OT: Edmonton ODRs

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Growing up as a kid in Nova Scotia odr’s were not a thing so when I moved here I was so amazed by the fact that basically every neighborhood had a community league with a rink.

Back in the day we used to clear off a lake or pond, everyone would show up with a shovel and get it done haha. The ice wasn’t great and you were chasing pucks for days but man do I have some great memories.

Eventually a guy built a rink shaped duck pond not far from where I lived and he would clear it off and let the kids play hockey on it. The water level was about 2 feet lower then the bank so it kinda gave you some boards. I used to pack my lunch and thermos full of hot chocolate and would spend entire days out there and more then a couple times the laces on one or both of my skates would freeze up so bad I couldn’t get them off so I had to walk the 3-4 km’s back to my house wearing one or both skates with skate guards on lmao.

My fondest memories as a kid were walking from my house to the ODR and seeing my friends already there taking slapshots and the smell of hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill at the concession wafting in the air.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Growing up as a kid in Nova Scotia odr’s were not a thing so when I moved here I was so amazed by the fact that basically every neighborhood had a community league with a rink.

Back in the day we used to clear off a lake or pond, everyone would show up with a shovel and get it done haha. The ice wasn’t great and you were chasing pucks for days but man do I have some great memories.

Eventually a guy built a rink shaped duck pond not far from where I lived and he would clear it off and let the kids play hockey on it. The water level was about 2 feet lower then the bank so it kinda gave you some boards. I used to pack my lunch and thermos full of hot chocolate and would spend entire days out there and more then a couple times the laces on one or both of my skates would freeze up so bad I couldn’t get them off so I had to walk the 3-4 km’s back to my house wearing one or both skates with skate guards on lmao.

Couple of quick ODR memories. One time I was the last to leave the ice, went into the shack, and someone had stolen my boots. Only pair left were about 3 sizes to small. So I ended up 'skating' home, mainly on the concrete sidewalk. Another time we were just finishing our game of shinny, and a guy showed up to shoot some pucks. He had a brand of stick I had never heard of called 'Wally'. He had three of them. He took three shots, broke a stick with each shot, and left the rink cursing. Took all of about 1 minute.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Loving the odr memories. Christmas Day rushing over before or after wjc games, rocking the team Canada jersey.

Me and my buddy used to play 1v1 for hours and we were so competitive we went so hard against each other. I remember once I tried to cut hard and spin away from him and he leaned on me while I was losing my edge and I went into the boards nearly perfectly horizontal plastered on the boards like an advertisement. I wasn’t hurt and were laughing about it and then I look up and there’s a rusty old screw sticking out of the boards that my face missed by like 4 inches.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have one across the street from my house and this was the year I was going to finally learn to skate

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Couple of quick ODR memories. One time I was the last to leave the ice, went into the shack, and someone had stolen my boots. Only pair left were about 3 sizes to small. So I ended up 'skating' home, mainly on the concrete sidewalk. Another time we were just finishing our game of shinny, and a guy showed up to shoot some pucks. He had a brand of stick I had never heard of called 'Wally'. He had three of them. He took three shots, broke a stick with each shot, and left the rink cursing. Took all of about 1 minute.

What other f***ing kid wears size 14 shoes?:laugh:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
128038532_10158699257741047_4053493916008031426_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->