Edmonton trip

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
The wife and myself are traveling from Colorado to Edmonton for a game for spring break. Where is a good area to stay for two nights and what else is worth doing/seeing apart from the game. Also does the stadium have any blocked views like Montreal stadium does with their press box hang down in the view of the upper seats. Thanks for any info you care to share

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Fantasyland hotel in West Edmonton Mall. Book the Roman room and have the wife dress the part. Victorian Coach room if she’s a bit uppity. Of course there’s also the Truck room if you want to feel like a true Albertan. Lots to do in the mall.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Make sure you get a galaxy land pass and ride the train a few times. Shits dope.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
They also just opened up a brand new JW Marriott right next to the arena if you are looking for somewhere close. The mall is probably 20 minutes from the rink, but you shouldn't miss it.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I personally would look if the new JW Marriott is within your price range, as it is connected to Rogers. Another couple hotels that are connected to Rogers are Sutton Place and the Delta. The Westin is a place where teams have stayed in the past, although I think the Avalanche stayed at the Hotel MacDonald last year, heard a story that someone could get a rum and pepsi because they just left and they require Pepsi products at the hotel.

As far as what to do, that really depends upon what interests you? For example, the mall is something I ignore. There is a new provincial museum, you may be able to catch a play/symphony nearby if you are downtown. The Art Gallery (of Alberta) is, unfortunately, okay but likely a 3rd tier art museum that is a bit too dependent upon the specific exhibits.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Unfortunately not a lot to do besides the mall, which admittedly isn't as good as it once was.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Unfortunately not a lot to do besides the mall, which admittedly isn't as good as it once was.

C'mon man, really??

The mall is a must even if you just walk around, shop and sight see for a few hours. Could easily spend a full day or two if the water park, amusement park, theaters appeal to you.

I'd stay downtown, lots of nice hotels and great restaurants within walking distance. Lots of shopping too. Spend some time on Whyte ave as well for the atmosphere, shopping, eating and drinking.

Depending on your age we have the art gallery and museum downtown. The Muttart Conservatory, Fort Edmonton park and even a zoo.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
We are foodie, craft beer types that also like fun art galleries/museums. Thanks for the suggestion's so far

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You’ll be here in the spring so stay downtown. The mall is more of a day trip with not much to do for adults.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Situation/Polar Park/Biera near the Strathcona area too if you're into craft beer! Could also check out MEAT or Next Act while you're there for a bite.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You can find some nice AirBNB around downtown area for $120/night. Get yourself a good ramen bowl at Nomiya/Tokiwa before the game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah for food I like the Whyte area, lots of fun restaurants there. Biera in Ritchie is good, Yellowhead brewery downtown is a nice place to get some pretty reasonably priced beers. Mall is fun if you're stoned.

If I were you, I'd stay at the Marriott because it's dope and convenient for the game, and there's lots of decent places to eat downtown, and then I'd spend a day on the south side in the river valley area and exploring whyte ave. If the mall appeals to you, spend a day there, but know that it's just a really big mall haha.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I personally would look if the new JW Marriott is within your price range, as it is connected to Rogers. Another couple hotels that are connected to Rogers are Sutton Place and the Delta. The Westin is a place where teams have stayed in the past, although I think the Avalanche stayed at the Hotel MacDonald last year, heard a story that someone could get a rum and pepsi because they just left and they require Pepsi products at the hotel.

As far as what to do, that really depends upon what interests you? For example, the mall is something I ignore. There is a new provincial museum, you may be able to catch a play/symphony nearby if you are downtown. The Art Gallery (of Alberta) is, unfortunately, okay but likely a 3rd tier art museum that is a bit too dependent upon the specific exhibits.
I think they've always stayed at the Hotel MacDonald, you can recognize it in this interview:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Stay downtown. Arena ,art gallery and the museum if I'm not mistaken (i haven't went for a while and it's all brand new) are all there. City centre mall and Jasper Ave have good shopping. White ave has all the good food though which is south of downtown. Avalanche stay in the MacDonald hotel. It's also a shortish drive to west Edmonton mall from downtown.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We are foodie, craft beer types that also like fun art galleries/museums. Thanks for the suggestion's so far

Art Gallery of Alberta and Royal Alberta Museum are both located in Art District just blocks from Rogers Place, which is Entertainment district. Citadel Theater is also top class as is Winspear and both located also in the Art District.

Do take a look at the MacDonald Hotel, and or even stay there, its a nice former CP hotel, from an era when the Trains and Hotels were grand and the great way to travel coast to coast. The free Funicular, just in back of "The Mac" gives you a good look at our river valley. you'll see interesting ice flows and ice melt at that time of year. Take a stroll over towards Shaw Conference Center (direct path from Funicular) and come back up to DT through the SCC's own indoor Funicular.

"Craft" DT is a pretty nice place for beer and food. Several exist in the area. Mercers, just opposite Rogers is a nice atmospheric pub to go to pre or post game and the 104st area is nice.

Do take a look at Old Strathcona as well and a nice tourist way to access it is to take LRT to GRandin station, take a look around the Provincial Legislature, and then take the "high level Streetcar (wonderful view) right to Old Strathcona district. This is an arts district as well as a nightlife district. Lots to see there as well and wide range of food choices and well reviewed restaurants and bars.

Keep in mind while you're here that Edmonton was the home of the original Fort Edmonton and it was a main fort on the fur trade route. Fort Edmonton park exists, and is wonderful to see, but is closed while you will be here. Do explore our River Valley though. Some very nice walks through there if you lake nature or views at all.

University of Alberta is also interesting and highly accredited University, one of the largest in Canada, and many preserved and brand new buildings there.

If at University take a stroll down to 109th street and at night you can see the lit up high level Bridge and walterdale bridge from there at corner of 109st and Saskatchewan Drive.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I always enjoy getting freaky at Julio’s on white ave.

Not bad Mexican food but I go there for the ridiculousness. Wear a crazy hat and sip some over the top drink.

If you are into craft beer there are tons of beer joints around. There’s one place with like a billion beer choices. Kraft beer I think?

Mercers across from Rogers is not terrible either. For bars very close to the arena you can do a lot worse.

Also the kids love the water park in west Edmonton mall. After being to multiple water parks I noticed ours is actually quite impressive.

Edit : Also not sure if they will be around that early in the season but the electric scooters parked all around the city are pretty fun to ride. All you need is the app on your phone and you can hope on the nearest one.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would look into the JW Marriott, it’s literally the block north of the arena. Just a short walk east from the arena is the new museum and close by the museum is the art gallery, nice place for restaurants is just a 10 min drive south to whyte ave, lots of great food options like the restaurant named meat, julio barrios etc and lots of pub options.

Right after the game if you want to just relax and have a couple more beers Mercers is conveniently just across the street from the arena. Atmosphere is nice, even better after an oilers win but still fun regardless to just hang out with fans.

With or without kids, check out wem. Plenty of things you can do there.

When you’re here, I hope you have fun. It’s really not as bad as people say.

Sorry, didn’t read the thread and lots of what i suggested has been said already.

Last edited:

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Have breakfast at OEB and Pip while in town. If you love pizza take a 10$ Uber from downtown to Tony’s Pizza Palace. Wanna bowl the Canadian way ? 5 pin at Plaza is an absolute blast . The place has great craft beers and tunes. Drunk after the game and wanna do some karaoke with some psycho locals hit Hawkeyes .

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Use priceline or hotwire to save money on good hotels

53CEE236-8BE4-430A-8A62-C0EB0A7B415A.jpeg

Trivago Guy says Hi!

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
All great seats in Rogers. I'd recommend staying close by the arena in Leduc, 20 min uber from Rogers but better hotel rates and much more authentic night life. Holiday Inn in Leduc (seen it as low as $72, stay there the odd time when the family is driving me nuts) is 5 mins uber to the international airport, can't beat that.

Make your uber stop in at the 42nd ave BK for 1o/$3 nugs on the way back, your stomach will thank you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad