf.

The refereeing was terribly slanted but Leino did kick Lupul's (?) right (?) foot out from under him. Not a good time to do that and it took away any chance we had of tying it up. Worse, Scott did nothing wrong but was sent to the locker room nonetheless. It looked to me on replay that after he was tackled to the ice that Franson (? #4) was bending over him and punched John in the head while he was being held down on the ice by another Leaf. (Anyone else catch that? Or do I have that wrong?…. Only saw the replay once...)

Ott landed about 3 straight punches and then missed his 4th punch and caught him with a grazing elbow as Clarkson went down to the ice. Though you could only see that part of the fight during the replay since it was off camera. I actually thought Ott won the fight personally due to that sequence not that it matters I guess, its not some boxing/mma match lol.

Leino didn't adjust his legs at all nor were they stretched out, the guy just backed into Leino and fell over his leg. If Leino had his legs in any tighter he would've been cross-legged lol. As much as I HATE Leino he did no wrong there. For the refs to make that call there after ignoring so much garbage before that is the typical BS I see in the NHL where the refs ice the game for the other team.

Oh well, Larsson time!?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Refs are a joke....When will we see Shanaban out skating around in zebra stripes refereeing Sabres games ?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It was ridiculous that Scott and Mclaren got 4 and 10. Scott didnt do anything and all Mclaren did was tackle Scott

Meanwhile Orr goes kamikaze on McCormick while he's engaged with Phaneuf. But he isn't tossed from the game?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
John Scott has been playing some good hockey. Yes I just said that.

Nolan told him to focus on playing hockey and not go looking for fights. The fights will take care of themselves.

Some fans may be surprised to learn Nolan doesn't like staged fights.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I love the new direction Buffalo is heading. Nolan and LaFontaine will steer us in the right course. Be patient grasshoppers!

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I liked the comeback and the effort they put in to it. It was almost hopeless but they really did bring it despite that. Excellent to see. I actually liked Scott, McBain, Girgensons, Myers and McCormick especially. That is, of course, apart from Ott who's been the captain he should be and probably my player of the game both nights.

The only players I think didn't have a good game were Enroth and Leino. Leino really is struggling to find his game within the Sabres and doesn't seem to fit. I'm starting to think trading him for whatever we can get is really the only long term option (short of a buyout), I don't see his game fitting in with the team. Enroth wasn't sharp. He wasn't bad but he wasn't great either. His young and needs to bounce back, but at this stage I still pin the 'got potential' badge on him and like him as a backup. Where that leaves us with Miller I don't know.

I can't believe it but I even liked Stafford. I'm not sure his good on the top line, but I did like his game.

The officiating was woeful.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
John Scott has been playing some good hockey. Yes I just said that.

Nolan told him to focus on playing hockey and not go looking for fights. The fights will take care of themselves.

Some fans may be surprised to learn Nolan doesn't like staged fights.

I 100% agree with Nolan on that. Don't see the point in them myself. I also agree about Scott, guy should pick up some points at this rate (a statement which is almost heart attack worthy).

I can't believe I'm saying this but if Scotts game can change this much, maybe Kaleta is worth a try, maybe he can improve him and help him find that balance and change is reputation like Cooke has.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nolan said he doesn't like it when the guys aren't mad at each other. By the time things got to the McCormick-Phaneuf-Ott thing, I'm sure they were all plenty mad at one another.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
What should the Sabres do about the ridiculous officiating Saturday? Specifically the attack on MacCormick and the jump of Scott from behind leading to his getting penalized for being a victim. There should be some review of this shoddy and biased officiating.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Upsetting that Leino had issue with Ruff and then Rolston and voiced it. There is a pattern there that is worth noticing, and with Nolan demanding more, it has potential for Leino to be upset again. CBO imo.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Huh?? You ain't talking about the Raymond goal I hope?!!? Myers was the one that was weak there.

Ehrhoff hits a leaf player in the back with the clearing attempt, and Enroth doesnt leave the crease to challenge the shooter, Myers is third in line for that one

theres no reason for a 5ft 10 goalie not to be out of the paint to challenge that shooter and cut down the angles when he has 0 traffic in front

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Ott landed about 3 straight punches and then missed his 4th punch and caught him with a grazing elbow as Clarkson went down to the ice. Though you could only see that part of the fight during the replay since it was off camera. I actually thought Ott won the fight personally due to that sequence not that it matters I guess, its not some boxing/mma match lol.

Leino didn't adjust his legs at all nor were they stretched out, the guy just backed into Leino and fell over his leg. If Leino had his legs in any tighter he would've been cross-legged lol. As much as I HATE Leino he did no wrong there. For the refs to make that call there after ignoring so much garbage before that is the typical BS I see in the NHL where the refs ice the game for the other team.

Oh well, Larsson time!?

Sorry, but I didn't have a chance to respond/clarify until now…. Ott went off like a firecracker with throwing those punches but after losing his balance, ended up under Clarkson who I thought landed a few (remember one upper cut to jaw). Also, Ott went to the penalty box shaking his hand.

Leino accidentally got his feet tangled up. Not a deliberate stupid penalty. Just one of those things that happen. But the timing couldn't have been worse.

I agree the ref could have let it go given the situation, score, momentum, etc.. But I think the combination of home town pressure and the fact that the play resulted in a change of possession, ended up swaying the ref to make the call.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It was ridiculous that Scott and Mclaren got 4 and 10. Scott didnt do anything and all Mclaren did was tackle Scott

Meanwhile Orr goes kamikaze on McCormick while he's engaged with Phaneuf. But he isn't tossed from the game?

And then Orr goes back to the box with a few seconds left just in case there's a good chance to goon it up :shakehead

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Sorry, but I didn't have a chance to respond/clarify until now…. Ott went off like a firecracker with throwing those punches but after losing his balance, ended up under Clarkson who I thought landed a few (remember one upper cut to jaw). Also, Ott went to the penalty box shaking his hand.

Leino accidentally got his feet tangled up. Not a deliberate stupid penalty. Just one of those things that happen. But the timing couldn't have been worse.

I agree the ref could have let it go given the situation, score, momentum, etc.. But I think the combination of home town pressure and the fact that the play resulted in a change of possession, ended up swaying the ref to make the call.

Yeah Clarkson started beating him up after they got up. It was as if Ott figured the fight was over already.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ehrhoff hits a leaf player in the back with the clearing attempt, and Enroth doesnt leave the crease to challenge the shooter, Myers is third in line for that one

theres no reason for a 5ft 10 goalie not to be out of the paint to challenge that shooter and cut down the angles when he has 0 traffic in front

He's always deep in the crease, relies on reflexes. Kid is not a good positional goalie and that will do him in long-term. Reminds me of Jacques Cloutier -- he'll be star at times, bum others

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
He's always deep in the crease, relies on reflexes. Kid is not a good positional goalie and that will do him in long-term. Reminds me of Jacques Cloutier -- he'll be star at times, bum others

Described perfectly. The days of reflex goalies in this league are waning. I hate saying that, because that's how I played. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad