Prospect Info: Eero Elo

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Metro Peewees

Oct 19, 2008
Philly Stupid
I'm not sure how many fans watched the USA/Finland game tonight but I was extremly impressed with Wild draft pick Eero Elo. He had one of the Finish goals, he appears to move very well and shoots the puck better than most. What did everyone else think?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Well at least he has the best shot in the Finnish team. Hopefully some team picks him to play SM-Liiga the rest of the season...

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I've watched him throughout this tournament and think that he has just been average. Yes, he did score a goal last night and is decent going north-south, going to the net, but lacks hockey sense, positioning and speed. He has iced the puck when not pressured, thrown the puck into the middle (led to goals against Sweden) and been overloading the same side on the PP when he would have been open.

I guess I just question his hockey sense. Every time I've seen him in the offensive zone, he shoots the puck as soon as he gets it. That is great many times when players try to get too fancy but he has shown 0 playmaking ability throughout the tournament.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Here´s his 1st SM-liiga goal from a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X6H8thQG20

He has been very effective right away. His goal scoring touch is very rare for a Finn. He has played 7 or 8 games now with no powerplay time and has scored 4 goals, all of them very nice. Usually a hard, accurate wrister that leaves the goalies helpless.

This guy will be a beast if he can develop his skating. Lukko has a good training program and a professional skater as a skating coach so it should help him over the summer if he is willing to work. Of course he also needs more muscle for that big frame. But this guy looks like an NHL level goal scorer in the making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI6x_VomnRU

His goal at 0:35-0:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCtlvxB4Lts

His goal at 1:20

Last edited:

Lifer

Dec 29, 2009
Minnesota
After watching his highlights I like what I see. It will be interesting to see what he does when he fills out, and then comes over to this side of the pond. If the Wild are still basically team Finland by the time he gets here, how much will that help his development? I would think having guys like Koivu and Backstrom around would be beneficial for a young Finnish kid.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Big Bump.

Eero Elo is currently leading the SM-Liiga in goals with 20. Can any of the resident fins tell us if he turned into a player with borderline NHL potential?

Just found it hiliarious to see him up there. Wondering if its a stretch of puck luck or what.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Big Bump.

Eero Elo is currently leading the SM-Liiga in goals with 20. Can any of the resident fins tell us if he turned into a player with borderline NHL potential?

Just found it hiliarious to see him up there. Wondering if its a stretch of puck luck or what.

From what I've heard, he has a great shot, and that's about it. I think he wouldn't be doing so well if he was here on the team.

But yes, would be interested to hear from someone who watches him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He is a one-dimensional opportunistic sniper. Doesn't score enough for NHL and provides little else.

Sounds like a good guy to take a flyer on at the draft, and hope everything else (defense, puck possession, etc) comes around to at least acceptable levels. In this case it didn't. I wish the Wild would take more risks on picks like this one. You've got to swing for the fences if you want to hit a home run.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We did draft him in 2008.

I want to sign him just because of his name. Goals would be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad