Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I always enjoyed his commentary.

Obviously, as an offensive lineman he knew a lot about blocking schemes and you always learned something from his analysis. Unlike so many of the talking heads on the tube today he wasn't a political hire and he knew his stuff.

What else can you say?--life is too short.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What a terrible time in the CFL for a heart and soul guy like this to pass away. I know a lot of us had been wondering where he was when CFL football was last played. One of the best commentators, any sport, and its rare for me to find one that is worth listening to in present day. Chris Schultz was the best. RIP.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'll always wonder why such a good analyst suddenly disappeared from the airwaves but I imagine it was a money issue. They could have saved some coin on other guys they have subsequently hired.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RIP Chris Schultz far too young. He was such a great commentator and advocate of Canadian Football. Insightful in his commentary and seemed like a gentle giant. Huge loss for his family and in his work to promote the CFL. Rest In Peace.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'll always wonder why such a good analyst suddenly disappeared from the airwaves but I imagine it was a money issue. They could have saved some coin on other guys they have subsequently had.
What was weird about it was that there was no mention of his leaving anywhere. You see stories or releases everywhere about people leaving tv jobs all the time, whether they quit, get fired or laid off but nothing about him. I even saw threads about that specifically on other forums. Was like he just vanished.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Really sad news to hear as the same day as Walter Gretzky. I'm in agreement with others it's so bizarre that he just disappeared from the TSN broadcasts there but he seemed to be a standup individual. Loved his CFL commentary always and his NFL picks kept me from at least being in the bottom of many a pool. Rest in peace, Schultzy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What was weird about it was that there was no mention of his leaving anywhere. You see stories or releases everywhere about people leaving tv jobs all the time, whether they quit, get fired or laid off but nothing about him. I even saw threads about that specifically on other forums. Was like he just vanished.

Yes, a very strange story because as you say, when talking heads (even bad ones) leave the job there is usually some sort of departure narrative-- mind you this is Canadian-- not American t.v ---so it tends to be quieter.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It is very sad news. Schultz was great, and I was always hoping he would return to the panel or at least do his Risky Business segment on SportsCentre again.

Just did some looking around and found a post from 2016 saying a TSN radio employee said Schultz had taken a leave of absence for a personal matter. The rumour when he first disappeared in August 2016 was because his father had died a month or two prior.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Well, it turns out he didn't just disappear. He left TSN in 2018 and became the radio colour commentator for Argos games.

Behind the Double Blue: Chris Schultz - Toronto Argonauts

Weird how under the radar this was.

His radio partner, Mike Hogan, posted this today:

Hogan: I miss you already Big Man - Toronto Argonauts
We last spoke seven days before he passed away. He was asking about some of the recent Argos player moves, talked about some common friends, how good he had been feeling of late, and he also was talking about a project he was about to start, doing some sort of podcast with a friend.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Really surprised how his passing seems to have affected so many people. But very pleased that he influenced so many of us, and we all have so many good memories of someone that now, in death, seems larger than life.
RIP big fella.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Braying Elks would be even better. If we have to change our name we should become the most annoying fans in the league. Bring elk callers to games and turn it into 3 hours of torture.

Good idea--let's give all the wokesters royal sh*t but of course the wokesters don't come to CFL games or watch it on t.v. because they've already moved on to Speedy Gonzalez and Peppe LePew. The Cat in the Hat and Winnie the Pooh will be next.

I'm not sure how many Eskimo fans will be at the games either.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Good idea--let's give all the wokesters royal sh*t but of course the wokesters don't come to CFL games or watch it on t.v. because they've already moved on to Speedy Gonzalez and Peppe LePew. The Cat in the Hat and Winnie the Pooh will be next.

I'm not sure how many Eskimo fans will be at the games either.

since they seem to hate rhymes, rap music is next

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
"CFL fans should brace themselves for a wave of change"

Here's the headline on TSN.ca right now. I wonder if the CFL is bracing themselves to lose their entire older generation of fans going this direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->