Edmonton Oilers maintain a skilled, balanced pipeline in Top 20 update

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Edmonton Oilers Spring Top 20 saw very little movement in the top 10 ranks while the bottom 10 prospects were shuffled more drastically. The top 10 features a number of highly skilled prospects who are either currently filling regular spots on the Oilers' roster such as Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz or are looking slated to do so in the future.

The bottom 10 is slightly less cut and dried: While all of these players possess great hockey talent and a strong skillset, most have at least one questionable factor standing between them and NHL success, whether it's age, inconsistency, size or otherwise.… read more

More...

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
^i think Toni Rajala should be at least 7.0 C just because he's done quite well in the ECHL and now the AHL. put up some pretty impressive numbers, and in my point of view, is now a true prospect and not a suspect anymore. likely the reason Tobias Rieder was expendable.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
GOd, HF is laughable

and since when are NHL regulars prospects anymore? They arent unknowns at the NHL level anymore, therefor i believe they arent prospects. Unfinished, unpolished, sure but prospects nope.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
These always make me feel confident in the Oilers' drafting, but then I remember that I was super hyped on players like Cornet, Pitlick, Plante and Hamilton.

Though Edmonton definitely has a decent pool of prospects, I don't know if we're top 10. No, I'm obviously not counting Schultz and Yakupov.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Seems like too many of our forwards are struggling at the AHL level. We need to get someone in there to help the coaching staff get these kids to the next level.

And yes, that report was hilarious.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
it is when hf posts threads like this I question if they get a bit lazy sometimes

number 1 yakupov--on the team the entire year
number 2 schultz-- on the team the entire year

I have been a long time advocate of HF changing how they decide who the prospects are and when they do lists like this of guys who have been on the roster the entire season--for me they are mailing it in. But, there are some people around here who put weight on how they put their lists together

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I see it's that time of year again.

The semi-annual fan discussion thread about how Hfboard writers don't know anything.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
In what universe is Moroz the ninth best prospect in the Oilers system? Ahead of Gernat?!?

Ridiculous. He's the closest thing you can have to a failed prospect after a single season of hockey, and he jumps eight spots? What is the reason--organization mandate to the HF writer?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why is Moroz in the top 10 :facepalm:
Once Yakupov, Schultz, Hartikainen, and Lander graduate (which will almost certainly happen midway through next season), suddenly our prospect pool looks pretty barren.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In what universe is Moroz the ninth best prospect in the Oilers system? Ahead of Gernat?!?

Ridiculous. He's the closest thing you can have to a failed prospect after a single season of hockey, and he jumps eight spots? What is the reason--organization mandate to the HF writer?

How many times did you watch him play this season?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Why is Moroz in the top 10 :facepalm:
Once Yakupov, Schultz, Hartikainen, and Lander graduate (which will almost certainly happen midway through next season), suddenly our prospect pool looks pretty barren.

Moroz in the top 10 shows how pathetic our drafting/scouting has been in the past 5 years (other than the 1st pick overall). There is no longer any real depth to our system. Ouch .... the rebuild is going to take longer than we hoped.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Oilers have very few legitimate NHL prospects: Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, maybe Lander. The rest are extremely long shots to ever be more than AHL players, which is pretty sad given how many high 2nd and 3rd rounders they had in the past 3 years.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oilers have very few legitimate NHL prospects: Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, maybe Lander. The rest are extremely long shots to ever be more than AHL players, which is pretty sad given how many high 2nd and 3rd rounders they had in the past 3 years.

In Stu we trust?:help:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Him and his team were getting allot of credit the last couple of years.

Still better than the guy drafting Jesse Niniimaki, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, and Alex Plante in the first round IMO. Instead of being the second worst team at drafting in the NHL (Calgary), we're just a regular old bottom 10 team at drafting.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Sadly, the scouting staff has input into trades as well. At least they got Tambourine fired.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I have been disappointed in/anxious about our pro-scouting for almost a decade now. I know there have been a few shuffles and moves, and we've had guys like Howson and MacT doing a lot of scouting lately... but I think they need to continue adjusting until we all feel a little more comfortable with their ability to stay on top of talent assessment. Things change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad