News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I find it weird when Gregor promotes his new sponsor McDonalds on his show and how great the Canadian beef is there.
IIRC he stated a couple years ago he hadn’t had McDonald’s in decades...and he has made sure we all know what a fitness buff he is.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I find it weird when Gregor promotes his new sponsor McDonalds on his show and how great the Canadian beef is there.
IIRC he stated a couple years ago he hadn’t had McDonald’s in decades...and he has made sure we all know what a fitness buff he is.
lol. Money is money I guess. Most or all of McDonalds beef and fries comes from right here in Calgary

Reactions: Moreaupheus

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Getting really sick of hearing the Connor McUpdate.
Lt. Eric seems like a good guy but on-air a little of him goes a long way. The McUpdate is annoying as hell but it's mercifully short. Where Eric loses me is when he feels the need to over-explain his jokes. He regularly wrecks his Weekly Rankings of Power bit by doing that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its interesting how money can change conviction. Apparently Gregor isnt above that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I assume most know he buys the air from 1260 and owns his show--every so often 1260 ups their "rate" for that airtime and he pays it and just gets a new sponsor

You could be right. Although you would think that owning your own show allows you to determine the advertisers.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You could be right.

do not know how he is now, but a few years ago, when both TSN and Sportsnet did a full culling of the heard--I tweeted him and asked him if he was worried about gettting fired and his response was "no, I own the show" and that for me means he pays 1260 for the airtime and then sells the ads himself

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
do not know how he is now, but a few years ago, when both TSN and Sportsnet did a full culling of the heard--I tweeted him and asked him if he was worried about gettting fired and his response was "no, I own the show" and that for me means he pays 1260 for the airtime and then sells the ads himself

Interesting.
As I said though...you would think that owning your own show allows you to determine the advertisers.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Anytime Lt Eric opens his mouth qualifies as the most annoying thing on the radio.

I love the morning show. Sports radio doesn't need to be so serious in my opinion. I'm glad they have fun on it.

What you said about Lt. Eric is how I feel about Tyler Yaremchuk. I think he's a touch pompous and loves to hear the sound of his own voice. I simply cannot stand the guy as a radio personality. When 10 a.m. comes around, if the radio doesn't go off, it's turned down to a very low volume which sucks because I really like Lowetide.

TY is well on his way to becoming another Tencer (630 Tencer) in my opinion.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I love the morning show. Sports radio doesn't need to be so serious in my opinion. I'm glad they have fun on it.

What you said about Lt. Eric is how I feel about Tyler Yaremchuk. I think he's a touch pompous and loves to hear the sound of his own voice. I simply cannot stand the guy as a radio personality. When 10 a.m. comes around, if the radio doesn't go off, it's turned down to a very low volume which sucks because I really like Lowetide.

I used to like the morning show way better before they made the cuts. I just can’t handle so much Lt E.

But I totally agree about what you say about TY.

I just podcast the AM show now and listen to the Mandate and the 7 am hockey guest.

Reactions: McFuhryous

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I still like the Morning show. Goal songs are super catchy.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Interesting.
As I said though...you would think that owning your own show allows you to determine the advertisers.
It does but business decisions need to be made sometimes in order to help keep the operation afloat. My guess is that McDonalds or Papa John's would be willing to buck up a fair bit more than the local businesses that buy ad time on Gregor's show.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It does but business decisions need to be made sometimes in order to help keep the operation afloat. My guess is that McDonalds or Papa John's would be willing to buck up a fair bit more than the local businesses that buy ad time on Gregor's show.

Probably a good guess.
Ultimately it doesnt matter to me one way or the other. Its Gregors deal.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Interesting.

it goes 2 ways though, if Gregor needs the advertisements to keep himself economically viable, the private businesses have to be willing to write the cheques. On the latest go around of getting dollars, McDonald's might've been the only business willing to pay the rates Gregor requires.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
it goes 2 ways though, if Dregor needs the advertisements to keep himself economically viable, the private businesses have to be willing to write the cheques. On the latest go around of getting dollars, McDonald's might've been the only business willing to pay the rates Dregor requires.

Could very well be.
I think you meant Gregor though. ;)

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I've been lucky with the new job that I dont get to tune into Nielsen in the mornings as much as I used to. Really tuned in whenever BMac was on. I would automatically switch back to FM radio whenever the "goal song" came on. Sorry I just dont care for that at all. I'd rather hear sports talk not goofy songs

During my lunch breaks around 11:30 I tune in and Allen Mitchell comes on to promote Fife and Dekel and there whatever sandwich it is that he likes so much. We get it, its your sponsor but you dont need to talk about your sandwich for 10 mins or that song from the 50's that no one but him would remember. Get to sports.

Gregor I used to like listening to a lot but he seems to find reasons to whine about something or whenever he argues something hockey related with Struds its like, "are you serious Gregor? Struds played in the NHL not some Mens league every Thursday night, Struds knows way more than you, take the L and move on"

Finally I like listening to Rob Brown's comments on the post game show as well as Stauffer every now and then when I can when hes got Friedman on.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

While I generally agree with you re. Yaremchuk's on-air personality, I have to say that his weekly Inside the AJHL show is a really good listen.

On the other hand, there's Lt. Eric's 12 Days of Christmas which returned today. It's as intentionally annoying & unfunny as the McUpdate just (soon to be) way way longer. Yuck.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Yaremchuk is talented but arrogant and I think he knows it but doesn't care.

Likely thinks any opinion of him is awareness, but that didn't work for Tencer either.

I don't mind Tencer now.... Seems he learned a few life lessons along the way.

Yaremchuk and LT have absolutely no chemistry and it's grating to listen to them try to coexist.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I've been listening to Stauffer and Oilers now live and podcast for years but I had to divorce the show.
The amount of advertising is beyond ridiculous. He can't got a minute without the podcast interrupting or some other inserted script.
To the point where you want to boycott the advertisers because it's so intrusive.

So I'll give a shout out to lowetide taking over as my go to show with gregor. I consider those the premium live/podcast shows in our market today imo.
They give an honest no blowing sunshine up the listeners ass opinion and don't interrupt every second sentence with some advertiser spiel

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad