Vaccine and vaccination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Per Reuters a vaccine effective at 90% could be made available before the end of the year : 1,3 billion doses could be ready for 2021

this is the best news we had in a while. We can vaccine first health care people, elderly. Good news for hockey return as well.

'GREAT DAY FOR SCIENCE AND HUMANITY': Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine is over 90% effective | Canoe.Com

Mod update: Moderna says preliminary trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective, shares soar
The analysis evaluated 95 confirmed Covid-19 infections among the trial’s 30,000 participants. Moderna, which developed its vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said 90 cases of Covid-19 were observed in the placebo group versus five cases observed in the group that received its two-dose vaccine. That resulted in an estimated vaccine efficacy of 94.5%, it said.
The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company also said there were no “significant” safety concerns, adding the vaccine was generally safe and well tolerated with the majority of adverse events in participants being labeled as mild or moderate. Side effects included pain at the injection site and, after the second dose, fatigue, muscle pain and headaches.
Medical experts note it remains unclear how long the vaccine provides immunity and whether or how often people may need periodic booster shots.
Moderna said Monday its vaccine remains stable at 36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator, for up to 30 days. It can be stored for up to six months at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit. By comparison, Pfizer’s vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
roll out would be a nightmare but this is great news regardless - even if the timelines are skewed it just shows we are getting there and understanding the virus more and more.

I am hopeful for 2021 to be back to some normalcy by April but I wont be shocked if it isn't.

Reactions: 42

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm now reading we'll still need masks. It seems to me there are people that get off on misery. Maybe we'll need masks for some time but why would be need masks if we get a critical mass of people on the vaccine? Do these people just want to get clicks or something?

Reactions: Avs9296

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'm now reading we'll still need masks. It seems to me there are people that get off on misery. Maybe we'll need masks for some time but why would be need masks if we get a critical mass of people on the vaccine? Do these people just want to get clicks or something?
Not having read what you are referring to, maybe they mean before we reach critical mass? It will take awhile to get there.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012

Yeah that is probably until at the least the most vulnerable is vaccinated and we reach some level of herd immunity

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Pfizer gunning for some good figures at the Stock market and publicity. The vaccine is not yet out there amongst folks. Gotta wait whit the celebrating until its succesfull in that area. What happened to the Russian ongoing vaccination-program?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Great news but some caution is in order. This announcement doesn't mean a vaccine is imminent. The 90% effectiveness analysis, from an independent data monitoring board, looked at 94 infections recorded so far in a study that has enrolled nearly 44,000 people in the U.S. and five other countries. That is too small a sample size. We need more data for higher confidence in the conclusion.

Also, it's unlikely any vaccine will arrive much before the end of the year, and limited initial supplies will be rationed.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Great news but some caution is in order. This announcement doesn't mean a vaccine is imminent. The 90% effectiveness analysis, from an independent data monitoring board, looked at 94 infections recorded so far in a study that has enrolled nearly 44,000 people in the U.S. and five other countries. That is too small a sample size. We need more data before

Also, it's unlikely any vaccine will arrive much before the end of the year, and limited initial supplies will be rationed.
Exactly. I'm hopeful that by this time in 2021 a vaccine will be out for some amount of public use.

Reactions: Seedtype and 42

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Great news but some caution is in order. This announcement doesn't mean a vaccine is imminent. The 90% effectiveness analysis, from an independent data monitoring board, looked at 94 infections recorded so far in a study that has enrolled nearly 44,000 people in the U.S. and five other countries. That is too small a sample size. We need more data before

It doesn't sound like a lot, but for what it's worth the final sample size is planned to be 164 confirmed infections. I think based on the number of people participating in the trial and the likelihood of catching it, ~100 is actually a pretty decent size.
Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study
We will continue to collect further data as the trial continues to enroll for a final analysis planned when a total of 164 confirmed COVID-19 cases have accrued.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Echoing what Montag said, it could take a while before enough people get the vaccine. When it's approved, you should only expect to see it go to healthcare personnel, first responders, and the very highest risk individuals. That's not going to be nearly enough to reduce mask usage. We'll be well into 2021 before it's widespread enough that masks may start to be unnecessary.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Exactly. I'm hopeful that by this time in 2021 a vaccine will be out for some amount of public use.
US will be vaccinating their people in December 2020. Canada has already pre purchased (no refunds) 20 million doses of this vaccine back in August. We will be vaccinating early in 2021. By this time next year there will be at least five effective vaccines in use around the planet, and 100’s of millions will have been protected.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Great news!! Wonder how this will effect the upcoming NHL season
Vaccinating begins in late 2020, so the league starts Jan 1, 2021 in four divisions, one of which is the Canadian teams. Teams play within their divisions for 40 something games, which takes us into March. By then the border is open, and teams play inter division games until the playoffs start in May.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Yeah, I think some are being overly optimistic re: timeline for general population vaccination... I think sometime in the second half of 2021 would be more realistic considering it still must get approval and that it requires two doses. Also, this particular vaccine must be stored in an extremely cold environment which 'limits' the distribution/logistics of vaccination roll-out.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Vaccinating begins in late 2020, so the league starts Jan 1, 2021 in four divisions, one of which is the Canadian teams. Teams play within their divisions for 40 something games, which takes us into March. By then the border is open, and teams play inter division games until the playoffs start in May.

This actually sounds very possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->