Edmonton & Ottawa profitability

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
The relationships between the major players in the the whole Ottawa Senators saga is best described as incestuous. Bryden was in it from the start my friend. Truth be told Firestone, looked good on the surface but didn't have the kind of money necessary to go it alone with Terrace and so they needed investors of which Bryden was one. Jimmy Durrell put them all together along with some of the so called Bank St Mafia guys and between them they were able to come up with about half of the 5m dollar initial fee to the NHL and a promise to build a new arena. It is no coincidence that both Mike Cowpland and Terry Matthews turned them down flat as far as getting involved with the deal. Those two both had real money and knew Firestone and the rest of that crew were merely poseurs.

I know what the "official" story says, but what really went on behind the scenes is a whole lot different. LeBreton was sitting vacant and barren at the time and the "War Museum" wasn't on the radar in the least as it was an unprofitable derelict sitting opposite "City Centre." LeBreton had been talked about off and on for about 15 years as a great place for development as the NCC wanted it off their hands, it wasn't making them a dime and the arena meant lots of income and why it was inititally offered to them through the city/province.

I was still very active in the Ottawa business community at the time and had a very close up view of what really went on and oh my it was high comedy. Those guys left so many people holding the bag it was shameful.

Still there were alot of people against the arena just as they are aginst the oseg bid.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The relationships between the major players in the the whole Ottawa Senators saga is best described as incestuous. Bryden was in it from the start my friend. Truth be told Firestone, looked good on the surface but didn't have the kind of money necessary to go it alone with Terrace and so they needed investors of which Bryden was one. Jimmy Durrell put them all together along with some of the so called Bank St Mafia guys and between them they were able to come up with about half of the 5m dollar initial fee to the NHL and a promise to build a new arena. It is no coincidence that both Mike Cowpland and Terry Matthews turned them down flat as far as getting involved with the deal. Those two both had real money and knew Firestone and the rest of that crew were merely poseurs.

I know what the "official" story says, but what really went on behind the scenes is a whole lot different. LeBreton was sitting vacant and barren at the time and the "War Museum" wasn't on the radar in the least as it was an unprofitable derelict sitting opposite "City Centre." LeBreton had been talked about off and on for about 15 years as a great place for development as the NCC wanted it off their hands, it wasn't making them a dime and the arena meant lots of income and why it was inititally offered to them through the city/province.

I was still very active in the Ottawa business community at the time and had a very close up view of what really went on and oh my it was high comedy. Those guys left so many people holding the bag it was shameful.

And yet you got everything wrong.Lebreton Flats being offered for free(and no mention of NCC) and Rod Bryden driving the devlopment around Scotia Bank Place.

Talking nonsense and then claiming that you know secrets not available to anyone else is pretty weak sauce.

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007
The Oilers when they get their new Arena will likely have a huge spike in proftibility.

ONLY if there is no significant debt on the arena that Katz-Oilers will have to pay. Otherwise all that extra revenue they would get would go to debt payments....

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I've wondered why Quebec produces a million tons of maple syrup per second, but the other guys get named after the sacred tree of Canada.

Montreal got first choice of names, their own fault

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
And yet you got everything wrong.Lebreton Flats being offered for free(and no mention of NCC) and Rod Bryden driving the devlopment around Scotia Bank Place.

Talking nonsense and then claiming that you know secrets not available to anyone else is pretty weak sauce.

you do know that Bryden was involved from year #3 in the franchise don't you

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I've wondered why Quebec produces a million tons of maple syrup per second, but the other guys get named after the sacred tree of Canada.

6383.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad