Proposal: Edmonton-Montreal

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I made a thread with this proposal a couple days ago. I would do it as an Oilers fan.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lehkonen > Pulujarvi at this point. Lehky is 3 year NHL regular, vs Pulju, who is in the minors and trending towards bust.
Lehkonen is also 3 yr older and Puljujarvi is NOT in the minors.
Trending towards bust part may seem correct but he would still be just as good as Lehkonen (3rd liner, 25-30 pt winger) even if he busts.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Not sure I get the incentive on the Habs side to make this move. Size? That's all I can see.

(Yes, I'm fully aware of Puljujarvi's draft position)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not sure I get the incentive on the Habs side to make this move. Size? That's all I can see.

Speed + skill + size + youth + cheap contract aside from his draft position.

If used to his strengths he could be a useful player for whoever gets him. If you want to mold him into an all around player then he is a bottom 6 winger who wont get much done.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

If used to his strengths he could be a useful player for whoever gets him. If you want to mold him into an all around player then he is a bottom 6 winger who wont get much done.

As it stands, unless there are injuries, he won't play ahead of Gallagher, Shaw or Armia on the right side. He'll be stuck on the 4th line. I'm not sure how that is a better situation for him. Lehkonen plays both sides and plays on the PK which makes him more versatile. Both are up for new deals, I imagine Lehkonen will have a higher cap hit, so there's that.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Maybe he will be a bust, but i would take the risk on it... Could be a great pick for Montreal and it will cost Lehkonen, we have players similar to him.

Both have potentiel, time will tell

Pulju could be a De La Rose but its a risk that could pay...

Reactions: Dan Kelly

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Probably a fair deal. Thing is Lehkonen is a contributor to a playoff team.

Puljujarvi is a reclamation project.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Right handed shot, who can (hopefully ) bring offense

Probably a fair deal. Thing is Lehkonen is a contributor to a playoff team.

Puljujarvi is a reclamation project.

Lehkonen provides solid defensive play and hustle. Basically, what you can find in most 4th liners.

Puljujarvi might be heading towards being a bust, but he has some talent in there and could turn it around and be a 20 goal scorer. Or score 6-8, like Lehkonen will this year and we just let Puljujarvi go.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I would do it as a Habs fan. Sure the trade may backfire and could look bad but if JP turns it around it could be a great trade.

As a GM you sometimes have to take chances.

Reactions: BringJordanHome

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Trending towards bust part may seem correct but he would still be just as good as Lehkonen (3rd liner, 25-30 pt winger) even if he busts.
Pt wise the same but big on the ice difference. One plays the whole game while the other would be a disaster without the puck but as we stand that player is a disaster with the puck also.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You describe a young player who's averaged 30 points per 82 games a 25-30 point player? You assume he's going to regress, or completely stagnate and not improve at all?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Rather keep Puljujarvi and see if he can blossom with whatever coach Edmonton hires next season (hopefully not outdated ones like Jesse has had his entire NHL career). He's looked very good when playing with McDavid and Draisaitl, but he makes one mistake and gets demoted to the 4th line. One of his most consistent linemates has been Milan Lucic. That's just setting him up for failure. Needs a fair chance with a modern coach that will utilize his assets properly

People calling him a bust at 20 yrs old are ridiculous

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Lehkhonen is way more than a 25-30pts winger. Hck he's already there this season w/ an all-time low shooting %...

Guy is easily a 20-20 kind of guy w/ great defensive ability, Frolik imo would be a good comparable...

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

Which is exactly why the Habs need to stay away...you just know that's the way they'll try to use him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The only reason I can see to deal a young player like Puljujarvi is because next year he will no longer be waiver exempt. If the Oilers send him down he'll get snapped up and Edmonton will lose him for nothing. The alternative is to keep him with the big club which isn't ideal for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad