News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I wouldn’t care either I’d like to see a new pbp guy though, I’ve really got tired of Quinn. I’d love to see Mark Lee do our games again, loved his calls
I don’t mind Quinn. Someone new would be a nice change though I agree.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
I wouldn’t care either I’d like to see a new pbp guy though, I’ve really got tired of Quinn. I’d love to see Mark Lee do our games again, loved his calls
If it's the Mark Lee who used to call CFL games, no thanks. He's as monotone as Jim Hughson.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Wow lol didn’t know Mark Lee was this hated. When I was growing up as a kid watching hockey at 9pm on Saturday nights it was always Mark Lee with the call and he be cane the voice of the Oilers for me, for me his calls were so exciting.

Either way I’d like to see Quinn out and Someone else in maybe Michaels?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
There is just too much good free content out there.

Definitely a lot of free content out there, just not sure about the good part. For me this is the low point of sports journalism or journalism in general in my lifetime. And that may have to do more with the internet, bloggers, social media, etc, and so much muck to get thru till you find a good story. I fought for a long time against getting a subscription to The Athletic for the reason you mentioned. But writer after writer that I followed kept moving their content there, so I stopped fighting it and gave it a try. And it’s nice because I have to wade thru less muck to find the stories I want to read. For me it boils to quality over quantity. Don’t mind paying a reasonable price for quality. Can’t expect these good writers to work for nothing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have it downloaded as I only listened to parts, but man was it funny to hear Steve Macintyre talk about how he was scared of guys in Junior. That he wasn't the big dog.

If you missed it I believe it was hour 3 on the gregor show yesterday, podcast is up. I actually hope story time sticks around once we are back to normal.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Wow lol didn’t know Mark Lee was this hated. When I was growing up as a kid watching hockey at 9pm on Saturday nights it was always Mark Lee with the call and he be cane the voice of the Oilers for me, for me his calls were so exciting.

Either way I’d like to see Quinn out and Someone else in maybe Michaels?

Jack Michaels might just be the worst PBP guy i have ever heard in my life. Pure ear cancer. He barely calls the game and instead just blabs on with Bob. He uses asinine verbs to describe things, like for example "twists it up the boards". But the worst thing of all is how he screams and talks like a jack ass, like his infamous "The Oilerssss Radio Network!!!!!!". He belongs in a non hockey market where the game isn't entertaining enough for people so his theatrics could have a purpose. I just want someone to describe what's happening, use normal descriptions that actually relate to hockey, and doesn't sound like a stroke waiting to happen. God he's awful.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Pretty cool. Love Cuthbert.
The best of the best. The only downside is he won't do CFL anymore. Him and Ferraro would be the dream team of former broadcasters for me. I really hope they get him to do the Oilers or at least for HNIC West games. I really don't like Hughson and Randorf is average at best.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Jack Michaels might just be the worst PBP guy i have ever heard in my life. Pure ear cancer. He barely calls the game and instead just blabs on with Bob. He uses asinine verbs to describe things, like for example "twists it up the boards". But the worst thing of all is how he screams and talks like a jack ass, like his infamous "The Oilerssss Radio Network!!!!!!". He belongs in a non hockey market where the game isn't entertaining enough for people so his theatrics could have a purpose. I just want someone to describe what's happening, use normal descriptions that actually relate to hockey, and doesn't sound like a stroke waiting to happen. God he's awful.

The worst is when Michaels tries to milk a potential game winning play in overtime, or on every shooter in the shootout.

Reactions: Samus44

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

He really is an embarrassment of a successor to Rod Phillips. It's like if after it's 9 seasons, Seinfeld's TV slot had been replaced with 2 Broke Girls.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They are painful to listen to. They'll have a lot of times where they both are know it alls and bicker back and forth.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
That bark
"OILERS...radio network"

Whoever gave him the okay on that needs a slap on the wrist too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Watched game 2 of the Habs/Oilers series back in 1981. Great hockey, with crisp passing and fast skating, but unbelievable what the players got away with. Today, there would be a penalty every minute, sometimes a couple on one play.

Two things stood out to me.

I forgot how great of a play-by-play announcer Danny Gallivan was.

Also forgot how good of an offensive player Risto Siltanen was. And an absolute cannon of a shot. Unfortunately, not very physical or defensively aware in his own end.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone know whatever happened to Meg Storms that use to be on Gregor show? Was thinking about her the other day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad