Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Finland beat Switzerland 6-1, so FIN-USA finals tomorrow.

Tolvanen with an assist again. Looked good again but still no goals.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
What Eeli did in this tournament was that he showed everyone he's not a one trick pony. He tried to be the sniper at first, but it just did not work. So he changed up his game;

He is capable of playing great two way game, cycling the puck, creating space with his skating and making nice plays in the offensive zone in general. Watching him play here, i really don't understand why he isn't playing up. It's not like the Preds are overflowing with talent in the wings (injuries right now) and Eeli is absolutely not a hazard. I think if he was picked by a weaker team he would not have participated WJC, because he'd be playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A Gold Medal will be great for him. I confess I thought the confidence boost he'd get out of this tournament was going to be more along the lines of sniping at least a goal per game and putting up some gaudy numbers while Finland maybe battled for a Bronze at best. But based on the parts of 2 games I saw and some of the descriptions and highlights, it sounds like he found a way to make an effective, if not spectacular, contribution by doing a lot of other things that he's not generally noted for... he carried the puck well, cycled, battled, forechecked, backchecked, did a lot of things... and didn't snipe a single goal. It's a nice demonstration of the things he has probably been focusing on in his plan to adapt to the NHL, and he must be thrilled to be bringing home Gold. Congrats ET! Now get back here and step things up in Milwaukee!

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Finally wore my Hornqvist jersey at the Dallas game since that goal was scored. I think it might go back in the closet for a little while longer.

off topic-ish, and hindsight is 20/20 but poile shouldve kept hornqvist. the exact player we got hartman to be, close enough, in my eyes . playoff game, net front presence, scoring mentality.

but back to Tolvanen, hes what 19? let him play hockey. we arent dying for him. the way he shoots pucks is elite. let the rest follow. we gave Wilson, what 7 years? only reason he brokeout earlier was because his NA style and physicality. Watson took how long? hell Austin may have 20 goal potential, may be the greener side, but just the eye test alone says maybe. not to mention jr and AHL numbers to suggest its possible

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
he carried the puck well, cycled, battled, forechecked, backchecked, did a lot of things... and didn't snipe a single goal. It's a nice demonstration of the things he has probably been focusing on in his plan to adapt to the NHL, and he must be thrilled to be bringing home Gold. Congrats ET! Now get back here and step things up in Milwaukee!

That's exactly what he's been doing his time in Milwaukee as well, but as you note, stuff that doesn't show up on the stat line.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
While it's good to hear his game is rounding out, I can't help but feel like what we need from him is to be a goal scorer, and he's just not doing it. It's probably unfair to have any high level of expectations, but his performance in Russia last season set the bar for what we need to see from him. In that regard, he's been a consistent disappointment since about mid-way through last season. I feel like the silver linings we're looking for here are the types of things people say on the trade boards when an offensive player can't score anymore (or never really could). Oh, Rick Nash is only a 30 point player, but he's REALLY good defensively. Colin Wilson isn't really putting up points, but he's just been unlucky and would be a 50-60 point guy with the right linemates.

I'm undoubtedly in the minority, but kid needs to start scoring goals or he's not going to be of much use at this level. Fortunately, he still has some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Apparently he's getting a street named after him in his hometown cause of the gold medal win.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
With Forsberg back and the tournament over, I want to see him in the NHL, maybe with Bonino and Hartman, move Watson to the 4th line. Scratch Jarnkrok and Freddy G when Turris is back.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
With Forsberg back and the tournament over, I want to see him in the NHL, maybe with Bonino and Hartman, move Watson to the 4th line. Scratch Jarnkrok and Freddy G when Turris is back.
Scratch jarnkrok? Really?
He is a guy we protected when Vegas came into the league and you would say he is a scratch?

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He is a guy we protected when Vegas came into the league and you would say he is a scratch?
He's on pace for 30 points and his intended role as a middle/bottom 6 center has been more adequately filled by Bonino and Sissons. Would have no objections to scratching him outside of his generally positive play on the PK. That said, Tolvanen hasn't done anything worthy of being called up.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
From what I saw of him in the U20 tournament was actually rather impressive: yep, sure, such a hugely frustrating goal draught, but he did not give up and skate on the margins as a non-productive sniper, no, he pretty much led the desperate charges in the desperate moments of the crucial games and just stubbornly kept trying. It was quite inspiring tbh...

Reactions: jalperi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, a lot can change for a player in even one year. Some people said we should have protected Neal, and look at him now - scratchworthy. So the Vegas thing is a bit irrelevant. But that said, I would not scratch Jarnkrok, nor recall Tolvanen.

When Arvy and Forsberg were out, that's pretty much prime time right there for giving Tolvanen a chance, and he sort of got a brief one. But now that is all in the past, thankfully, and Tolvanen is going to have to heat up big time in Milwaukee before I summon him again.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I disagree with Pronman on this one, especially the part about his compete level and how he didn't make a ton of plays for his team mates.

Same here. I disagree with Pronman.

His speed? He is one of the fastest Admirals along with Richard and Pendenza!

I saw Richard tonight at the STH Holiday party. I am about his size. No wonder he is so fast!

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Tolvanen not in lineup for the admirals last night against Hershey??

He didn't play against Grand Rapids on Wednesday night. I did walk past him tonight at the STH Holiday party, so he is in town. The next game is Saturday versus the San Diego Gulls (II).

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Same here. I disagree with Pronman.

His speed? He is one of the fastest Admirals along with Richard and Pendenza!

I saw Richard tonight at the STH Holiday party. I am about his size. No wonder he is so fast!

So he's as fast as you? ;)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So he's as fast as you? ;)

Chris, he is listed as 176 pounds, making him relatively light for a hockey player.

I am running at 165 pounds these days. When I skated, about 50 years ago, I was really fast because I had very little mass to move (100# or less).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad