OT: Edmonton ODRs

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Hey guys, I just have a quick question about the outdoor rinks in town. Which rinks usually have a game going and at what times? I've been to a few ODRs recently with a few buddy's but usually were the only ones out there or there are a few other guys just taking shots on an empty net. Would love to find a place that consistently has a game of shiny going! Thnaks in advance!

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm surprised that they've been open; my local rinks used to close if it was -20 C° (this was ten years ago, though)

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I'm surprised that they've been open; my local rinks used to close if it was -20 C° (this was ten years ago, though)
Yea we've been going when its like -15ish, its honestly not too bad once you get moving and if you wear a few layers

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
By the time this cold spell snaps, it will be full on spring, and no one will be able to use the rinks because they'll be turning to slush. No middle ground.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
It's predicted (I know, weather forecasts can be pretty unreliable) that once this cold snap ends in a few weeks, it will go straight into spring-like weather. Might be time to get acclimated to indoor rinks asap.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
beauty of an evening tonight and for the next couple weeks. I think the worst of the cold is done. Not sure if its being crazy after all the cold weather but it felt warm out there tonight.

How was the ice surface quality? Were there fractures/cracks from the prior excessively cold nights?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
*bump*

Any ODRs that are up and running yet? I know some years you have to wait till December, but we've had a pretty cold November and I know a couple of backyard rinks that are already open...

Reactions: dss97

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Mckernan is open, so I'm assuming lots of other community rinks are open as well. Couldn't find any safety regulations or restrictions posted around the rink, so I'm assuming it's business as usual.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Mckernan is open, so I'm assuming lots of other community rinks are open as well. Couldn't find any safety regulations or restrictions posted around the rink, so I'm assuming it's business as usual.

Indoor group sports have been prohibited for the time being. Rumour has it that some minor hockey teams are therefore looking to book ODRs in order to get out on the ice. Going at it old school...

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Not the outdoor skating, but the "packed" part.
I think that they'll be busier than ever with organized hockey cancelled and the lack of other stuff to do. And any potential restrictions from the Municipal or Provincial governments are going to be awfully difficult to enforce.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think that they'll be busier than ever with organized hockey cancelled and the lack of other stuff to do. And any potential restrictions from the Municipal or Provincial governments are going to be awfully difficult to enforce.
Not disputing they'll be busier than ever. That is the issue, and you're helping to make my point. Difficult to enforce? Not really. Have an enforcement officer drive around and sees a rink with 150 people on it. Disperse, or tickets issued. A lot tougher to do for gatherings inside, where you don't have a view.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Not disputing they'll be busier than ever. That is the issue, and you're helping to make my point. Difficult to enforce? Not really. Have an enforcement officer drive around and sees a rink with 150 people on it. Disperse, or tickets issued. A lot tougher to do for gatherings inside, where you don't have a view.
At that point you might as well close them down, because I'm not sure how you can decide who stays and who goes when it's at capacity.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
127163089_10164405186070514_152858652059326726_n.jpg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Growing up as a kid in Nova Scotia odr’s were not a thing so when I moved here I was so amazed by the fact that basically every neighborhood had a community league with a rink.

Back in the day we used to clear off a lake or pond, everyone would show up with a shovel and get it done haha. The ice wasn’t great and you were chasing pucks for days but man do I have some great memories.

Eventually a guy built a rink shaped duck pond not far from where I lived and he would clear it off and let the kids play hockey on it. The water level was about 2 feet lower then the bank so it kinda gave you some boards. I used to pack my lunch and thermos full of hot chocolate and would spend entire days out there and more then a couple times the laces on one or both of my skates would freeze up so bad I couldn’t get them off so I had to walk the 3-4 km’s back to my house wearing one or both skates with skate guards on lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad