Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm a zig when everyone zags guy. Put in Tolvanen and see. If he needs out put in Tomassino for 9 games. If that fails, call TBJ about Stamkos, I am quite serious, or another wing. OR option 2, wait it out and try for a rebuild.

But back to thread. I'm reading him as a 40-50 pts guy. He's streaky goal wise....which is common for goal scorers. His streaks happen at the end of the season which tells me he can pull a team towards the playoffs. If he is more of a playmaker then he will fuel Duchene and RW TBNL which is cool with me because we know Duchene can be a goal scorer.

20-21 is going to be a weird year, let's wait it out.
Well, we're going to wait it out either way, since Tolvanen has gone past the threshold now of having any particular trade value, so the only thing we CAN do is wait it out. His value to us if by some chance he does ever get back on track is now officially higher than his trade market value, so we have no practical alternative but to just watch and wait.

It's hard to say that his post draft season in the KHL was entirely a "hot streak", since it lasted most of the year and crossed multiple teams and stages. But whatever it was, it sure seems like he has regressed in some way since then. Of course, most will say he worked on his defensive game, became more sound and responsible as a two-way player, etc, etc in the 2 years in Milwaukee. Ok. But his offensive game seems to have stalled out in the process, and that's what we really need him for. If you had to call it in the air right now, this kind of stall is one that prospects usually can't recover from. If he can't be a top scorer in the KHL or AHL right now after 4 years of playing in those leagues, then the odds of him pulling out of it are probably not great, and wouldn't lead one to expect he could be at all able of playing in the NHL right now either.

So now we wait it out. He'll be 22 after this season. Thanks to his early slide years he's still exempt from the Expansion draft, and he'll still be exempt from waivers for 2021-22. So we have all this year and all next to just let things play out a little further. Maybe he'll find a way to flip the switch back on offensively. Maybe he won't. We have all of this coming season and all of the one after that to just wait and see.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tolvanen will be what he is. His trade value isn't much. Give him a real shot in the NHL this season. We'll atleast get a good idea if it's time to fish or cut bait.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Jokerit has had awful COVID issues. I am not sure how much benefit he has ended up getting with his time there. They seem to go on quarantine every other week or 2.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well, we're going to wait it out either way, since Tolvanen has gone past the threshold now of having any particular trade value, so the only thing we CAN do is wait it out. His value to us if by some chance he does ever get back on track is now officially higher than his trade market value, so we have no practical alternative but to just watch and wait.

It's hard to say that his post draft season in the KHL was entirely a "hot streak", since it lasted most of the year and crossed multiple teams and stages. But whatever it was, it sure seems like he has regressed in some way since then. Of course, most will say he worked on his defensive game, became more sound and responsible as a two-way player, etc, etc in the 2 years in Milwaukee. Ok. But his offensive game seems to have stalled out in the process, and that's what we really need him for. If you had to call it in the air right now, this kind of stall is one that prospects usually can't recover from. If he can't be a top scorer in the KHL or AHL right now after 4 years of playing in those leagues, then the odds of him pulling out of it are probably not great, and wouldn't lead one to expect he could be at all able of playing in the NHL right now either.

So now we wait it out. He'll be 22 after this season. Thanks to his early slide years he's still exempt from the Expansion draft, and he'll still be exempt from waivers for 2021-22. So we have all this year and all next to just let things play out a little further. Maybe he'll find a way to flip the switch back on offensively. Maybe he won't. We have all of this coming season and all of the one after that to just wait and see.

Three years and 17 games.

Yes, he will be 22 on April 22, 2021, 5 months from yesterday.

His first season in Milwaukee he had 15 G and 20 A in 58 games and -8.

In season two in Milwaukee he had 21 G and 15 A in 63 games and +2.

Release him. He is scoring too much to play in Nashville. He is matching Craig Smith. Oh, the horror!!!

I like the wait and see.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I haven't given up on Tolvanen being an NHL player at all, but I am sure glad we have a few more prospects in the pipeline to be excited about right now because if we were still pinning all of our future hopes to this guy it would be pretty depressing.

Only positive of thinking about a few tough seasons ahead is adding more quality prospects for the next era of Preds hockey.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Next year, I think Tomasino and Tolvanen will be competing for the same spot in the lineup and given what's happened recently, that spot is Tomasino's to lose. Having said that, ultimately I think Tomasino will get his 9 games with the Preds and return back to the OHL, which will open up the spot for Tolvanen.

For the 9 games, obviously if Tomasino shows he belongs in the NHL, then I think Tolvanen will spent another year in the AHL and be an injury call-up.

That's just how I see it, anyway.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Next year, I think Tomasino and Tolvanen will be competing for the same spot in the lineup and given what's happened recently, that spot is Tomasino's to lose. Having said that, ultimately I think Tomasino will get his 9 games with the Preds and return back to the OHL, which will open up the spot for Tolvanen.

For the 9 games, obviously if Tomasino shows he belongs in the NHL, then I think Tolvanen will spent another year in the AHL and be an injury call-up.

That's just how I see it, anyway.

By "next year" do you mean this coming season which is supposed to start in January? If so, do we even know if juniors are going to be playing for Tomasino to have a landing spot?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
By "next year" do you mean this coming season which is supposed to start in January? If so, do we even know if juniors are going to be playing for Tomasino to have a landing spot?

Yeah, next season. If it ever starts. I figured they'd get OHL started since they're already playing college hockey South of the Border where the COVID-situation is much worse.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I've really liked Tolvanen's play the past couple of games. I hope he gets some more opportunities - his TOI is still pretty low (but it's been gradually going up).
I noticed he had a few defensive zone starts last night. His defensive game looks really mature so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad