Speculation: Edmundson and Fabbri - Next Contract Predictions

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
There has been plenty of speculation lately about what Edmundson will get on his next deal, and there are varying opinions on how we're going to deal with Fabbri as a RFA that hasn't played in a season and a half. I thought it would be fun to get everyone's thoughts out there in the same thread and see who ends up the closest. I'll start.

Edmundson - 5 years, $19M ($3.8M AAV)
Fabbri - 1 year, $1.35M

What do you think?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the team will go 2 years with Fabbri for somewhere between $1 mil and $1.5 mil. That gives him some extra guaranteed money in case his career ends this year and prevents a situation where the team has to make a big decision on just 1 year of data if he returns to form (or close to it).

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
hmm I think you guys are underpredicting what Fabbri's AAV will be. I agree it will be a 1 or maybe 2 year deal, but I think it will be at least 2 mil per. He's shown he can be a contributor when healthy

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
hmm I think you guys are underpredicting what Fabbri's AAV will be. I agree it will be a 1 or maybe 2 year deal, but I think it will be at least 2 mil per. He's shown he can be a contributor when healthy

Double ACL surgery on the same knee, hasn't played in 2 years, is an RFA. He scored around 40 points in his rookie year, but that frankly matters a lot less than the exploding knee. Remember how low we had Schwartz on his bridge deal? There's no reason to think Fabbri will hit 2 Million on his contract, he has 0 leverage. That's the point of having a 1 year "prove you still belong" contract. Nobody knows if he still does.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Very true. But when has he shown he can stay healthy?

Draft + 1 - Potentially could have made the team if not injured in camp

Draft +2 Played most the season but missed 10 games with injury. 72 played/10 missed

Draft + 3 Missed 31 games with knee injury. 51 played/31 missed

Draft + 4 Missed whole year with knew injury 0 played/82 missed

Total : 123 played v. 123 missed

Reactions: KirkOut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
You two make good points. We’ll see how it goes. I’m hopeful for something in the 1.5 range but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bit higher

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Just to pile on to Fabbri's lack of leverage, he is not arbitration eligible. So if he wants to play in the NHL, he essentially has to take whatever the Blues give him. I don't think we're going to play extreme hard ball with him, but he has absolutely no leverage to ask for more than $1.5 mil.

I really like Fabbri. I have his name on my Winter Classic jersey and I think that his floor is still a skilled 3rd line guy (assuming he doesn't have to retire due to injuries). But there is zero assurance that he will be that this season (it may take him a year to learn how to play a different style on his rebuilt knee) and zero assurance that he will be more than that. 22 year old 3rd liners (with upside) that may or may not stay healthy all season don't get $2 mil.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Can they put some performance bonuses on Fabbri's contract? If so, you low ball him with a bunch of bonus money on a 2 year deal.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can they put some performance bonuses on Fabbri's contract? If so, you low ball him with a bunch of bonus money on a 2 year deal.

I believe performance bonuses are limited to ELCs and over 35 year old contracts. So I am going to give you a very definitive, "probably not, at least I don't think so", until someone more knowledgeable comes along and confirms. Then I'll be like, "pffft, that's what I said".

Edit: So close. From cap-friendly CBA-faq, a player must meet one of the following 3 criteria:

1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).
So no performance bonuses to Fabbri, even though he is close to fitting in on 3. He spent 100 days on LTIR, but did not have 400 played. In other words...."pffft, that's what I said".

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Oddly (to me), DA went with 5 years each on Schwartz and Parayko, so I'll guess the same for Edmundson - 5 years, $22 mil for $4.4 mil per year.

Fabbri - 1 year, $1.5 mil.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Edmundson will sign for 4-5 years at just under $4m, Fabbri will be 1 year for a little over $1m.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
There has been plenty of speculation lately about what Edmundson will get on his next deal, and there are varying opinions on how we're going to deal with Fabbri as a RFA that hasn't played in a season and a half. I thought it would be fun to get everyone's thoughts out there in the same thread and see who ends up the closest. I'll start.

Fabbri - 1 year, $1.35M

What do you think?

Fabbri - 1 year, $1.35M

What do you think?

Fabbri - 1 year, $1.35M

What do you think?

I think your contract proposal for Edmundson is right on the money with what DA will strive for. Will he get that is the question. Jake Muzzin's cap is at 4M and I don't think Edmundson is as good as Muzzin yet but he has the potential to be.

I think Fabbri will be 1 year at 1M, but I wonder if DA will try and work something out where he draws up a 2 yr contract where the Blues would have the option to pick up the 2nd year. I think it would be worth the gamble if it means the Blues have to pay a little more for the 1st yr.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What is general timeframe when RFA players will make a deal? I'm talking about Fabbri's next contract and does his big injury have affect that fimeframe (delay) are Blues more carefull and want to be sure Fabbri is at least some 'decent' level before they give him new contract?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What is general timeframe when RFA players will make a deal? I'm talking about Fabbri's next contract and does his big injury have affect that fimeframe (delay) are Blues more carefull and want to be sure Fabbri is at least some 'decent' level before they give him new contract?

RFAs are generally slightly lower priority because offer sheets are so rare. They can technically sign starting July 1st of their last contract year. So in Fabbri and Edmundson's case, they could have signed July 1, 2017 or anytime after. After the draft, qualifying offers are extended. I am not sure the exact date, but its generally a week or less before July 1. After that, barring a offer sheet, GMs can handle everything else before dealing with RFAs. Big name ones might take more priority, but those might also be more difficult negotiations as both sides jockey for position. Most are signed before training camp starts.

I'd guess that Armstrong has talked to the important guys about their next contract. He'll qualify them all, I'd assume. He'll probably sign the cheap ones quickly, with Eddy and Fabbri stretching until after the draft.

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if most of our RFA's aren't signed until mid to late July, as that seems to be Armystrong's MO. Our "core" players were all signed July or later on their deals, as he likes to take his time on most RFA contracts.

Of players who we signed as RFA's:
Tarasenko - July 7
Parayko - July 20
Schwartz (current) - July 15
Allen (post ELC) - July 25; July 3 on next contract, and his current July 1 extension

There were some hold outs until later dates:
Petro - Sept 14
Schwartz (bridge after ELC) - Oct 5

And there were some that came before:
Jaskin - June 16
Edmundson - April 8
Bergy - May 31, June 25, June 26, and then Feb 24 for his current deal.

Of our current roster RFA's; Ed, Fabbri, Jaskin, Soshnikov, Sundqvist, and Schmaltz, the only players I think that will be signed prior to July 1 would be Sundqvist and Schmaltz due to them having minimal leverage outside of going to arbitration, and even then they won't be gaining much a raise. I could see Soshnikov taking longer due to him exploring KHL options and didn't see particularly enthused with his usage. Jaskin could be quick due to his lack of offensive production, but I could see him mulling KHL offers or going through arbitration.

On our two big RFA's- Fabbri's case is a toss up due to his injuries. Unless they quickly agree to a 1-2 year deal, I for see this dragging out until late July. Fabbri is the only RFA not eligible for arbitration, and as we have seen with both Petro and Schwartz, when arbitration is not on the table, then Army is willing to drag things out as long as he needs to. I think he ends up settling for a 2 year deal between 1.5-2.3/year. Armstrong is going to want that extra year to guage how healthy and productive Fabbri can come back. The exact number Fabbri ends up getting will probably depend on if we bring is money during the draft, if we sign any big UFAs, and Ed's raise.

I think Edmundson will sign somewhere in the second or third week of July (9-20). Between the option to bring salary at the draft, who gets shipped out, and possible UFA signings, I could see Army waiting for those to shake out before signing Ed. It could also affect his decision on a 1 year bridge, or going for a long term extension of 4-6 years. I could see a 1 year at 2.5 or 5/6 between 4-4.5 being where his contract ends up.

I believe the deadline for player elected arbitration is July 5th, with the team elected dealing already passed (48hrs post Stanley Cup)

Reactions: EastonBlues22

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
How does it work if a team walks away from an RFA? Like, just as an example (not at all suggesting we do this, it would be dumb), but say we decided not to qualify Fabbri, and allow some other team to sign him. Maybe Sundqvist is a better example. When can other teams sign them? July 1?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
How does it work if a team walks away from an RFA? Like, just as an example (not at all suggesting we do this, it would be dumb), but say we decided not to qualify Fabbri, and allow some other team to sign him. Maybe Sundqvist is a better example. When can other teams sign them? July 1?
Yes I believe it is July 1st when they can sign with any team if not qualified. Rattie was signed on July 1st last year by the Oilers after he wasn't qualified by the Blues.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad