Edmonton Football Team 2020 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Have lost all faith in this organization, so fully expecting a really lame generic name.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, even though it means abandoning the "EE" handle I like the name "Huskies" because they are sleek, beautiful animals that excel in the cold weather when others are trying to stay indoors.

I hate the name change forced upon us by the cry-about-everything SJW's (a new one pops up here every now and then although I suspect its just one person with a number of different handles) but that said its time to move on.

The CFL won't look the same anyway so the name change won't be as hard to swallow in a new era-- if indeed the league can continue at all.

They will always be the "Eskimos" to me but at least in public they will need another handle-- Huskies sounds pretty cool.

Hey, and Iveson is hitting the road too--a great day I say.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well, even though it means abandoning the "EE" handle I like the name "Huskies" because they are sleek, beautiful animals that excel in the cold weather when others are trying to stay indoors.

I hate the name change forced upon us by the SJW's (a new one pops up here every now and then although I suspect its just one person with a number of different handles) but that said its time to move on.

The CFL won't look the same anyway so the name change won't be as hard to swallow in a new era-- if indeed the league can continue at all.

They will always be the "Eskimos" to me but at least in public they will need another handle-- Huskies sounds pretty cool.

I like the name as well if it weren't for the attachment to the EE.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Have lost all faith in this organization, so fully expecting a really lame generic name.

You're right, they will inevitably botch it.

I submitted "Eskies." "Esks" would accomplish the same thing. Not a real word or thing, so can't get offended by it and pays homage to the history. Seems like a compromise that is reasonable.

However I have no hope that a reasonable compromise is possible. It seems that unless they have a total victory the obnoxious minority of twitter warriors that forced this change will not be silent. The fact that "Empire" seems to be unbelievably out of consideration is a pretty strong indicator of this. The name will be something stupid and incredibly safe.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for the input, but I've made suggestions in the past. What is your suggestion?
Just as I thought - a flyby troll loser. Have never him before, and will likely be the last time. Until he does another flyby. Like all the twits that popped out of their wormholes to throw some darts during the name dropping discussion. Only to disappear into infinity. BTW, where is the pickle boy these days?

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just as I thought - a flyby troll loser. Have never him before, and will likely be the last time. Until he does another flyby. Like all the twits that popped out of their wormholes to throw some darts during the name dropping discussion. Only to disappear into infinity. BTW, where is the pickle boy these days?

Probably in a jar.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I hate the name change forced upon us by the cry-about-everything SJW's (a new one pops up here every now and then although I suspect its just one person with a number of different handles) but that said its time to move on.

Hey, and Iveson is hitting the road too--a great day I say.

Huskies is a good football name, but wonder since we already have a Jr team named that if it would cause too many problems. And then of course the people who would freak out due to using the name of 'abused sled dogs'.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I like the name as well if it weren't for the attachment to the EE.

If we got rid of all Eskimo references, mascots, etc, and went with the simple Esks or Eskies, which probably aren't even real words or have generic meaings, would that not fly? Not sure how someone could be upset with those names, if they are taken literally.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If we got rid of all Eskimo references, mascots, etc, and went with the simple Esks or Eskies, which probably aren't even real words or have generic meaings, would that not fly? Not sure how someone could be upset with those names, if they are taken literally.

The problem is that the people we are dealing with are not interested in social justice but instead are determined to have their way and be victorious over others--- thus they will not accept anything which as seen as "partial victory."

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Hopefully, they call them anything but Elks. That has to be the stupidest suggestion I've ever heard.

That is bad, but not as bad as Evergreens. ;). I don’t know how to take this guy seriously. Maybe his previous accounts were better before he got booted off.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
39 posts and the guy joined in July too at the height of all that nonsense. Not too hard to figure out what he’s about.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
After the name change and mandrusiak debacles I’m fully looking forward to watching this organization fail spectacularly.

I can’t say I’m looking forward to it, as they are my team, and I’d rather not witness these screwups, but here we are. The scary part is this is all under new management, so not much faith in the new guy going forward, based on his first year on the job.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can’t say I’m looking forward to it, as they are my team, and I’d rather not witness these screwups, but here we are. The scary part is this is all under new management, so not much faith in the new guy going forward, based on his first year on the job.

Worst part of this whole thing is they needed to wait all of about a week longer (NBA, MLB and NHL were all starting right around the same time) for the news cycle to move on, which it did. You no longer hear a peep about the Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, etc. when everyone was all over them at the same time.

Had they waited a week they would have had time to collect themselves and come up with a coherent response (ie Blackhawks). Instead they lost a sponsor, panicked and now they have damaged their brand, potentially permanently. It's not like the CFL in Edmonton was a hot product to begin with, and now with this they have alienated the people that truly care. I'd also make an assumption that the "EE Football Team" fanbase isn't too fond of overboard political correctness to begin with.

Say what you want about Len Rhoades (and he was bad), but he at least got ahead of this when the winds around this blew up a few years ago. He engaged with Arctic communities and mostly did the right thing. This crew just threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I was happy with the first few months on what I was seeing up until Covid happened. Then the name change came along and it concerned me, but I also realize that despite him being the face of it, it probably was beyond his control once all that traction took hold. So most of what happened in his first year, I don't feel it fair to pin completely on him.

However, the Mandrusiak situation is 100% on him. And for me, it wasn't even about the fact they let him go, just the fact that they didn't foresee what the reaction could be enough to try and get in front of it and manage it. All in all, I'm still in the headspace of there being really only one strike against him provided he steers them through this name change while at least minimizing the damage. It's just a really big strike that's enough to make some potentially minor issue in the near future look like another full on strike instead of a foul tip.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Worst part of this whole thing is they needed to wait all of about a week longer (NBA, MLB and NHL were all starting right around the same time) for the news cycle to move on, which it did. You no longer hear a peep about the Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, etc. when everyone was all over them at the same time.

Had they waited a week they would have had time to collect themselves and come up with a coherent response (ie Blackhawks). Instead they lost a sponsor, panicked and now they have damaged their brand, potentially permanently. It's not like the CFL in Edmonton was a hot product to begin with, and now with this they have alienated the people that truly care. I'd also make an assumption that the "EE Football Team" fanbase isn't too fond of overboard political correctness to begin with.

Say what you want about Len Rhoades (and he was bad), but he at least got ahead of this when the winds around this blew up a few years ago. He engaged with Arctic communities and mostly did the right thing. This crew just threw the baby out with the bathwater.

All the people complaining about the name aren’t buying season tickets, they aren’t going to games or buying merchandise and they aren’t about to start now that the team has changed its name. On the flip side I could see many season ticket holders and supporters turn away from the team because of this and I’m one of them. In regular times it would of been a gamble but likely manageable, in the midst of a pandemic where they’ve now lost a season and teams are in pretty bad financial spots with so much uncertainty, it was a massive miscalculation on the teams part and I’m sure that behind closed doors they are regretting it with how things have unfolded for the league.

Like you said if they would of waited five minutes it would of all blown over. There’s always the next outrage for these groups to move on to, they’ve got the attention span of gnats. Maybe the team loses a sponsor or two but others would of stepped in to take those spots once the news cycle moved on.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
As much as I wish it had all blown over, I don't think it would have.

The worst enemy the football club had in all of this was the super-woke mayor who wouldn't let it rest until he had his way.

For some reason, this holier- than -thou anti Eskimo, anti-oil industry wokester is very popular in Edmonton and he was going to use all of his own influence to get the name changed as part of his political legacy.

Add to that mix the newly awoken Pulitzer prize candidates Gerry Moondoggy and Keith Gyroscope from the Journal (who conveniently piled on to make sure that they were at the front of the line) and you see what the club was up against.

This move signaled to sponsors that the media was firmly on board because after all, the words "Edmonton Eskimos" and "Edmonton Journal" were synonymous for decades so if even the long term allies were too cool for the name then why would relatively new sponsors go along with it.

There is no way that 21st century politics and the soccer moms in Edmonton were going to allow the name to continue.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
All the people complaining about the name aren’t buying season tickets, they aren’t going to games or buying merchandise and they aren’t about to start now that the team has changed its name. On the flip side I could see many season ticket holders and supporters turn away from the team because of this and I’m one of them. In regular times it would of been a gamble but likely manageable, in the midst of a pandemic where they’ve now lost a season and teams are in pretty bad financial spots with so much uncertainty, it was a massive miscalculation on the teams part and I’m sure that behind closed doors they are regretting it with how things have unfolded for the league.

Like you said if they would of waited five minutes it would of all blown over. There’s always the next outrage for these groups to move on to, they’ve got the attention span of gnats. Maybe the team loses a sponsor or two but others would of stepped in to take those spots once the news cycle moved on.

I did my best to keep an open mind when it happened. Thought "Empire" or maybe "Esks/Eskies" was a compromise that I wasn't fond of, but could live with as there was at least some connection to the old name and history. However, it seems that these names have also been comically deemed too risky and now we are talking about garbage like Elks, Energy, etc. as if it were a contest to come up with the most bush league mid-90's nickname for a team possible. Now there are rumblings about a logo change, which would be suicide for them in my opinion.

Coming into Grey Cup week the team would post clips from past Grey Cup wins and use "EE Football Team" rather than "Eskimos" in the context of "The EE Football Team took home the prize in '93!" It could not feel more Orwellian. The EE Football Team did not exist in '93, just like how Eskimos doesn't exist going forward. As if changing the name was not enough, now they need to white wash the history of the team because a sponsor pulled out. It's just too much.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hopefully, they call them anything but Elks. That has to be the stupidest suggestion I've ever heard.

Is that because it would be a new name? Cause I kinda feel like whatever the new name is, it's going to have a stigma to most long time fans, no matter what the choice is.

If the team was called the Elk for a few decades already, the name wouldnt have the stink on it that it would if that's what's chosen.

Honestly I think we could do A LOT worse and IMO has a better chance of people warming up to it then "Empire" ever would.

This all doesn't mean I agree with the name change to begin with, but since we're all crossing this bridge now, I'd be alright with "Edmonton Elk" .

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Is that because it would be a new name? Cause I kinda feel like whatever the new name is, it's going to have a stigma to most long time fans, no matter what the choice is.

If the team was called the Elk for a few decades already, the name wouldnt have the stink on it that it would if that's what's chosen.

Honestly I think we could do A LOT worse and IMO has a better chance of people warming up to it then "Empire" ever would.

This all doesn't mean I agree with the name change to begin with, but since we're all crossing this bridge now, I'd be alright with "Edmonton Elk" .
Sorry, "Elk" is an inside joke. You can pm me and ask if you like.

yamimoto2020

Nov 6, 2020
Edmonton Redskins
The Edmonton Washington Football Team
Edmonton Leafs
The Edmonton Raptors
The Edmonton Eggplants
Edmonton Eunuchs
Edmonton Flames
The Edmonton Ethanols

Reactions: oilers'72
Status