Edmonton knows where to find their replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

Newsguyone said:
Will I watch the Red Wings, with players like Matt Ellis and other borderline AHLers?

Or would i watch a new team with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.
That's not the question, Newsguyone.

The choice is between Matt Ellis and borderline AHLers or no hockey at all / lower level leagues.

Phanuthier*

Newsguyone said:
We Shall see.
Chris Chelios has told Detroit media that the PA has talked about a 6-10 league starting next season. Players not in Europe could play here.

We shall see.

There are enough arena's currently not in use by the NHL ... Hamilton. Winnipeg etc.
Didn't the PA already try that? What was it called, World All-Stars? :joker:

I challenge the PA to start up their own league. After finally realizing the problem the NHL is in, the NHLPA will be broken. :handclap:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Splatman Phanutier said:
Didn't the PA already try that? What was it called, World All-Stars? :joker:

I challenge the PA to start up their own league. After finally realizing the problem the NHL is in, the NHLPA will be broken. :handclap:
i think the wha just might find some legs - all it took before was bobby hull -

Phanuthier*

mr gib said:
i think the wha just might find some legs - all it took before was bobby hull -
... and didn't hte WHA have a cap too?

Wouldn't that that ever be a classic. Just like those Detriot Red Wing clowns Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios and Kris Draper signing in the UHL which has a cap. Almost as funny as Chris Chelios and his periodic threats to Gary Bettman's family. :joker:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Newsguyone said:
Unless the players find/create a new vehicle for hockey fans.

Will I watch the Red Wings, with players like Matt Ellis and other borderline AHLers?

It's a pretty damn easy question for me.

would you watch some of your younger DET prospects play with a mixture of AHL talent and teh 30-40% of NHL players who cross?

The reality is here that the NHLPA is splintered now and once a chance to work for some of teh lower end players is offered by the owners they will cross.

Anyone who think NHL players will not cross tline picket line for next season is a fool.

The top players won't cross but younger players and journeymen will cross and fans will come out to watch. The PA will fight it but in the end be forced to chosse between decertification and going back to work will all end up back in the league. The deal they will get will be absolutly terrible compared to the one they turned down and they will have tehmslves to thanks for it!

F. Duchemin

Feb 28, 2002
St-Hilaire
chriss_co said:
it wouldn't be long before all those players and prospects return the skill level back to normal.. so in essence we dont need today's star players because after several years they will just be remembered as the selfish @sses who stalled the game of hockey

Not several years... 2 month and we got almost all our stars back I bet.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
NYFAN said:
If you want to pay NHL prices for AHL product, that's your business. As for me, I'll just go to an AHL game.

when did the Owners say that ticket prices will stay the same? I must have missed that part

anyways, if we did see replacment players, I'm betting ticket prices would drop...

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Splatman Phanutier said:
... and didn't hte WHA have a cap too?

Wouldn't that that ever be a classic. Just like those Detriot Red Wing clowns Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios and Kris Draper signing in the UHL which has a cap. Almost as funny as Chris Chelios and his periodic threats to Gary Bettman's family. :joker:
don't know - but they lured the stars with $$$ - just might happen -

A Good Flying Bird*

NYFAN said:
If you want to pay NHL prices for AHL product, that's your business. As for me, I'll just go to an AHL game.

Exactly. If these guys are such great players who play with such heart, there is NOTHING stopping people from going to see them now. Hell, go to your local rec league. There's plenty of guys who play with heart.

A Good Flying Bird*

ladybugblue said:
Actually if you are a fan of the Oilers this is no different than what they have been doing for years. I wanted to put a Oiler name on the back of my Jersey and found that no player stayed long enough. I guess if you are in Detroit it is a different situation but for Oilers fan they have already been doing this for years.

Come on. You don't have 38 year old legends, like the Wings (Yzerman, CHelios, Hasek, Murphy, Joseph, Hull, Shanahan, Robitaille, Larionov, etc.
But you guys always have a hungry young team with lots of speed and heart.

I imagine it's frustrating, losing your guys just when they mature.
But you've still got Smith, Smyth, Brewer, Hemsky and a whole slew of guys I love to watch.
I love Oiler hockey. They can't match up with the skill some teams have. But skill ain't everything. If the Wings played with the passion shown by Oilers, we wouldn't have been knocked out of the playoffs in the first or second round, five times in the last six years.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Meanashell11 said:
the replacements will play for the Stanley Cup. The players league could play for the Golden Trough.
:lol

I am not one to call the players greedy, but when I read this, I laughed so hard the dogs started howling along. I can just see the players all lined up drinking champagne from the Golden Trough...

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
We Shall see.
Chris Chelios has told Detroit media that the PA has talked about a 6-10 league starting next season. Players not in Europe could play here.

We shall see.

There are enough arena's currently not in use by the NHL ... Hamilton. Winnipeg etc.

Others have addressed the issues of capital, management issues, start up costs, competition with the NHL operating in the major centres, scabs, etc.

Do you seriously think that the "stars" who are running the PA will start a league in the major centres of Hamilton, Winnipeg (add Saskatoon and Victoria, maybe Halifax?). There is not enough money to be made around this concept to pay their strike pay right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
gb701 said:
Others have addressed the issues of capital, management issues, start up costs, competition with the NHL operating in the major centres, scabs, etc.

Do you seriously think that the "stars" who are running the PA will start a league in the major centres of Hamilton, Winnipeg (add Saskatoon and Victoria, maybe Halifax?). There is not enough money to be made around this concept to pay their strike pay right now.

Does people really think the rink owners are going to sacrafice their AHL/ECHL/Junior teams so fly-by-night transient NHLPA bases teams? Is Manatoba big enough to support the Moose and Transients operating out of the same arena, in direct competition to each other for the same dollars? I wouldn't risk my quality AHL franchise going under for a team designed to disappear in less than 2 years.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
gb701 said:

Gary Bettman put it best for a new league: They’d better have deep pockets

6-10 teams, that is only a 67%-80% cut in players from the current 30 teams(based on 730 players that translates into 489-584 players)

What makes Chelios think he would not be one of the hundreds that would go on the chopping block?

Mountain Dude

Newsguyone said:
Unless the players find/create a new vehicle for hockey fans.

It's a pretty damn easy question for me.

And whose gonna be paying Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

The players fail to realize that the NHL owners are the best way to make a buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->