News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Oct 15, 2008
Also the What has Brown got to say that I haven't heard a million times already? Factor. Hernan Salas & Matt Kassian are both good support players for Gazzola as well.
Rob Brown is fine, but the problem is there is no objectivity. They are cheerleaders and shills. Frankly its embarrassing.

Back in the day Rod was an unabashed homer too, but make no mistake, he was never a afraid to call a spade a shovel, and he wouldn’t mince words when they were warranted. Same goes for John Short. In fact he was so honest it got him blacklisted by the organization, which speaks for itself quite frankly.

The Oilers have been a garbage organization in every way since Katz took over, and the broadcast product certainly isn’t immune, and in fact it is a perfect reflection of how bad the product has become.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like him actually.
I don't mind him as he isn't over the top and seems to be the guy that can see both sides of a story.

I like the business aspect that he can bring from the different games as well. By no means is he can't miss for me, but I'm not irritated listening to him.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Well yes I Hardly listen to him thought my name would of gave that hint
No, actually your name shows that you are a shill for Stauffer.
So given that you don't listen to Jamieson, Im not sure why you would say all he talks about is football.
Other than to denigrate your competitors product, without merit.

Reactions: oilersnowfan

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
That's what he said on the outsiders podcast

I mean maybe in total over the 4 years they have been podcasting for.

But if he claims he gets 2.1 million listeners per podcast or an average it would be the most listened to sports podcast in North American by almost a million. Which is hilarious.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I mean maybe in total over the 4 years they have been podcasting for.

But if he claims he gets 2.1 million listeners per podcast or an average it would be the most listened to sports podcast in North American by almost a million. Which is hilarious.

It was wrongly worded by the OP. It's 2 million downloads over the last year.

But they used to split each show into 4 downloadable parts so maybe divide that total by 4 to get number of listeners over the past year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was wrongly worded by the OP. It's 2 million downloads over the last year.

But they used to split each show into 4 downloadable parts so maybe divide that total by 4 to get number of listeners over the past year.

I mean 2mil divided by 4 gives you 500k.

But wouldn't you then divide it by the number of actual shows leaving you with roughly 2000 people downloading the show a day?

In all fairness I have no idea what a good or bad podcast number is, but all of sudden 2mil downloads isn't as many people as one would think.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I mean 2mil divided by 4 gives you 500k.

But wouldn't you then divide it by the number of actual shows leaving you with roughly 2000 people downloading the show a day?

In all fairness I have no idea what a good or bad podcast number is, but all of sudden 2mil downloads isn't as many people as one would think.

That's what i was thinking. It sounds like one of those marketing statements to charge more for advertisements or whatever.

McDonalds had that "over 100 billion hamburgers sold" for years and years.

Reactions: joestevens29

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I do listen to the podcasts cause I’m @ work with no access to radio.

I enjoy the show for the most part, but lately there are some commercials embedded in the middle of each hour or half hour.

They are pitched by Stauffer and in my opinion they are totally cringeworthy, disrupt the flow of the show, so I may not be a part of the 2.1 million podcasters anymore...

Im not the only one that fines that annoying. i hate it when they run them right in the middle of an interview. but ched has started to really make their podcasts garbage. they cut out jesperson from 30 min segments to just the actual interview. no set up. nothing.

very dissapointed in ched and its why i will gravitate to 1260. their quality is much better

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Im not the only one that fines that annoying. i hate it when they run them right in the middle of an interview. but ched has started to really make their podcasts garbage. they cut out jesperson from 30 min segments to just the actual interview. no set up. nothing.

very dissapointed in ched and its why i will gravitate to 1260. their quality is much better
After the got rid of coast to coast am and the old-time radio hr I lost all respect for that station. outside the games, I can't be bothered to listen to ched anymore

