Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Trade Smith, Watson, Sissons, Jarnkrok, and/or Turris

Add Tomisino, Tolvanen, Trenin, Pitlick

That would certainly shake things up.. but I don't know if a roster turnover that big is good after all. We need some experience and solid two-way play in the bottom-6, something those kids don't probably have that much.

At most, I'd like to see two of those youngsters in the lineup. Anything more and we're banking on a major breakthrough from them and that's not something you build a championship around to.

I'd say our biggest need this offseason that needs addressing is the two vacant winger spots in the 2nd line. In my mind, the other one can be someone from the group you mentioned.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Trade Smith, Watson, Sissons, Jarnkrok, and/or Turris

Add Tomisino, Tolvanen, Trenin, Pitlick
I don't think there's much use in scapegoating Sissons or Watson for the season... there is only so much grit we can afford to lose from an already-way-too-soft lineup.

But I wouldn't mind putting the youngsters on the 2nd line and just living with whatever comes of that. Run that line out there with Duchene, trial by fire, come hell or high water, etc... it's not like they can do any worse than what we just saw from the tossed salad it has been lately.

JoFA
Tolvanen-Duchene-Tomasino
Grimaldi-Bonino-Trenin
Pitlick-Sissons-Watson
Blackwell
.... something like that would be totally fine by me. But if you additionally subtract Sissons and Watson from that... ?

And then we need the new faces on D as well.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think there's much use in scapegoating Sissons or Watson for the season... there is only so much grit we can afford to lose from an already-way-too-soft lineup.

But I wouldn't mind putting the youngsters on the 2nd line and just living with whatever comes of that. Run that line out there with Duchene, trial by fire, come hell or high water, etc... it's not like they can do any worse than what we just saw from the tossed salad it has been lately.

JoFA
Grimaldi-Bonino-Trenin
Pitlick-Sissons-Watson
Blackwell
.... something like that would be totally fine by me. But if you additionally subtract Sissons and Watson from that... ?

Grit and size is great and all and if we lose Trenin then I would keep Watson. I don't know what we could get from him in a trade anyways, but I'd probably look to trade him this offseason. He has some value as being the tough guy on our team, hitting people and killing penalties but he pretty much makes our 4th line, or any line he's on, ineffective. And he makes $1.5M for 3 years, which is a bit rich for a 4th liner. I'd be willing to give his spot to a cheaper, younger and hungrier player.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Trenin replaces Watson's grit and how gritty was Sissons to begin with?

Watson to me just lost his edge, all he ended up being was the guy throwing the hit mostly when the puck was going the other way. His forechecking was awful.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
For me this next season is a transition season. Yeah we all want to make the playoffs but it's time for the younger guys to either get with it or get going.

Guys like Jarnkrok, Sissons and Watson have had more than ample time to show you what they are. By this point they are either part of the future or they aren't. If they aren't it's time to get them headed out the door over the next season or so.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Trenin replaces Watson's grit and how gritty was Sissons to begin with?

Watson to me just lost his edge, all he ended up being was the guy throwing the hit mostly when the puck was going the other way. His forechecking was awful.
I agree that Watson started falling behind the play too much this season. He still may have helped make some D hurry their plays or feel some pain afterwards, though. And he lost some icetime from the coaches as a result, be that chicken or egg or both. But nevertheless... here's our list of Hits leaders for the past 4 seasons combined:

Watson 570
Sissons 433
Forsberg 365
Irwin 326
Johansen 298
Smith 290

... so imagine we lose Watson and Sissons in addition to Irwin(!) and Smith from that list... I mean Trenin would hopefully come in and give us at least-Smith level numbers with some added weight behind it. But losing the top 2 off the list would definitely be felt. I know they both had sub-par seasons in 2019-20, but they aren't super-old and we are pretty desperate for the elements they would normally bring.

Considering the chaos that was 2019-20 for us, I wouldn't be in a rush to move Sissons and Watson anyway. If you get 10-10 numbers from Watson and 15-15 from Sissons like in previous years... they're actually pretty "elite" for 4th liners. And worth those salaries. I mean, I'd listen on either of them. But I wouldn't make it an off-season goal to trade them. It'd be better if 2019-20 just turned out to be a blip and we got back to their previous season levels of play. Which shouldn't be too much of a stretch, they aren't old and shouldn't be declining.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

JoFA
Grimaldi-Bonino-Trenin
Pitlick-Sissons-Watson
Blackwell

Those lines get you a top 5 pick in 21-22. There is no where near enough scoring to be competitive in a league whose GPG has been north on 3 for two years now. I mean I see where you are coming from but That middle six would be the weakest maybe in the league. Now if you want to be the Buffalo Sabres for 5 years or so that is the right approach. It will ensure 3 years at least picking top five.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

JoFA
Grimaldi-Bonino-Trenin
Pitlick-Sissons-Watson
Blackwell

I pretty much never agree with the above user but I agree with him here, that is an ugly lineup. I don't think that gets us anywhere near the playoffs, especially accounting the uncertain situation in goal on top of that lineup.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
It sure would be nice if ET would turn into a player like Elias Petterson (Van) or someone similar! We sure could use a young player with that kind of skill!

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Tolvanen shouldn't be traded anymore, the time to capitalize on the most trade value he had came and went.
Now we should hope that he will be a long time winger for us, for better for worse.

The Kid is just 21! Pavel Daytsuk was 23 when he was drafted. I think we need to give the kid a break and let him grow and mature, like we did Fiala! :skeptic: Now listen to everyone wishing he was still wearing the Gold. IIRC FF9 blossomed into a really good forward when he was 21!

Reactions: adsfan

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, that hot streak in the KHL was probably the worst thing that could have happen to him in terms of expectations and hype. He's 21 now, this is the year he should take a big step into becoming a top 6 guy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It sure would be nice if ET would turn into a player like Elias Petterson (Van) or someone similar! We sure could use a young player with that kind of skill!
Well I don't see him driving plays like a Pettersson, that's too much to hope for. But if he can basically pop 25-30 goals in his best year and give us a trigger man on the PP, that would help.

What are Tyler Toffoli's stats? Somebody like that who can be a complementary scorer on a line, but not exactly overpower anybody is all I'm really thinking of for Tolvanen's upside. Which is still something that helps our team.
:dunno:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He seems to be having an ok start in the KHL. If he keeps progressing, he could build on that when he comes back.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well I don't see him driving plays like a Pettersson, that's too much to hope for. But if he can basically pop 25-30 goals in his best year and give us a trigger man on the PP, that would help.

What are Tyler Toffoli's stats? Somebody like that who can be a complementary scorer on a line, but not exactly overpower anybody is all I'm really thinking of for Tolvanen's upside. Which is still something that helps our team.
:dunno:
Tyler Toffoli Stats and News

TT has been a teens to twenties sort of mid-line winger. He struggled to crack the Canucks lineup after the trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tyler Toffoli Stats and News

TT has been a teens to twenties sort of mid-line winger. He struggled to crack the Canucks lineup after the trade.
Right, that's about where my "upside" hope is for Tolvanen. That's not a bad thing, in my mind. There are probably quite a few players around the league in roughly that category, Toffoli was just the first that sprang to mind.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Right, that's about where my "upside" hope is for Tolvanen. That's not a bad thing, in my mind. There are probably quite a few players around the league in roughly that category, Toffoli was just the first that sprang to mind.
I'd be ok with him potting in the 20s on a fair contract. I'd rather have a well-rounded team that wins than a couple of superstars surrounded with recycled spare parts.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->