Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Or don't buy any of their merchandise, old or new(whatever that will be). Purchasing nothing would send a strong message that fans don't approve of what they did.

Yeah, I’m not interested in giving them a dollar.

I was thinking about phoning around to local retailers to see if they are having similar sale of eskimos merch. That way I won’t be giving the organization any money as they would of made their money regardless on that stuff and I’d be only helping local retailers who are probably having a tough time right now.

Then that got me wondering if the organization has any sort of deal with retailers to buy back any and all eskimos merchandise that’s now basically worthless to the retailer. I mean if I was a retailer and I carried tons of stock from a local franchise that on the drop of a hat changed their name and made all that product worthless Id be pretty pissed and looking to return everything for a full refund or looking into my options for legal action against the team.

I’m assuming the team is offering some sort of buy back program for whatever retailers have remaining but knowing them they’re probably going the piece of shit route and saying it’s not their problem.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Every CFLer is taking a cut this year. Perhaps, he just wanted to be somewhere familiar where he's had some success.

There' paycuts and then there are PAYCUTS. I think he had a pretty hefty contract from the Argos, and I doubt we could fit anything in the vicinity of it into our payroll. The players with the largest contracts are going to get hit the most, I would think.

Reactions: bone

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There' paycuts and then there are PAYCUTS. I think he had a pretty hefty contract from the Argos, and I doubt we could fit anything in the vicinity of it into our payroll. The players with the largest contracts are going to get hit the most, I would think.
Wasn't he damn near the highest paid player outside of qb's?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That would be my interpretation.

I believe I read somewhere that he if he came back to the CFL it wouldn't be with the Esks.

Any fire in that smoke? Seems like he had some issue here? Odd given the Ottawa connections here.

Not sure how great Walker will be back here. He's going to be 30 when football is next played and we haven't seen what he looks like for a long time. He has been injured 3 consecutive seasons prior to the cancelled season.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not sure how up to date the Eskimo roster is on their website but it looks like the Defensive line is definitely the strength of the team.

At tackles you have imports Moore, Sewell and Cesna plus Canadians Betts and Charles. Boateng returns as the best Canadian defensive end in the league.

At linebacker the only "name" left is Diggs and at defensive back the only recognizable handle is Rose. Orange is long gone? and so are the high profile linebackers that were signed 2 years ago.

Solid up front but in behind those guys it looks pretty shaky mind you I imagine most teams in the league now have a long list of guys that nobody has heard of.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not sure how up to date the Eskimo roster is on their website but it looks like the Defensive line is definitely the strength of the team.

At tackles you have imports Moore, Sewell and Cesna plus Canadians Betts and Charles. Boateng returns as the best Canadian defensive end in the league.

At linebacker the only "name" left is Diggs and at defensive back the only recognizable handle is Rose. Orange is long gone? and so are the high profile linebackers that were signed 2 years ago.

Solid up front but in behind those guys it looks pretty shaky mind you I imagine most teams in the league now have a long list of guys that nobody has heard of.

It's going to be interesting to see how some guys play after a year off. I suspect there's going to be a few familiar faces on each team who are going to quickly become irrelevant and perhaps a few guys who play longer because of it. It's going to be an unpredictable season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't they promise to have a friggen name by now? Its 2021 and we're still "The Edmonton Football club"

Man, I can just imagine what its like being a prospective player sitting on the coach and somebody from "The Edmonton Football Club" is calling you to suss out interests.

How many would put down the phone never having heard that name before and think it was a crank call. heh.

Kidding, but its so amateur hour to not have a name by now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's going to be interesting to see how some guys play after a year off. I suspect there's going to be a few familiar faces on each team who are going to quickly become irrelevant and perhaps a few guys who play longer because of it. It's going to be an unpredictable season.

Yes, my thoughts too because when you are North of 30 and you haven't been playing football for 18 months then its a lot tougher to come back compared to someone who is 23 or 24.

I agree that there will be a lot of familiar names around the league who will be exiting-- assuming that there is a 2021 season.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
What if the Eskimos called themselves the Trappers? They could turn the E into a T or perhaps use the Trapper logo. Maybe they come up with an alternative moniker, like the Habs, and say the second E stands for Explorers or the Double E as a reference to our past name. Idk. I think it's going to be a hard sell no matter what but maybe invoking that nostalgia would be a safe way to go. I was just thinking perhaps appealing to our sporting history might make a new name more palatable. The Eskimos did own the Trappers after all, and perhaps still own the trademarks, and I think everybody likes the name so what do others think? Keep in mind the Eskimos aren't coming back so there's no point beating that dead horse.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Didn't they promise to have a friggen name by now? Its 2021 and we're still "The Edmonton Football club"

Man, I can just imagine what its like being a prospective player sitting on the coach and somebody from "The Edmonton Football Club" is calling you to suss out interests.

How many would put down the phone never having heard that name before and think it was a crank call. heh.

Kidding, but its so amateur hour to not have a name by now.

Heard the other day that they are planning to announce it in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad