Speculation: Edmonton Goalie Issues

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Who has a top 4 shutdown defenseman available? I firmly believe that Edmonton would look much better if they didn't have so many defensmeb playing above where they should be by one spot. Need a reliable top 4 partner for Nurse so they can bump Ceci to the bottom pair

Nurse - New guy
Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci

Get a true #1 D and that is a great D core honestly.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's not time to consider that unless Drai tells us he's not signing and even then, that trade happens next year. Trading McDavid's "Ride or Die" for whatever the return is would be quickest way to guarantee McDavid doesn't stay.

You’d think continuing to lose for the same reason over and over would be the quickest way to guarantee McDavid doesn’t stay. You really think if you trade Drai for D/G help and make it to the cup finals McD is more likely to leave than if you keep the status quo and get swept 2nd round again?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
dont thinks StL fans consider that enuf for Para
even w/?-able back

Would prefer 8 yrs of Sanderson locked in, +, but
perhaps it is time to consider something around
Shesty
for
Drai

yeah, flame away
but Vez quality return is not available for cheap/reasonable
Guys who can hit the 50 G 50 A club.... don't get traded for a goalie. Period.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021
Bring back Mike Smith #OilersCup2024

800px-Mike_Smith_in_Calgary_Stampede_Parade_%2843226870552%29.jpg

Reactions: Steve253

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Campbell was good against Nashville but both goalies were brutal against Vancouver. That being said, this team can be broken down by strong forechecking. Vegas proved that in the playoffs and every other team will be playing us the way they did this season. Even the Preds had us looking terrible in our own end at times. The Oilers are not an easy team to play goal for is what I am saying.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Campbell was good against Nashville but both goalies were brutal against Vancouver. That being said, this team can be broken down by strong forechecking. Vegas proved that in the playoffs and every other team will be playing us the way they did this season. Even the Preds had us looking terrible in our own end at times. The Oilers are not an easy team to play goal for is what I am saying.

This is factually correct, but for me, I'd take a Grant Fuhr type goalie instead of dreaming of a Roy/Hasek type. In that, you can let in 5 goals, but you have to make that one save which turns into a back breaker.

Second game against the Canucks it was the Lafferty goal, against the Flyers, it was the short handed goal. Not expecting a goalie to come here and put up a .950 SV%, just make the save in the moment that's needed.

When it was Smith/Koski, they were letting in the first shot. With Skinner/Campbell, they let in a goal in a crucial moment. To me, that comes down to coaching and not having your goalies ready for the moment.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers need to be better defensively but unfortunately as good as Campbell played against Nashville the game was a blowout, not a lot of pressure to come up with big saves. I find that the only time Campbell seems to play good is when the game is not really on the line. He has rarely shown he can lock it down or make a big save at a crucial times in tighter games. The Oilers were very flat against Philadelphia last night but they really needed the save on that shorthanded goal. That is what you need from a starter. The problem with the Oilers is every defensive mistake they make gets magnified because their goalies rarely make big saves at key times. You don't really focus on the defensive mistakes when the team doesn't score, but you always remember the ones that end up in goals. A lot of times the teams the Oilers play against are as bad or worse defensively against the Oilers as the Oilers are against them but the difference is their goalie makes saves and the Oilers goalies do not. There is no excuse for some of the defensive mistakes the Oilers make but their goalies definitely need to be better as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad