GDT: Edmonton McDrai’s vs Sharks 7:30pm NBCSN

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, streaks have to come to an end. I'm hoping they can take one of the next two games, but they will be tough. Now might be a good time to play Vegas though. The Islanders game is going to be interesting.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
NBC gushing over the Oilers. Am I the only one that thinks their team isn't any good and they just have two superstars who can put up points... Eerily similar to the Sharks in the 00's...

Reactions: themelkman and Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
NBC gushing over the Oilers. Am I the only one that thinks their team isn't any good and they just have two superstars who can put up points... Eerily similar to the Sharks in the 00's...
Yup the sharks could easily have been in this one if they had any finish tonight.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I don’t think the Oilers team is overly great. 5 on 5 they really struggle outside of their top line. That being said their special teams have been terrific all year and their goaltenders (especially Koskinen) have consistently outplayed the others teams goaltenders. They also have rebounded well after bad games. They have lost very few games in a row.

Reactions: TopCheese and Phu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Well, I'll be worried if they lose terribly next game. 6 win streak is a good start but we need a lot more.

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don’t think the Oilers team is overly great. 5 on 5 they really struggle outside of their top line. That being said their special teams have been terrific all year and their goaltenders (especially Koskinen) have consistently outplayed the others teams goaltenders. They also have rebounded well after bad games. They have lost very few games in a row.

If Koskinen holds up the Oilers would have the best player in the game and a top-5 goaltender. That's going to do some damage in the postseason.

But...Koskinen will come down to Earth. It seems like too many things are not sustainable (high shooting percentages, PP conversion rate, etc.).

Still, when McDavid is at the top of his game, he caves the opposition in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The true test of this team's improvement is how they respond to bad play and how long it takes them to get out of slumps. Slumps are going to happen but they can't extend to where you're losing three or four games in a row like how the first month played out for them. This is two bad games in a row now and at least they won one of them but they can't win four to six in a row then drop four or five in a row. That's not going to cut it long term.

tahoesharksfan

Old Fart
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
It's so disappointing having to sit through such a lackadaisical performance especially when they actually looked so good against the exact same team just a week ago. This is turning out to be a challenging season on many levels.

Trying to think of the right words to put down here about Jumbo. It's painful watching him play at the level he's at right now...just saying.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Why was Jumbo sooo much better last year? Has his skating fallen off that much in the past year?

He's actually still pretty good in the offensive zone, but he's a total mess in the defensive and neutral zone. If Thornton were playing at last year's level (decent 2nd line C), I think SJ is in a divisional playoff spot. His drop and the loss of three top 9 players is awfully tough to overcome. I'd love to bump down Meier to play with Jumbo and Goodrow/Sorensen, as I think they could cover Jumbo's weaknesses defensively, and that would be a match-up problem for third lines/pairings. The problem is your top 6 would then be Kane, Hertl, Couture, Labanc, Marleau, and Sorensen/Goodrow? Yikes. Add Hall, and maybe I am comfortable, but yikes.

Burns, Karlsson, Simek, Vlasic, Dillon, Ferraro is the best d in the league even with poor play from the stars, but the goaltending is awful and the forwards are mediocre.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Why was Jumbo sooo much better last year? Has his skating fallen off that much in the past year?

He's actually still pretty good in the offensive zone, but he's a total mess in the defensive and neutral zone. If Thornton were playing at last year's level (decent 2nd line C), I think SJ is in a divisional playoff spot. His drop and the loss of three top 9 players is awfully tough to overcome. I'd love to bump down Meier to play with Jumbo and Goodrow/Sorensen, as I think they could cover Jumbo's weaknesses defensively, and that would be a match-up problem for third lines/pairings. The problem is your top 6 would then be Kane, Hertl, Couture, Labanc, Marleau, and Sorensen/Goodrow? Yikes. Add Hall, and maybe I am comfortable, but yikes.

Burns, Karlsson, Simek, Vlasic, Dillon, Ferraro is the best d in the league even with poor play from the stars, but the goaltending is awful and the forwards are mediocre.

Much larger issue then Jumbo Meier had 8 more goals at this point last year. If he was close to that this year we easily have 2 more wins maybe 3. Couture has less then half goal production as well.

With losing the depth and goals upfront and having them struggle big time in the goal department, kind of crazy we are about ,500 and worst goaltending in league once again

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu and one2gamble

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
I can’t wait til they fire Deboer so I don’t have to watch this point shot bull**** anymore. I can’t stand it.. I’m surprised they don’t drop it to the point during shootouts they’re so hardwired
You would hope that last night's game would be a stark lesson in the value of offensive strategies that move the puck into high probability scoring areas. It is too much to ask to expect PDB ever to get that.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Well I have to admit I don't really obsess over the hockey standings but I thought it was very interesting that the top 3 teams in the pacific are Edm, Phx, & Van, virtually a complete flipping of the hourglass as Randy said. Some of that might be unsustainable flukes but I love seeing things mixed up like that. As for SJ, they are in big trouble with the Karlsson contract. It will take a long time for them to dig themselves out of that. Let's hope they accumulate enough high draft choices in the forthcoming lean years to make a difference 10 years down the road. Of course Edm will continue to end up with the #1 pick most of those years from whatever cheat they have managed to game the system with.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Well I have to admit I don't really obsess over the hockey standings but I thought it was very interesting that the top 3 teams in the pacific are Edm, Phx, & Van, virtually a complete flipping of the hourglass as Randy said. Some of that might be unsustainable flukes but I love seeing things mixed up like that. As for SJ, they are in big trouble with the Karlsson contract. It will take a long time for them to dig themselves out of that. Let's hope they accumulate enough high draft choices in the forthcoming lean years to make a difference 10 years down the road. Of course Edm will continue to end up with the #1 pick most of those years from whatever cheat they have managed to game the system with.
Sharks are not drafting high anytime soon. Maybe 4-5 years down the road once the core ages and our defense is really screwed.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I know. It’s crazy talk. The other team knows Burns is going to rip it as soon as he gets it. It would be nice for him to fake it every now and then, freeze the challenging forward and skate it low. It opens up some ice and he’ll definitely have a passing lane or two. It’s just boring hockey and it’s not like we’re sacrificing offense for the sake of team defense...that sucks too.

Ovechkin has made a living doing the same thing from the same spot on the PP.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Ovechkin has made a living doing the same thing from the same spot on the PP.

Ovechkin is ripping one timers from the face off dot or top of the circle while Burns is dusting off the puck and wristing the puck from the blue line at a bad angle..The other team has a forward cheating to the point it’s so obvious.

Reactions: Blackbear

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Yes, it's the Karlsson contract that's the issue. We will just ignore the Vlasic until he is 39 contract, or the Burns' until he is 40. But that's just defence - how about the Couture until he is 36, or Jones' $5.75 until he is 33.
Hint: It's all the long-term and big money contracts.

Reactions: themelkman

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yes, it's the Karlsson contract that's the issue. We will just ignore the Vlasic until he is 39 contract, or the Burns' until he is 40. But that's just defence - how about the Couture until he is 36, or Jones' $5.75 until he is 33.
Hint: It's all the long-term and big money contracts.
He has serious issues with Karlsson. He complains about him a lot.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad