Proposal: Edmonton - Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With the Draisaitl signing today it's very likely that RNH will be on the move. So how about a trade benefiting both these teams.

Toronto

RHN
1st 2018
2nd 2018

Edmonton

Marner

RNH needs a change of scenery and I can bet he could easily be a sold 60+ point player under Babcock and Toronto also gains good picks in a deep draft. For Edmonton it's a no brainer, Marner would be magical on the McDavid's wing.

:laugh: How does trading for Marner make any sense? Edmonton wont be able too afford Marner once McDavid's $12.5 million kicks in in 2108 and how can Edmonton afford Marners $7.5 million or so and RNH+1st+2nd for Marner makes no sense especially for the Leafs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I doubt the Leafs want to do it, and it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Oilers. Don't get me wrong, Marner's an very good young player, but I don't know that he's the direction the Oilers would be looking if they were going to a "larger" trade like this.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
:laugh: How does trading for Marner make any sense? Edmonton wont be able too afford Marner once McDavid's $12.5 million kicks in in 2108 and how can Edmonton afford Marners $7.5 million or so and RNH+1st+2nd for Marner makes no sense especially for the Leafs.
Pretty sure Marners deal would expire by then, so you would have no problem with McJesus contract.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Exactly. If RNH is traded, it'll be for a player who has a lower cap hit and can play a similar role (ie. Eberle for Strome).

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
With the Draisaitl signing today it's very likely that RNH will be on the move. So how about a trade benefiting both these teams.

Toronto

RHN
1st 2018
2nd 2018

Edmonton

Marner

i think Marner is being overvalued here and Nuge undervalued just based on a low point total season. Nuge very much is a between 50 and 60 point per season player and i'd really like to see what he'd do with the Leafs and in the Eastern Conference. having said that, even though Nuge is for sure a salary dump and getting Marner in return would be marvelous for the Oilers until we had to pay him, no chance in HELL you would get a 1st rounder as well !

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Toronto

RHN
1st 2018
2nd 2018

Edmonton

Marner

RNH needs a change of scenery and I can bet he could easily be a sold 60+ point player under Babcock and Toronto also gains good picks in a deep draft. For Edmonton it's a no brainer, Marner would be magical on the McDavid's wing.

So what, Toronto is trading Marner for RNH to come in and be their 4th line center. Yea not likely. If Edm wanted Marner the ask would be the German they just signed.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
i think Marner is being overvalued here and Nuge undervalued just based on a low point total season. Nuge very much is a between 50 and 60 point per season player and i'd really like to see what he'd do with the Leafs and in the Eastern Conference. having said that, even though Nuge is for sure a salary dump and getting Marner in return would be marvelous for the Oilers until we had to pay him, no chance in HELL you would get a 1st rounder as well !

Your talking out of both sides of your mouth. A player cannot be a 50/60 point player and a salary dump and you called RNH both.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Your talking out of both sides of your mouth. A player cannot be a 50/60 point player and a salary dump and you called RNH both.

^no i'm not ! that's exactly what he is....a guy who can score between 50 and 60 points per season and who's been passed at center by Connor and Leon, yet is being paid $6 mil/per and a player the Oilers will likely try to dump the salary of. :shakehead

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Why the heck would Toronto even entertain the OP...

Lock this **** down...its just gonna become a weiner measuring contest...

Leafs fans will say they want Drai for Marner...Oiler fans will say "u want Drai? we want Matthews.." and Leafers will counter with.."what you want Matthews..we want McDavid" and Oiler fans: "We wouldn't trade McDavid for ur entire franchise"

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Leafs fans will say they want Drai for Marner...Oiler fans will say "u want Drai? we want Matthews.." and Leafers will counter with.."what you want Matthews..we want McDavid" and Oiler fans: "We wouldn't trade McDavid for ur entire franchise"

Totally agree. OP is brutal for the Leafs. This thread should be locked. Nothing constructive happening here.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

You could throw in Rogers Place with Draisaitl and I still wouldn't trade Matthews for Draisaitl, let alone Matthews AND Marner lol.

ThomasG

Hockey is simulated in a computer program
Jul 22, 2017
Vancouver
As a edm fan I like this besides what marner will command in the future but if Lou made this trade there would be a price on his head.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
^no i'm not ! that's exactly what he is....a guy who can score between 50 and 60 points per season and who's been passed at center by Connor and Leon, yet is being paid $6 mil/per and a player the Oilers will likely try to dump the salary of. :shakehead

Here in Leaf land....we call that Bozak.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So what, Toronto is trading Marner for RNH to come in and be their 4th line center. Yea not likely. If Edm wanted Marner the ask would be the German they just signed.

German, plus

Jul 10, 2003
KW

So you're saying RNH +late 2nd is equal value to Marner???

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Ahhhh I love this type of stuff:

Guy who scored 52 points at a .84 PPG rate in his rookie season
Plus a first rounder and a second rounder

for a guy who scored 61 points at a .79 PPG rate in his rookie season

is not even close, because the guy who is currently younger is guaranteed to progress at a exponential rate*, because all players progress at an exponential rate, and he will be putting up 400 points per year 5 years from now.

*this guarantee applies to 100% of players under 22 and 0% of players who are over 22

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ahhhh I love this type of stuff:

Guy who scored 52 points at a .84 PPG rate in his rookie season
Plus a first rounder and a second rounder

for a guy who scored 61 points at a .79 PPG rate in his rookie season

is not even close, because the guy who is currently younger is guaranteed to progress at a exponential rate*, because all players progress at an exponential rate, and he will be putting up 400 points per year 5 years from now.

*this guarantee applies to 100% of players under 22 and 0% of players who are over 22

A guy who is a 3rd line centre making 6 mil and has become an embarrassment of a first overall pick.

For a fourth overall pick who has just increased in value since being drafted, has won countless MVP's in CHL hockey and is still on his ELC for the next 2 years?

Yea, that's a hard decision :sarcasm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Marner and Komarov arent really centers. Nylander will be eventually. Bozak is a UFA after next season and likely walks. So, a few years from now you're looking at Matthews,Kadri and Nylander. Toronto has zero need for RNH, especially at that cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad