Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like this. Who knows what the 2020-21 NHL season will look like. Might as well get anybody we can playing elsewhere in the meantime. And Tolvanen had huge success in the KHL last time around, so this should be a perfect springboard to the next NHL season whenever it happens.

Any of our prospects who are open to this kind of assignment, get them on a plane, I'd say.

Reactions: Scoresberg

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I'd be a bit worried that, if he makes the team, he might run out of gas late in the season after so many games. If we go 82 and into the playoffs, he'll have over 100 games already.

I don't see next season being a full 82 games.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Good call sending him back. I mean who knows how the next NHL season's gonna play out (although, same goes for KHL) and it'll be good for him to get some games in somewhere, now in a place he really succeeded.

I don't see any disadvantages in this.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Good call sending him back. I mean who knows how the next NHL season's gonna play out (although, same goes for KHL) and it'll be good for him to get some games in somewhere, now in a place he really succeeded.

I do not know about the NHL´s next season, but the KHL´s season will start on Sept 2. There is not any question about the KHL´s season, it will be played as planned. If any team has a positive test (or quarantine), so the farm team will play or a game is postponed or a technical defeat is issued. So, the KHL will do just fine. Only some major global disaster (not COVID) may disrupt the league´s plans for 2020-21. The league is prepared for all scenarios, the clubs' owners are committed (which can not be said about the AHL clubs owners).

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Unless of course he gets COVID and permanent lung or heart damage...

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
BTW, you want to know why prospects haven't developed in Milwaukee lately? Because Poile has traded away tons of picks this decade. We've had 6 1st round picks. He used one on Watson in 2010, he developed fine for the type of player he was going to be. None in 2011, None in 2012, Seth Jones went straight to the NHL in 2013, Fiala played some in the AHL but was in the NHL full time at age 21, none in 2015, Fabbro went to college then straight to the NHL, Tolvanen is still just 20 and was the second to last pick of the 1st round, no pick in the first 3 (!!!) rounds of 2018 and Tomasino is still in juniors.

There's just not going to be a huge talent pipeline going through the AHL when the majority of your picks are coming in rounds 4-7 and not only does that not lead to a lot of high end prospect talent, it also necessitates signing veteran players to literally fill roles on the team so they aren't playing with a bunch of ECHL (or worse) worthy players.

So to recap this decade:

6 1st round picks - One was never going to be more than a bottom 6 player, one went straight to the NHL from Juniors, one went straight to the NHL from college, one played around 120 games in the AHL over the course of 3 seasons, was in the NHL full time at 21 and was traded, one was drafted a couple years ago, is struggling a little now at 20 years old and another was drafted 6 months ago.

10 2nd round picks - One was a goalie, another is Salomaki who 95% of this board hates but maybe placing the team somewhere else would've turned him into a top 6 forward :sarcasm:

Aberg and Sissons came in 2012, so a 50% hit rate in that draft

No 2nd rounder in 2013

2014 was Kamenev, who was used in the Turris trade and Dougherty who was traded to Buffalo, not tendered a contract there and signed in Ottawa. Two talent starved NHL rosters that he couldn't break through but again, surely wouldn't have been the case if the team was in Atlanta.

2015 Trenin was a 2nd round pick who I and a few others who watch the Admirals regularly said should be playing more but again, nothing was stopping Poile, Fenton, Nichol etc. from making that call to the coaching staff that they hired and demanding that he get more time in all situations.

2016 was Girard who played 6 games in the NHL before he was traded for Turris.

2017 was Mismash who's still in college

2018 had no 2nd round pick

2019 is in Juniors

10 3rd round picks

Aronson might have actually been an NHL player at some point but he got pissed that Poile called up a different defenseman, left the Admirals, signed in the KHL and then in the German League.

Vesey - Didn't sign

Leipsic is a bottom 6 spark plug/speed guy

Diaby was terrible and I think he retired a couple years ago.

Kirkland was terrible at everything except shootouts.

Novak and Pitlick just recently signed.

Farrance is still in college

No pick in 2018

Campbell just drafted

Saros and Arvidsson spent significant time in the AHL as 4th rounders, Richard and Carrier I feel still have a chance to be NHL players as 4th rounders and Allard as a 3rd rounder.

Maybe you guys would have a point if some of these players left the organization and lit up the AHL and then got a chance and ran with it at the NHL but this just seems like shit drafting (for the most part) on top of just not having the picks available to actually get prospects in the system and developed.

WOW! Our drafting/picks have been awful for the most part!
So our BEST picks in the past 10 years have been:
Seth Jones (now traded)
Arvidson
Fiala (now traded)
Girard (now traded)
Sissons
Saros
Fabro

That is NOT very good a good list for 10 years of picking players.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
WOW! Our drafting/picks have been awful for the most part!
So our BEST picks in the past 10 years have been:
Seth Jones (now traded)
Arvidson
Fiala (now traded)
Girard (now traded)
Sissons
Saros
Fabro

That is NOT very good a good list for 10 years of picking players.

I actually don't think that's all too bad considering we didn't have a first round pick in four of the last ten years. The problem is we traded 3/4 of the best players for guys who have underperformed.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I actually don't think that's all too bad considering we didn't have a first round pick in four of the last ten years. The problem is we traded 3/4 of the best players for guys who have underperformed.

Yeah what we wouldnt give for a crystal ball. Could have traded Weber, Ellis and Ekholm for players who presumably wouldnt have sucked any worse than Turris, Granlund and Joey and been rocking Jones-Josi and Girard-Fabbro right now

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
2015 Trenin was a 2nd round pick who I and a few others who watch the Admirals regularly said should be playing more but again, nothing was stopping Poile, Fenton, Nichol etc. from making that call to the coaching staff that they hired and demanding that he get more time in all situations.

Hi guys, just going to pat myself on the back here.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The drafting itself has been mostly fine, it's the player development, signing and trading that has not. Considering this, it's really not a good look for Poile. Drafting is largely a product of scouting, so some scouts are doing a good job at evaluating talent, it's when they get here that things tend to go wrong. Similarly players who perform well on other teams and then show up here scoring half of what we expect.

There have been times, watching the Predators when I think "maybe it's just familiarity" when I see our games just don't look like other games around the league. I think maybe out of market fans who only see the Preds a couple of times each year watch and see a normal NHL product out there. But I've had stints as a fan of other teams where I watched all of their games over the course of multiple seasons, and I didn't get the same feeling.

There really is some difference here, and the one constant through all of the years has been Poile, from coaches to players it's always been Poile's stamp, Poile's finger on the button. It's a brand that is successful in it's own low-risk way, but outside of one run where everything fell into place (Hello from the 90's Capitals!) it's never more than good enough, kind of like the draft record.

I love David Poile for all he's done for the game of hockey, especially in Nashville. But just like when it was time to move on from Trotz, it's time to move on from Poile. I think one man going down the same path for so long can lose his way. Coaches and GM's just can't stay on this long anymore, they keep reworking things, adding layers, making the picture murky. Once in a while you need a change, a fresh approach, a clean slate, a new foundation laid.

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
1-2 NHL players of any caliber is about what you want from a draft, and considering all the picks we've lost we really haven't done too badly.

It is amazing how many picks/prospects we've traded away and saw virtually zero returns on, especially deadline deals.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I also think part of the drafting problem has been we didn't actually suck enough to get 1-5 picks. We were always, or close to, a decent team that seemed to be on the edge of making the playoffs. Which meant we wouldn't be picking at the top of the list. Which is good for the fans but not so much to get those super elite players. Look at the Oilers, Toronto, Pittsburgh, heck even Chicago before 2010. A few sucky years, a few top 3 picks seems to get you some really nice players. Not sure if the fans would like to sit through those years, but after getting a few nice young players I think they would like that.

Reactions: predhead1

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I also think part of the drafting problem has been we didn't actually suck enough to get 1-5 picks. We were always, or close to, a decent team that seemed to be on the edge of making the playoffs. Which meant we wouldn't be picking at the top of the list. Which is good for the fans but not so much to get those super elite players. Look at the Oilers, Toronto, Pittsburgh, heck even Chicago before 2010. A few sucky years, a few top 3 picks seems to get you some really nice players. Not sure if the fans would like to sit through those years, but after getting a few nice young players I think they would like that.

Legwand, Finley, Hartnell, Upshall, Suter, Wilson, Jones .... every top ten pick in Predators' history. One bust, one vast underperforer, a couple of very serviceable long term NHL players, a couple that are pretty damned good players of their era. We've never had that Pitt or CHI run of multiple top five pics in a three year span or Edmonton's draft early for an entire generation (seemingly) run that they've somehow wasted.

If we go forward ready to play in three to five years or take a flyer at a bigger d-man at #11 who might be third pairing ready in a year or two really depends how the top ten plays out. Poile's track record on first round goalies is abysmal. Look to BPA with size available on the blueline ... BPA forward.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If Trenin doesn't get to play in Nashville next season, then he should be traded to a NHL team where he can score 15 goals, versus scoring 7 for Nashville.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Trenin doesn't get to play in Nashville next season, then he should be traded to a NHL team where he can score 15 goals, versus scoring 7 for Nashville.
If he doesn't have assurances he will be playing in the KHL I suspect. I can't imagine they aren't planning on him playing though.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If he doesn't have assurances he will be playing in the KHL I suspect. I can't imagine they aren't planning on him playing though.

That is what I thought about the playoffs and Trenin. The Preds will want his size and skill in the line up.

Eeli was also available.

I guess that is why I am not a GM. Why would Nashville want more scoring and size in the playoffs?

The Preds looked like the worst team in the playoffs. They lost to the #11 team, who then lost 4-1 in the next round to Colorado.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I would be extremely disappointed in our organization if Trenin was not in our lineup full time next season. He has size, skill, and an edge to his game we sorely need. I personally believe he needs to be on our 3rd line. The bonus with him is that he hits, and hits hard. If he needs to drop the gloves he's going to win the battle most of the time, unlike our current "tough guy" forward.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I would be extremely disappointed in our organization if Trenin was not in our lineup full time next season. He has size, skill, and an edge to his game we sorely need. I personally believe he needs to be on our 3rd line. The bonus with him is that he hits, and hits hard. If he needs to drop the gloves he's going to win the battle most of the time, unlike our current "tough guy" forward.

I remember when Trenin socked Chara!

I found this through theAHL.com:

Preds Stress Desire to Get Younger at Forward, Defense

Reactions: originalpredfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->