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone else find Dave Jamieson unbearable to listen to? Just no personality.. show is so dull. As bad as Bob can be sometimes, I'm listening to OilersNow over the Jamieson show easily.
I like both Stauffer and Jamieson but I prefer Dave's show to Bob's and it comes down to my preferences as a listener which are:
1. TSN 1260 over 630 CHED for lots of reasons.
2. While I'm an Oilers lifer, I prefer to hear a variety of different sports/leagues being discussed to all Oilers/NHL, all the time.
3. Jamieson's wit & wisdom goes underappreciated by many but is definitely there to be heard- especially during his on-air interaction with his humorously pompous young producer Matthew Iwanyk. To me, Dave is currently the closest thing we have to the great John Short (in his heyday) on Edmonton airwaves.
4. Going back to his days calling Golden Bears hockey & football games and writing a column in Edmonton Sportscene (anyone remember that?), I've been a fan of Stauffer. I'll always admire guys like him & Jason Gregor who worked their way up from pretty much nowhere to get where they are: in Bob's case a broadcasting gig with an NHL team. Still, I liked listening to Bob a lot more when he was able to express his opinions more freely.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like both Stauffer and Jamieson but I prefer Dave's show to Bob's and it comes down to my preferences as a listener which are:
1. TSN 1260 over 630 CHED for lots of reasons.
2. While I'm an Oilers lifer, I prefer to hear a variety of different sports/leagues being discussed to all Oilers/NHL, all the time.
3. Jamieson's wit & wisdom goes underappreciated by many but is definitely there to be heard- especially during his on-air interaction with his humorously pompous young producer Matthew Iwanyk. To me, Dave is currently the closest thing we have to the great John Short (in his heyday) on Edmonton airwaves.
4. Going back to his days calling Golden Bears hockey & football games and writing a column in Edmonton Sportscene (anyone remember that?), I've been a fan of Stauffer. I'll always admire guys like him & Jason Gregor who worked their way up from pretty much nowhere to get where they are: in Bob's case a broadcasting gig with an NHL team. Still, I liked listening to Bob a lot more when he was able to express his opinions more freely.
To me Jamieson is similar to why I like guys like Kassian and Strudwick. He bring a business side insight that often goes missed on the other shows. He doesn't pretend to know everything, but when the topics that he knows are discussed you get amazing insight.

He also strikes me as a very nice man.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nielson must be getting groomed for a full time PBP spot with TSN as he's calling the Stamps-ALs game tomorrow.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have to say that CHED kicks TSN 1260's ass when it comes to timely posting of the audio from their radio shows.
Hoping to listen to TSN's Oilers post game show and of course it isnt even up on the site yet.
CHED posts their audio within 30 minutes after the show ends.
Maybe be sometime tomorrow TSN will get around to posting the Post game show from tonight. :shakehead

I remember last year when I checked the audio vault at the 1260 website and the Don Wheaton Post game page hadnt been updated in over a year. So I guess having it updated in 12 hours is a major improvement for them. So I should probably cut them some slack considering their low standards. :nod:

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone else find Bob Stauffer's shilling pretty hilarious? He pushes carb heavy, fat heavy Royal Pizza on the radio... then pushes Good Food's Ketogenic Low Carb food options on the Podcast as well as the Peleton Cycle Bike which we all know there is no way he is using. Then on the radio he'll be extolling the virtues of small town family owned Ford dealerships one day and on another he'll tell you why you should buy a Ford from a big city dealer / mega corporation like Go Auto the next.

I get it, it's all advertising dollars... but I find it amusing.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone else find Bob Stauffer's shilling pretty hilarious? He pushes carb heavy, fat heavy Royal Pizza on the radio... then pushes Good Food's Ketogenic Low Carb food options on the Podcast as well as the Peleton Cycle Bike which we all know there is no way he is using. Then on the radio he'll be extolling the virtues of small town family owned Ford dealerships one day and on another he'll tell you why you should buy a Ford from a big city dealer / mega corporation like Go Auto the next.

I get it, it's all advertising dollars... but I find it amusing.
In all fairness the guy was on a big weight loss kick a few years back. I could see him supporting both healthy and non-healthy places.

Maybe he should support one more than the other, but it's something I guess.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
In all fairness the guy was on a big weight loss kick a few years back. I could see him supporting both healthy and non-healthy places.

Maybe he should support one more than the other, but it's something I guess.
That's not really his call is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->