Edmonton Football Team 2020 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I'm a longtime season ticket holder who, while not sure the name change was really necessary, wants there to continue to be a pro football team to go watch in my home city. The choice with which I've been left is to either take my ticket $$$ & loyalty elsewhere (effectively cutting off my nose to spite my face as an Edmonton football fan) or to stop getting sucked into the ineffectual political bitching/bickering/blaming/posturing and instead come up with a non-jokey suggestion for a new team name that can be marketed to both us old(ish) die-hards and to badly needed younger fans as well.

I think that they should keep the green & gold colours, the EE lettering on a newly shaped (non-oval) logo and call themselves the Edmonton Express. The powerful & speedy train aspect should be strongly emphasized, as should getting aboard and enjoying the fast ride. They could hand out mini train whistles to fans at the first home game (that sound nothing like ref's whistles), switching back & forth as time goes on within the marketing plan between modern bullet trains and old-timey locomotives. The time has come for our CFL team and its remaining & new fans to embrace the train- just not physically.

Last edited:
Reactions: MixMasterMoose

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Edmonton Elkimos. Sure its not a real word and means nothing, neither do the twitter screeching weirdos. They accomplish nothing in life but whine until everyone is as miserable as them. They tell us not to focus on race while all they do is focus on skin color 24/7. They tell us to be tolerant while telling people that disagree that they need to be locked up or sent away to some kind of camp for not being woke enough. They are a scary bunch of individuals i hope never gain power and influence otherwise we are in some real trouble in the future.

Maybe the Zoomers can save us from the insanity, they seem to not have jumped aboard the crazy train yet.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
The Edmonton Elkimos. Sure its not a real word and means nothing, neither do the twitter screeching weirdos. They accomplish nothing in life but whine until everyone is as miserable as them. They tell us not to focus on race while all they do is focus on skin color 24/7. They tell us to be tolerant while telling people that disagree that they need to be locked up or sent away to some kind of camp for not being woke enough. They are a scary bunch of individuals i hope never gain power and influence otherwise we are in some real trouble in the future.

Maybe the Zoomers can save us from the insanity, they seem to not have jumped aboard the crazy train yet.
It took awhile, but it's good to see that you're on board the Express.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm a longtime season ticket holder who, while not sure the name change was really necessary, wants there to continue to be a pro football team to go watch in my home city. The choice with which I've been left is to either take my ticket $$$ & loyalty elsewhere (effectively cutting off my nose to spite my face as an Edmonton football fan) or to stop getting sucked into the ineffectual political bitching/bickering/blaming/posturing and instead come up with a non-jokey suggestion for a new team name that can be marketed to both us old(ish) die-hards and to badly needed younger fans as well.

I think that they should keep the green & gold colours, the EE lettering on a newly shaped (non-oval) logo and call themselves the Edmonton Express. The powerful & speedy train aspect should be strongly emphasized, as should getting aboard and enjoying the fast ride. They could hand out mini train whistles to fans at the first home game (that sound nothing like ref's whistles), switching back & forth as time goes on within the marketing plan between modern bullet trains and old-timey locomotives. The time has come for our CFL team and its remaining & new fans to embrace the train- just not physically.
I've heard worse. Not bad, throw it in the hat.

Reactions: abootzky

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I like your reasoning and although I don't like "Express" as much as "Huskies" I do think that the railroad has been all important in terms of developing Northern Alberta so it does fit with the history and obviously being able to keep the EE handle is significant.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I did my best to keep an open mind when it happened. Thought "Empire" or maybe "Esks/Eskies" was a compromise that I wasn't fond of, but could live with as there was at least some connection to the old name and history. However, it seems that these names have also been comically deemed too risky and now we are talking about garbage like Elks, Energy, etc. as if it were a contest to come up with the most bush league mid-90's nickname for a team possible. Now there are rumblings about a logo change, which would be suicide for them in my opinion.

Coming into Grey Cup week the team would post clips from past Grey Cup wins and use "EE Football Team" rather than "Eskimos" in the context of "The EE Football Team took home the prize in '93!" It could not feel more Orwellian. The EE Football Team did not exist in '93, just like how Eskimos doesn't exist going forward. As if changing the name was not enough, now they need to white wash the history of the team because a sponsor pulled out. It's just too much.

I take it you watched some of TSN's Grey Cup week stuff last week? It really was a sad spectacle when they insisted on referring to the 1981 Eskimos as the 1981 Edmonton football team.

So for all the people that were saying "oh don't worry, there will be a new name but it doesn't erase all the history and tradition", it appears you were incorrect. Any and all reference to Eskimos is already getting scrubbed out of existence, memory-holed.

Will people wearing shirts or jerseys with the Eskimos name even be allowed into the stadium? I have my doubts.

On a positive note, I do think it was a good idea for the CFL and TSN to make a big deal out of Grey Cup week. At least gets the league back in the news for a couple weeks, and the general vibe actually seemed pretty positive about the league's viability going forward. It sounded like they were prepared to have a season in the Winnipeg bubble even after the feds told them they weren't getting any money, but a couple teams (I think we can safely assume Montreal and maybe Toronto) still declined to participate and it killed the season. I'd guess that CBA/PA legalities ultimately prevented the possibility of playing a season with fewer teams even if some were willing.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I take it you watched some of TSN's Grey Cup week stuff last week? It really was a sad spectacle when they insisted on referring to the 1981 Eskimos as the 1981 Edmonton football team.

So for all the people that were saying "oh don't worry, there will be a new name but it doesn't erase all the history and tradition", it appears you were incorrect. Any and all reference to Eskimos is already getting scrubbed out of existence, memory-holed.

Will people wearing shirts or jerseys with the Eskimos name even be allowed into the stadium? I have my doubts.

On a positive note, I do think it was a good idea for the CFL and TSN to make a big deal out of Grey Cup week. At least gets the league back in the news for a couple weeks, and the general vibe actually seemed pretty positive about the league's viability going forward. It sounded like they were prepared to have a season in the Winnipeg bubble even after the feds told them they weren't getting any money, but a couple teams (I think we can safely assume Montreal and maybe Toronto) still declined to participate and it killed the season. I'd guess that CBA/PA legalities ultimately prevented the possibility of playing a season with fewer teams even if some were willing.

They don't call it "cancel" culture for nothing.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The dynamic is simple. A community org, that is supposed to be community run, (I can;t emphasize this enough) somehow went off the farm hiring Chris Presson, who knows nothing about Edmonton, Edmontonians, beliefs, and probably couldn't find Edmonon on a map before hire, or if he tried to drive here.

I mean its flabbergasting that a Community org would look so far for the CEO candidate. This immensely disrespects the community, and creates an immediate disconnect with community. The same CEO flubs the name change brutally, then flubs the Mandrusiak tenured.

These are the kinds of decisions when an airlifted in CEO is hired to run a community org.

I mean what would your reaction be if your local community league hired in a president from Oklahoma to run your community league. Would that make sense. Would the person know the community, the issues the strengths. What would be the purpose of an outside hire?

The entire board, along with Presson should be relieved of their duties and effect a return to normal, and respecting the Edmonton community, the Edmonton name, the team name either.

So not only do we get some doofus from Oklahoma heading our cherished ESKIMOS football team. We got him making a complete and utter mess of it.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Express is not a bad suggestion. Makes me think of the USFL LA Express team (which Hugh Campbell coached), but most younger people won't know that team though.

I initially didn't mind Elks as I like teams named after animals. The imagery of antlers, a fierce animal creates good opportunities for marketing and mascots. Team colours match the wildlife theme. Maybe a camo third jersey in the future would be interesting. It has ties to the local culture and geographic area. However, I fear that Elks is too close to Esks and there may be too many who see Elks as a boring name.

Express has good marketing opportunities also. However, it's also kinda boring. Not sure a train mascot is very exciting, and there are lots of football teams names Express. A quick google search will reveal dozens of logos, so in that regard, it is not very unique but does offer plenty of logo options. For me it's also "just okay".

Trying to stay with an E beginning name is very limiting, but I would not want to se the EE logo go away also.

First choice would be Elks, second Express. Haven't heard anything else that is better than those.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The dynamic is simple. A community org, that is supposed to be community run, (I can;t emphasize this enough) somehow went off the farm hiring Chris Presson, who knows nothing about Edmonton, Edmontonians, beliefs, and probably couldn't find Edmonon on a map before hire, or if he tried to drive here.

I mean its flabbergasting that a Community org would look so far for the CEO candidate. This immensely disrespects the community, and creates an immediate disconnect with community. The same CEO flubs the name change brutally, then flubs the Mandrusiak tenured.

These are the kinds of decisions when an airlifted in CEO is hired to run a community org.

I mean what would your reaction be if your local community league hired in a president from Oklahoma to run your community league. Would that make sense. Would the person know the community, the issues the strengths. What would be the purpose of an outside hire?

The entire board, along with Presson should be relieved of their duties and effect a return to normal, and respecting the Edmonton community, the Edmonton name, the team name either.

So not only do we get some doofus from Oklahoma heading our cherished ESKIMOS football team. We got him making a complete and utter mess of it.

Do we know if anybody qualified with Edmonton roots actually applied? If so, I agree, but I don't know the pool they were drawing from.

I was okay with everything from Presson up until the name change. I even had some email exchanges with him about my account and though I didn't feel he needed to get involved I appreciated that he's trying to get into the details to right the ship. For the name change, that was in play long before he came along and I'm not sure it's not just the board finally capitulating instead of him, so I'm giving him a cautious pass on that one.

Mandrusiak handling was unacceptable and smells of a lot of the stench of actions by Sutherland so far (who I'm pretty much done with for trust as there just to many rumblings of ill content coming from past players and staff to say there's nothing to it), but ultimately I put that one on Presson for not foreseeing the backlash and getting in front of it.

The board on the other hand is ultimately responsible for all the terrible shit that has happened to this organization since Hugh finally had enough. So they need to get their shit together. I know it's different people throughout that time but they have to fix their priorities that's for sure.

So right now, for me the jury is still out on Presson and I want him to succeed because ultimately I want the team to succeed, but I am completely fed up of the board messing things up over and over again and if Presson turns out to be a dud, it's just another mistake by a poorly run group.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Do we know if anybody qualified with Edmonton roots actually applied? If so, I agree, but I don't know the pool they were drawing from.

I was okay with everything from Presson up until the name change. I even had some email exchanges with him about my account and though I didn't feel he needed to get involved I appreciated that he's trying to get into the details to right the ship. For the name change, that was in play long before he came along and I'm not sure it's not just the board finally capitulating instead of him, so I'm giving him a cautious pass on that one.

Mandrusiak handling was unacceptable and smells of a lot of the stench of actions by Sutherland so far (who I'm pretty much done with for trust as there just to many rumblings of ill content coming from past players and staff to say there's nothing to it), but ultimately I put that one on Presson for not foreseeing the backlash and getting in front of it.

The board on the other hand is ultimately responsible for all the terrible shit that has happened to this organization since Hugh finally had enough. So they need to get their shit together. I know it's different people throughout that time but they have to fix their priorities that's for sure.

So right now, for me the jury is still out on Presson and I want him to succeed because ultimately I want the team to succeed, but I am completely fed up of the board messing things up over and over again and if Presson turns out to be a dud, it's just another mistake by a poorly run group.

Thanks to me miss phrasing some of my position, and you taking it a bit differently than what I intended, I agree with most of the above. I mean the reactive side of me can't stand Presson because he's the one that was CEO for all this. But my dynamic observation, that I tried to convey, is that the board is responsible for such a out of jurisdiction hired gun. It doesn't make sense to go out of province for this kind of hire, for a community org. I even stated the board should be fired for it, along with Presson, who never should have been here.

You know my feelings on Sutherland. Don't like his record or actions either. Or his defence of Maas.

Reactions: bone

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Express is not a bad suggestion. Makes me think of the USFL LA Express team (which Hugh Campbell coached), but most younger people won't know that team though.

I initially didn't mind Elks as I like teams named after animals. The imagery of antlers, a fierce animal creates good opportunities for marketing and mascots. Team colours match the wildlife theme. Maybe a camo third jersey in the future would be interesting. It has ties to the local culture and geographic area. However, I fear that Elks is too close to Esks and there may be too many who see Elks as a boring name.

Express has good marketing opportunities also. However, it's also kinda boring. Not sure a train mascot is very exciting, and there are lots of football teams names Express. A quick google search will reveal dozens of logos, so in that regard, it is not very unique but does offer plenty of logo options. For me it's also "just okay".

Trying to stay with an E beginning name is very limiting, but I would not want to se the EE logo go away also.

First choice would be Elks, second Express. Haven't heard anything else that is better than those.

MV5BMTQ0MzAzNTM1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM3MjEyMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The kids would lap it up!!:D

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'm not big on the express name. Also kind of unintendedly funny with Donnybrook lowering speed limits all over the freaking city to 30k, to 40k, which even severely impacts times of bus routes, and express routes as they tool down roads as slowly as possible having to gear down just to keep to speed limits..

I mean the name almost pisses me off in that context. We can't have anything express here, but we can have a football team, oh....

If they were gonna do something like this do it in consort with a high speed regular train link to Jasper (more than 2-3X week) or a rethink of quick speed link up with Calgary.

Or make it a complete no name on sale clusterf*** and call them Edmonton Exposition, and align with the latest name of the City summer fare, and bring back female streakers. Guy can dream big..

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

So wrt players, what is their basic gripe with Sunderland?

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not big on the express name. Also kind of unintendedly funny with Donnybrook lowering speed limits all over the freaking city to 30k, to 40k, which even severely impacts times of bus routes, and express routes as they tool down roads as slowly as possible having to gear down just to keep to speed limits..

I mean the name almost pisses me off in that context. We can't have anything express here, but we can have a football team, oh....

If they were gonna do something like this do it in consort with a high speed regular train link to Jasper (more than 2-3X week) or a rethink of quick speed link up with Calgary.

Or make it a complete no name on sale clusterf*** and call them Edmonton Exposition, and align with the latest name of the City summer fare, and bring back female streakers. Guy can dream big..
You can really open it up and speed with your bicycle if you like, though. Just fly by all those cars stuck in road snow drift in the middle of January!

How about the Edmonton E-cycles? Donny Boy would love that.

Reactions: Yeah15

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You can really open it up and speed with your bicycle if you like, though. Just fly by all those cars stuck in road snow drift in the middle of January!

You know we're paying 2M for new signage, all over the city, just as some kind of weird zero harm attempt by the city, (which will never get to zero) and Donny retiring, and I sense that will be swing council in next election and more fiscal reality oriented. First thing they'll do is be cancelling all that signage and returning speed limits to what they were. hopefully the city is real slow on changing out all the speed limit signs. Silly hall.

Agree with you and others this was very much a Donnybrook supported name change and he doesn't care about football even enough to appear at the grey cup opening Ceremony.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Interested in hearing this as well but if I had to guess its Sunderlands support of Maas player favoritism and pretty randomly going at some players in anger, and those players suddenly finding themselves in hell. I mean for some warranted, but Maas too much of a hothead, and Sunderland supporting him all the way. I think player input was declining under Maas.

What player could be here long and not see serious flaws in Maas thought process as well as play calls, game planning.

With fairness to Sunderland though its hard when you have connection with Maas from Ottawa, then come here. Its a dynamically difficult position for Sunderland even if inside he was disagreeing with Maas somewhat. Its that classic situation where one guy helps another guy get a job. You can't really go against either, and sometimes it sinks both.

McT and Lowe were like that too, and had even a stated pact where if one was employed, the other would be too. It ties your hand to somebody that might be going bad.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You know we're paying 2M for new signage, all over the city, just as some kind of weird zero harm attempt by the city, (which will never get to zero) and Donny retiring, and I sense that will be swing council in next election and more fiscal reality oriented. First thing they'll do is be cancelling all that signage and returning speed limits to what they were. hopefully the city is real slow on changing out all the speed limit signs. Silly hall.

Agree with you and others this was very much a Donnybrook supported name change and he doesn't care about football even enough to appear at the grey cup opening Ceremony.
I don't think he thought up changing the name, it was all good by him before, not a peep. But man, did he ever jump aboard the snowflake train when it gained steam, along with some twit sports writers.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't think he thought up changing the name, it was all good by him before, not a peep. But man, did he ever jump aboard the snowflake train when it gained steam, along with some twit sports writers.

We won't know until the name Edmonton Donnybees is announced.

Another *worldclass* legacy project

yes I'm jk

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I wonder if this will happen in Edmonton or somewhere in Alberta some day

Reactions: Daryls Nose

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I don't have any specific intel per se, it's just the general rumblings that seem to be picking up, whether it be Sewell spouting off when previously he was a model teammate, or general malcontent from players when leaving the team. Naturally those players aren't going to be happy, but they seem to be just a little more vocal lately about it.

Unfortunately, I can't give any real specific examples, just things like on the esks board where there's been a lot a rumbling about Sunderland being especially slimy about how he goes about dealing with players and staff. I've tried to minimize it and try to focus on results, which haven't been that great either, but there seems to be a little too much smoke for there not to be something to the story.

Because Drivesaitl spoke up suggesting the malcontent with Sunderland could be related to Maas, I've only heard rumblings of the opposite and that the players loved Maas even if he went a little overboard at times. At most there may have been doubt from the players that he could get them to the promised land, but it sounds like most the players respected him.

I also don't get the impression Sunderland was as committed to Maas as it would have appeared with the tampering rumors that seemed to be supported by several that he was snooping around other teams coaching staff while Maas was still around. I think he wanted to move on from Maas a year earlier than he did, but either the board or exit interviews with the players convinced him to give Maas one more chance or even that the snooping he did wasn't enough to convince him someone different would actually be better.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't have any specific intel per se, it's just the general rumblings that seem to be picking up, whether it be Sewell spouting off when previously he was a model teammate, or general malcontent from players when leaving the team. Naturally those players aren't going to be happy, but they seem to be just a little more vocal lately about it.

Unfortunately, I can't give any real specific examples, just things like on the esks board where there's been a lot a rumbling about Sunderland being especially slimy about how he goes about dealing with players and staff. I've tried to minimize it and try to focus on results, which haven't been that great either, but there seems to be a little too much smoke for there not to be something to the story.

Because Drivesaitl spoke up suggesting the malcontent with Sunderland could be related to Maas, I've only heard rumblings of the opposite and that the players loved Maas even if he went a little overboard at times. At most there may have been doubt from the players that he could get them to the promised land, but it sounds like most the players respected him.

I don't doubt what you say, I think Sunderland can be a little bit acidic at times but wrt the "Eskimo Board" there has always been a love affair with Ed Hervey and I think that taints the perspective a little bit.

As for the players love for Maas I would question the logic of that affection. He might be a nice guy off the field but if they can't see what's wrong with the guy as a head coach then I wonder if that doesn't underline some of the performance issues (especially on-field discipline) that we have seen over the last few years.

I think that Maas managed to divide the EE dressing room in the same way that Higgins did. Stick to football.

Well, when the smoke clears here I wonder who will exit from EE management? My guess is that there will be some major changes. One thing for sure, the search for very capable management/coaching people has been a huge challenge for the Eskimos and it has resulted in a long string of bad decisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->