Edzo's rant

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Last night after the Pens-Wings game they were of course talking about the Cooke suspension, and the rash of recent elbows to the head. Eddie Olczyk had an interesting take on the matter. He attributed a lot of the problem to guys going into a check with their sticks in one hand with the blades up in the air, and he showed video to support it happening. His points were that with the stick up there is no way to make a "hockey play" on the puck, and the players elbows are already up; where as if the player has his stick on the ice the elbows are down. His feeling is that young aren't being taught to check with their sticks down.

I thought this was interesting, especially with the likelyhood of usa hockey moving checking back a few years.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I thought it was interesting too - But then...I have a huge crush on Eddie Olczyk. :sarcasm:

I tried to find a video of Edzo's rant to post here, but didn't have much luck. Maybe one will show up today. The high sticks on hits are something to watch for in games now that he's mentioned it. It seems so obvious now that it's been pointed out.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Last night after the Pens-Wings game they were of course talking about the Cooke suspension, and the rash of recent elbows to the head. Eddie Olczyk had an interesting take on the matter. He attributed a lot of the problem to guys going into a check with their sticks in one hand with the blades up in the air, and he showed video to support it happening. His points were that with the stick up there is no way to make a "hockey play" on the puck, and the players elbows are already up; where as if the player has his stick on the ice the elbows are down. His feeling is that young aren't being taught to check with their sticks down.

I thought this was interesting, especially with the likelyhood of usa hockey moving checking back a few years.

He said this same thing about a week ago, but it had less to do about dangerous hits. Instead, it was a guy throwing a hit deep in his own zone, and his stick was up in the air. Because of that, he allowed a cross-ice pass to get through and it resulted in a goal. Had the player had his stick down as he threw the hit, he would've have a better chance at deflecting the pass.

Found the highlight here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010021039 it's on the Thornton goal at around the 1:09 mark. It doesn't have his schpiel on the replay there, but you can watch the play for yourself.

I think it's a valid argument in terms of keeping your stick in play. It simply isn't doing anything worthwhile when it's up in the air. I'm a huge proponent of having your stick on the ice at all times, so i see no argument here with Edzo.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not sure if it means much, but I myself am a kid (I'm 18 playing Midget A hockey), and I was never ONCE taught that you should hit with your hands up, or with your stick in the air. The way I was taught to hit was, two hands on your stick, transfer your weight and aim for the chest. Of course it's a little easier for me to aim for the chest being 5'7.

Just a little of my experience with hockey..

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
I'd say that every time I watch the Hawks I hear Eddie O mention stick on the ice. There's always one play he picks out and uses the telestrator (yellow marker thing) to point out how player X either: 1) Broke up/saved a play because his stick was on the ice or 2) Failed to make a play because he didn't have his stick on the ice.

And quite honestly, unless you're trying to knock down a flying puck, you aren't doing *bleep* with your stick in the air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad