Proposal: Edmonton-Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Terrible, Lehkonen will become a ~45 point/20g 2 way beast (he's already a great forechecker and defensive player). That's pretty much a guarantee for him. You still don't know what you have in Puljujarvi. Every team needs guys like that, they play really hard/heavy minutes.

Agreed. Terrible value to the Habs due to Puljujarvi being unproven and not trending well. Lehkonen is not a points guy, he is a top 9 asset that plays a fast game and causes turnovers. His value is more than what most give him credit for.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I have watched over half the Oilers games this season and last. From my view, I just don’t see JP’s upside. I don’t see the indicators of a young player with potential to create primary offense. As a secondary player who is required to score off the back of more talented players, he has yet to produce. In fact he has regressed over the course of the last 2 years.

If he can’t priduce with Nuge, McDavid and Leon (and he has been given ample opportunity with those guys), what makes Habs fans think he can do it with Domi, Danault and KK?

If there were indicators of potential:
E.g. power drive to the net, cutting in the middle for a shot, vision to make a pass to a trailing player, one-timer snipe on the PP, saucer passes, receiving hard passes....

All i see is a guy who can cycle down low but not much else. He can’t make quick plays, can’t receive a pass cleanly, shoots into the goalies crest, lacks quickness...

Claude Julien would chee him up and then spit him out. Tortorella would light him on fire at center ice and then blame him for melting the ice.

He’s not worth trading for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have watched over half the Oilers games this season and last. From my view, I just don’t see JP’s upside. I don’t see the indicators of a young player with potential to create primary offense. As a secondary player who is required to score off the back of more talented players, he has yet to produce. In fact he has regressed over the course of the last 2 years.

If he can’t priduce with Nuge, McDavid and Leon (and he has been given ample opportunity with those guys), what makes Habs fans think he can do it with Domi, Danault and KK?

If there were indicators of potential:
E.g. power drive to the net, cutting in the middle for a shot, vision to make a pass to a trailing player, one-timer snipe on the PP, saucer passes, receiving hard passes....

All i see is a guy who can cycle down low but not much else. He can’t make quick plays, can’t receive a pass cleanly, shoots into the goalies crest, lacks quickness...

Claude Julien would chee him up and then spit him out. Tortorella would light him on fire at center ice and then blame him for melting the ice.

He’s not worth trading for.

I'd be interested in a Hudon and a pick for Puljujarvi. I think the Habs top 9 is much deeper and I'm willing to take a shot on Puljujarvi but I'm not drooling to acquire him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd be interested in a Hudon and a pick for Puljujarvi. I think the Habs top 9 is much deeper and I'm willing to take a shot on Puljujarvi but I'm not drooling to acquire him.

But Oilers have no reason for doing that. Hudon has no value, nor does he have much upside.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not a chance I would do this.

Lehkonen is more valuable than some fans seem to see. And he's going to be very valuable if we make the playoffs.

You can call him an unoffensive black hole all you want, but at least the puck isn't in our end.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Rather keep Puljujarvi and see if he can blossom with whatever coach Edmonton hires next season (hopefully not outdated ones like Jesse has had his entire NHL career). He's looked very good when playing with McDavid and Draisaitl, but he makes one mistake and gets demoted to the 4th line. One of his most consistent linemates has been Milan Lucic. That's just setting him up for failure. Needs a fair chance with a modern coach that will utilize his assets properly

People calling him a bust at 20 yrs old are ridiculous
Don't hire Therrien, that's his MO.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
If I'm the Habs, I would do it without hesitation. It worth the risk as Puljujarvi is only 20 year old and still have lot of potential. Some players take more time to develop. Lehkonen is a bottom 6 IMO, he's very good defensively however he lack the vision to be a playmaker and doesn't have the hands to be an effective offensive threat. For me, he could easily be replace in a year or two with Jacob Olofson who should be also a guy with very good defensive skills but limited offensive.

Reactions: Thenameless

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

And, unless there were injuries, he likely wouldn't get a chance to play with any of those guys either. Montreal is definitely not the place for him.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The deal is probably fair if Lehk wasn’t struggling offensively but I don’t the think EDM is selling low, they will ride out and waive or get lesser return if he can’t turn it around.
Mtl would probably the best place for him to turn thing around.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If I'm the Habs, I would do it without hesitation. It worth the risk as Puljujarvi is only 20 year old and still have lot of potential. Some players take more time to develop. Lehkonen is a bottom 6 IMO, he's very good defensively however he lack the vision to be a playmaker and doesn't have the hands to be an effective offensive threat. For me, he could easily be replace in a year or two with Jacob Olofson who should be also a guy with very good defensive skills but limited offensive.

Yes, I agree. As Habs fans, a guy like Lehkonen is never going to help us win a Cup anyway. Sometimes you have to roll the dice with a younger player that has more potential. Or, to look at it from another perspective, if I were Edmonton, I'd be patient for at least one or two more seasons to see where this goes - I wouldn't want to give him up for just Lehkonen.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd be good with this.

Could wind up being the Domi/Galchenyuk trade... two underperforming youngsters who could use a change of scenery.

Lek is more certain to be a solid NHL player but PJ has way more upside. I'd do it for sure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers would have to kick in a 2nd round pick + if the Habs deal their 1st. And with that said, the Habs would not waste a pick on JP. He's not worth it.

Yeah, no. We’re not dealing Puljujarvi and a 2nd, never mind +, to move up 10-15 spots. That has no bearing in reality.

You have nothing that you’d move that is worth considering. Funny how most of you were against moving Lekhonen until he went ice cold. Guy has one goal and 5 points since Christmas - and one assist in his last ten games - and all of a sudden you’re all fine with it. Predictable.

Last edited:

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
That pick needs to be your first rounder, then. Hudon has no value whatsoever.

Yeaahhhh, nobody's paying a 1st round pick straight-up for Puljujarvi at this point, unless they're cup contenders. And even then, there are way better options on the market right now to spend a 1st round pick on.

Bretzkey

Feb 22, 2019
What about puljujarvi, Yamamoto, 19 second round and 20 second round. For drouin?? Straight up

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If I'm the Habs I do this.

It's a gamble for sure, but IMO you take that bet. Puljujarvi is three years younger and was just as good last season. He's struggling this year but he's playing in one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the league.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That pick needs to be your first rounder, then. Hudon has no value whatsoever.
lol you won't get a first round pick for JP at this point, theres even rumor his season is done... needs to clear waivers next year, thats a big downside on the market. i 100% get that it's not smart trading him right now for a realy Mehh return, but you won't get anything for him that is valuable at this point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
lol you won't get a first round pick for JP at this point, theres even rumor his season is done... needs to clear waivers next year, thats a big downside on the market. i 100% get that it's not smart trading him right now for a realy Mehh return, but you won't get anything for him that is valuable at this point.

Happy to sit on him and work with him. Can’t help him getting injured and needing surgery.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah, no. We’re not dealing Puljujarvi and a 2nd, never mind +, to move up 10-15 spots. That has no bearing in reality.

You have nothing that you’d move that is worth considering. Funny how most of you were against moving Lekhonen until he went ice cold. Guy has one goal and 5 points since Christmas - and one assist in his last ten games - and all of a sudden you’re all fine with it. Predictable.

I'm fine with moving Lehkonen for a player that will help the team longterm. JP is not that guy.

That said, i would prefer to keep Lehks. When he's not producing offensively, he's still producing defensively.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Happy to sit on him and work with him. Can’t help him getting injured and needing surgery.
i fully understand that, but if Oilers were to trade him and give up on him already ( he might have asked for a trade) they wouldn't get near you want!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->