Edmonton knows where to find their replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
Interesting article from ROBIN BROWNLEE of the Edmonton Sun

The gist of it is there was an anonymous poll conducted and 18 out of 22 players from the RoadRunners said they'd be replacement players for the Oilers (at a salary of $500,000 US) if things ever came to that.

Rocky Thompson is one player who isn't afraid to publicly admit his point of view.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/AHL/2005/02/20/936971-sun.html

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Wow. This is good news for the NHL's future, the Roadrunners are a up-tempo entertaining team

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
If it ever came down to replacement players the first couple of years will be dominated by AHL'ers, fringe NHL'ers, Euro's who lost jobs at expense of NHLers over there and a whole bunch of young prospects

it wouldn't be long before all those players and prospects return the skill level back to normal.. so in essence we dont need today's star players because after several years they will just be remembered as the selfish @sses who stalled the game of hockey

A Good Flying Bird*

chriss_co said:
If it ever came down to replacement players the first couple of years will be dominated by AHL'ers, fringe NHL'ers, Euro's who lost jobs at expense of NHLers over there and a whole bunch of young prospects

it wouldn't be long before all those players and prospects return the skill level back to normal.. so in essence we dont need today's star players because after several years they will just be remembered as the selfish @sses who stalled the game of hockey

Unless the players find/create a new vehicle for hockey fans.

Will I watch the Red Wings, with players like Matt Ellis and other borderline AHLers?

Or would i watch a new team with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.

It's a pretty damn easy question for me.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
bcrt2000 said:
Wow. This is good news for the NHL's future, the Roadrunners are a up-tempo entertaining team
with all due respect i watched some games and the play is just not up to snuff - the ahl has all the offensive talent skimmed off the top leaving a bunch of defensive system afraid to make mistake wanna be's - but i suppose this what bettman is willing to live with for a few years -

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Newsguyone said:

Will I watch the Red Wings, with players like Matt Ellis and other borderline AHLers?

the WHA blew it. anyone with half a brain could have put something together by september 2004, but all those guys weren't hockey people, they just thought they could throw money at something and out would grow a league

but they might be able to do something now that bobby hull has more say

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Newsguyone said:

And where would this new vehicle come from? The WHA?? or some other new league, which would pay less than a 42.5/45 capped NHL..

if thats what the players are holding onto, then they are refusing an offer out of spite

and yes, maybe you would rather watch datsyuk and zetterberg, but what about guys like spezza and crosby.. phaneuf etc who will be coming into the league?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Newsguyone said:

You won't have that option. The players lack the capital, infrastructure and other resources to starrt their own league. And no savvy businessmen are going to create a startup, player friendly league given the experience of NHL owners over the past decade. If the NHL, with established fan bases, recognizable teams and tradition, can lose $228 million over the past three years (per Forbes), why would a new league expect to do better?

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
You won't have that option. The players lack the capital, infrastructure and other resources to starrt their own league. And no savvy businessmen are going to create a startup, player friendly league given the experience of NHL owners over the past decade. If the NHL, with established fan bases, recognizable teams and tradition, can lose $228 million over the past three years (per Forbes), why would a new league expect to do better?

We Shall see.
Chris Chelios has told Detroit media that the PA has talked about a 6-10 league starting next season. Players not in Europe could play here.

We shall see.

There are enough arena's currently not in use by the NHL ... Hamilton. Winnipeg etc.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

Because salaries would have to be lower... oh wait, the nhl tried that and the palyers wouldnt budge. When its their own money underwriting the risk of a new league the players will sing a different song. By the way, the replacements will play for the Stanley Cup. The players league could play for the Golden Trough.
:lol

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Newsguyone said:
We Shall see.
Chris Chelios has told Detroit media that the PA has talked about a 6-10 league starting next season. Players not in Europe could play here.

We shall see.

There are enough arena's currently not in use by the NHL ... Hamilton. Winnipeg etc.

Good God, if a league is relying on the wisdom of Chris Chelios, it's pretty much doomed from the get-go. ;)

Seriously, where is the startup money for this league going to come from? Stadiums are going to demand money up front. Uniforms and equipment costs money. Coaches and administrative staffs cost money. Officials cost money. Lawyers to create a league charter, sign the players to contracts, negotiate stadium, concession and merchandise deals cost money. Marketing costs money.
After losing out on $1.2 billion this year, how many players are going to be willing to invest hundreds of millions more in this? Especially when, at best, it will employ less than a third of the PA and there's certainly nothing close to a guarantee they'll even break even.

And it's all based on a concept (hope, is more like it) that people will flock to see it - paying substantial ticket prices for the privilege - despite the fact the majority of hockey fans a) hold the players responsible for the labor situation and b) would rather see NHL hockey.

Explain how the players would overcome all these obstacles.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Good God, if a league is relying on the wisdom of Chris Chelios, it's pretty much doomed from the get-go. ;)

Seriously, where is the startup money for this league going to come from? Stadiums are going to demand money up front. Uniforms and equipment costs money. Coaches and administrative staffs cost money. Officials cost money. Lawyers to create a league charter, sign the players to contracts, negotiate stadium, concession and merchandise deals cost money. Marketing costs money.
After losing out on $1.2 billion this year, how many players are going to be willing to invest hundreds of millions more in this? Especially when, at best, it will employ less than a third of the PA and there's certainly nothing close to a guarantee they'll even break even.

And it's all based on a concept (hope, is more like it) that people will flock to see it - paying substantial ticket prices for the privilege - despite the fact the majority of hockey fans a) hold the players responsible for the labor situation and b) would rather see NHL hockey.

Explain how the players would overcome all these obstacles.

And I guess many people would follow a league that could fold anyday if there was to be an agreement between the NHLPA and the NHL.

That's beside the point though. I would love to see the PA try this as it would break the union once and for all. Can you see how all the players that can't be part of that "league" would say F this?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
OilerFan4Life said:
WTF? Torres and Stoll weren't even in the line-up last night. So there werent any regular NHLers. hmmmmmmmm.....I wonder who those 4 union lovers are. :huh:
Well they voted prior to the game vs the Moose and Stoll and Torres didn't even make the trip.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
NYFAN said:
If the owners are bargaining in good faith, why was that poll even conducted .

Probably because they can't control the media.

As a side note, it's one thing to have a poll that promises you are not named, quite another to cross the line. Someone should get hold of these guys and tell them a few things that have happened to guys like Damian Miller.

If you're a legit NHL prospect, then shut up and wait it out.

Perhaps that number (18/22) IS a reflection of the Oilers prospects who are legit. :lol

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
OilerFan4Life said:
A journalist, trying to be creative. Obviously you New Yorkers wouldn't know about creative journalism, as all you get are jackass's like Brooks.
Brooks can be a jerk in his slanted way. I think that journalist was very irresponsible to report something like that now, it doesn't do anything to improve the situation, unless you are pro owner!

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
NYFAN said:
Brooks can be a jerk in his slanted way. I think that journalist was very irresponsible to report something like that now, it doesn't do anything to improve the situation, unless you are pro owner!

or unless we're pro hockey?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
NYFAN said:
If you want to pay NHL prices for AHL product, that's your business. As for me, I'll just go to an AHL game.

Great, but if AHL players are in the NHL, you're going to see ECHL product at AHL games. :p:

People just want to see hockey being played, best caliber available.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Newsguyone said:

Actually if you are a fan of the Oilers this is no different than what they have been doing for years. I wanted to put a Oiler name on the back of my Jersey and found that no player stayed long enough. I guess if you are in Detroit it is a different situation but for Oilers fan they have already been doing this for years.

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
Agree with NYFAN

Agree wholeheartedly! Would you pay double or triple ticket prices so they would be called the Oilers as oppossed to the Roadrunners. What would be in the owners best interest would be to really stick it to the perhaps defunct (by that time) NHLPA and not charge over the present Roadrunners gate prices. Which then raises the next question, how much money would it take for AHL players to jump ship into the replacement player NHL? Boy, everything sure has its price doesn't it!

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Smail said:
Great, but if AHL players are in the NHL, you're going to see ECHL product at AHL games. :p:

People just want to see hockey being played, best caliber available.
Sorry dude, I'm not watching AHL talent at the NHL level, and at no significant discount from previous NHL seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad