Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Crow is good enough to steal a series, even against McDavid and Draisatl.
It's still a longshot though, it's not like he'll be in mid-season form.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Caggiula
Smith-Carpenter-Kampf/Highmore/Hagel

Keith-Boqvist
de Haan-Murphy
Maatta-Beaudin
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia/Subban

No Ian Mitchell is brutal. Can't win the cup without him, but the blueline is still okay since de Haan is returning.

Really hate the 4th line (except Carpenter).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Caggiula
Smith-Carpenter-Kampf/Highmore/Hagel

Keith-Boqvist
de Haan-Murphy
Maatta-Beaudin
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia/Subban

No Ian Mitchell is brutal. Can't win the cup without him, but the blueline is still okay since de Haan is returning.

Really hate the 4th line (except Carpenter).
Beaudin had one good game, but it was just one game. Lucas Carlsson only had 6, but that's still a bit more than Beaudin. And Carlsson is older, bigger, better defensively, just as fast, and was the better player in Rockford this season.

Beaudin may turn out better, but I'd be shocked if he was in instead of Carlsson.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Beaudin had one good game, but it was just one game. Lucas Carlsson only had 6, but that's still a bit more than Beaudin. And Carlsson is older, bigger, better defensively, just as fast, and was the better player in Rockford this season.

Beaudin may turn out better, but I'd be shocked if he was in instead of Carlsson.
I don't care about Carlsson. Give Beaudin the playoff experience. Invest in the better player.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't care about Carlsson. Give Beaudin the playoff experience. Invest in the better player.
Carlsoson IS the better player. You seem to be saying play the better prospect really though.

But I doubt either plays over 4K. JC is probably sticking to what they had late on the season but CDH if back just fills that rotating slot post Gus trade

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
The rooks getting playoff experience huge obviously - 'pecially if Mitchell lives up to Musto's hype. Cheering it on fer shure, too.

So much time off predict least 1-2 goalies kinda single-handedly win a series and - bias readily admitted - Crow definitely has the bona fides.

McDavid & Draisaitl tho ... Hawks GOTTA stay outta the box. I dunno if my ticker's up to the
stress load ... Hell ... you only live once.
Let's do this ...
GoHawks.

Reactions: Cowch

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's gonna be fun, sloppy, back and forth hockey.

I think McDavid and Draisaitl are far enough above the rest to take the series in 3 or 4, short of Corey Crawford going BASED GOD mode.

The Blackhawks are simply closer to the teams that didn't even make the play-in than they are to Edmonton, who I couldn't consider a legit contender.

Reactions: Blackhawks and KWP

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint

Carlsson small sample - VERY - but have to say he looked really good - not overwhelmed at all, smart, sure plays ...
Him, Beaudin, even Mitchell ... Whoever produces gets the TOI. Very up for all 3 guys' chances, first two my own eyes, Musto's guy ... take his scouting all for it being right.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Crow is good enough to steal a series, even against McDavid and Draisatl.
It's still a longshot though, it's not like he'll be in mid-season form.

Yeah I would say ... Dialed in Crow, here we go ... Rusty tho Crow, 3 & out and not pretty either.
We'll see ...

Curious too who Colliton pegs for backup. Would like to see Delia get playoff experience if only opening & closing the door to the bench.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Seabs won't be ready. I'd almost guarantee it.

This is going to be a "tell" for Colliton.
If Seabrook can go and Colitton "safe" plays it "the veteran's experience" (daHaan as well, I grew to like his game alot but at this point, unfortunately, he's an injury waiting to happen.)

Other hand, Colliton gives the rooks a look - and they're too new realize just what playoff NHL hockey
is - and play well ... That would really be impressive.

Ballsy his own man Colitton or play it safe 2nd year NHL, 1st time playoffs coach ...
Lots of variables ... Should be interesting ...
GoHawks.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Sit Strome, we don’t need turtles on the ice with the likes of McDavid on the ice, Strome is gonna cost the Hawks 3-4 goals this series...

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Sit Strome, we don’t need turtles on the ice with the likes of McDavid on the ice, Strome is gonna cost the Hawks 3-4 goals this series...
I understand not being thrilled with Stromes play this year but benching him is just nonsenical.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I understand not being thrilled with Stromes play this year but benching him is just nonsenical.

Nobody is going to contain McDavid completely but the Oilers need to be slowed down in the neutral zone. An excellent time for JC to prove he belongs in the NHL as a coach. Hawks need a solid defence-first game plan however my confidence that Hawks coaching will somehow be good come July may be wishful thinking on my part..

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

I honestly don’t understand why Strome has any business being on the ice with the speedsters Oils have. He is so one dimensional and bad defensively he’s a liability and when I say he will be responsible for 3-4 goals this series, you will see that actually conspire and if the Hawks are gonna win this series they will need to consistently climb through the holes he digs. He will also be invisible in the O zone if not paired with Kane to prop him.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I honestly don’t understand why Strome has any business being on the ice with the speedsters Oils have. He is so one dimensional and bad defensively he’s a liability and when I say he will be responsible for 3-4 goals this series, you will see that actually conspire and if the Hawks are gonna win this series they will need to actively climb through that holes he digs. He will also be invisible in the O zone if not paired with Kane to prop him.

We can hope that Strome has worked hard during this layoff and hopefully he can take advantage of the ops athletes who didn't work that hard.

That said, I am no fan of Strome; not at top-6 money.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Teams have 2 months to scout their opponent. If I am JC I would change the system and come out completely different than before. Tippets system is usually pretty tight defensive but still allows the offense to run

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The series will ultimately coming down to how good Crawford plays. Can't contain both McDavid and Draisaitl with our D corps and lack of defensive continuity we've seen from our forwards this year. Maybe the time off will be great for us, doubting it though.

Oilers win in 4 games

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The series will ultimately coming down to how good Crawford plays. Can't contain both McDavid and Draisaitl with our D corps and lack of defensive continuity we've seen from our forwards this year. Maybe the time off will be great for us, doubting it though.

Oilers win in 4 games
It's a best of 5, not 7.

Edit: misread your post. Nevermind

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
does it really feel like PO hockey and like it should happen? Still not sure, but the Company will make Money and that's what Counts.

It's 50/50 for all Teams/series. Nobody knows how good everybody starts the Comeback and this gives us a good Chance.

Crow

May 19, 2014
does it really feel like PO hockey and like it should happen? Still not sure, but the Company will make Money and that's what Counts.

It's 50/50 for all Teams/series. Nobody knows how good everybody starts the Comeback and this gives us a good Chance.
Doesn’t feel like real playoff hockey to me with this huge gap in time. Seems like a lot of people are making predictions on how teams were performing before a few month long lay off. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

I don’t know who is going to win this series, and I don’t expect Crawford to be near his A game. I’ve always thought he is at his best when he is playing a ton. That’s not to say he can’t do it, but it seems unlikely to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->