Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton@Florida March 17, 12pm Mountain

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
RNH - McDavid - Strome
Slepyshev - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Khaira - Kassian

Gives McD and Drai some real wingers and puts Lucic in a place to succeed.

PLEASE TODD!

It's strange I always thought you'd have to be a very good coach to make it to the NHL, but throughout almost the whole year I've felt the line suggestions made by the fans make so much more sense than the ones made by TM.

It shouldn't be that difficult to give McD and Drai suitable (as suitable as they get) wingers, put Puljujarvi to a place to succeed and to gain confidence, and then organize the rest to take some pressure off from Lucic and to use the rest according to their strengths.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Todd liked Aberg so little...and likes our other wings so little, he calls up Rattie and right to McDavids line he goes.

Drai getting dropped down the lineup is kind of weird. He had a bad game, get immediately third lined. Lucic hasn't had a good game in months, still gets gravy top 6 lines. I don't forking get it.

Frankly Aberg has done nothing. He's had multiple games of McD now and hardly even a scoring chance. He gets knocked off the puck due to his size, has more trouble making plays in thraffic. I like the talent, but reminiscent of Omark this here NHL is a different kind of game and you have to be able to operate in a phone booth. I'm getting no indication that Aberg is being able to make that adjustment. Usually players on their last NHL outs will at least do everything possible to elevate on the new team. Aberg has what? 1 point. He's not some young tweener either, kid is 24. Ne needs to start showing something.

Not ruling him out, but c'mon, show us some results.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It's strange I always thought you'd have to be a very good coach to make it to the NHL, but throughout almost the whole year I've felt the line suggestions made by the fans make so much more sense than the ones made by TM.

It shouldn't be that difficult to give McD and Drai suitable (as suitable as they get) wingers, put Puljujarvi to a place to succeed and to gain confidence, and then organize the rest to take some pressure off from Lucic and to use the rest according to their strengths.

In pro ranks in NA, and I'm not sure why, grudges, bias, preferential treatment is deemed acceptable. Coaches on this continent are almost invariably stubborn. Even good ones like Cooper had their foils in Drouin, Namestnikov. Cooper went with his AHL guys, that has never been a secret.

On this continent things like obstinance are confused with conviction. As if its a position of merit. This runs far past just coaching and into other realms. (if you get my drift)

Look at the latest. The Oilers obtain Aberg. He gets on the first line despite doing nothing. Rattie, who has shown nothing but looking out of place has exclusively seen either McD or Drai. He doesn't have an NHL caliber shot, nothing. If this isn't indicative of "piss on you" Pulju, Slepy, Pak I don't know what is. Its head scratching stuff, but the worst of it is I think its McLellan loudly shouting out his doghouse gang.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No excuse why you wouldnt give Puljujarvi prime offensive minutes in these meaningless games.
I would give him more ice time than McDavid.

As for Rattie on top line.. he could just be sub'ing in for Aberg at practice and would not play tonight. Not going to bash TMac for that just yet.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No excuse why you wouldnt give Puljujarvi prime offensive minutes in these meaningless games.
I would give him more ice time than McDavid.

As for Rattie on top line.. he could just be sub'ing in for Aberg at practice and would not play tonight. Not going to bash TMac for that just yet.

Was Pontus injured last game? Usually if a player is dinged up we hear about it.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I remember last year we strolled into Florida, they were a hot team, 5 straight wins and looking impressive in each one before we defeated them and more or less sent their season off the rails.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I remember last year we strolled into Florida, they were a hot team, 5 straight wins and looking impressive in each one before we defeated them and more or less sent their season off the rails.

Last year the oil where playing well. This year, COilers gonna COil.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Speaking of Aberg, McLellan said in a brief comment when asked about Aberg that he "missed practice today, and will not play tomorrow"...make of that what you will.

I wonder if he was late for practice or something else? Todd didn't say anything about him being sick or injured.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Who's your Dadonov?

Just give them the two points. Noon start after travelling across the continent, Ty Rattie on the top line, and Florida is on fire.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I love how each new day is a new lineup change. Todd throws wingers in a hat and mixes things up, he doesn't care and why should he.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I wonder if he was late for practice or something else? Todd didn't say anything about him being sick or injured.

It's a possibility. Usually if it's an injury or 'maintenance day' or whatever, McLellan just says that.

McLellan's vagueness, combined with Stauffer saying shortly after on his show "I would suggest to you that this is a missed opportunity for Pontus Aberg", that Aberg screwed up somehow. I imagine we'll find out more details in the next day or two.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

This looks hilarious. lol.

why give McD a head start? This doesnt look like fun.. and half the guys arent even trying.
If anything McDavid should have been at the end trying to catch the rest...

Run away from the Cap'n

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
McLellan's vagueness, combined with Stauffer saying shortly after on his show "I would suggest to you that this is a missed opportunity for Pontus Aberg", that Aberg screwed up somehow.

Maybe something with grammar.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Hopefully Florida wins + McPoints

Don't want the Devils to make the playoffs. I've had enough of their fans gloating about how they won the trade, how easy it is to fleece Chia, etc. (when initially they were saying it was an equal trade and that they wish us the best blah blah blah)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Don't want the Devils to make the playoffs. I've had enough of their fans gloating about how they won the trade, how easy it is to fleece Chia, etc. (when initially they were saying it was an equal trade and that they wish us the best blah blah blah)

We'd be saying the same thing if we had traded like Staois for Kovalchuk or something to them. They're right to gloat, if we ever ripped off a team that badly I'd do the same.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Are they wrong?

Reactions: Aerrol

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Couldn't care less about the Devil's but I really want Hallsy to taste playoff hockey so I'm rooting for them.
Devil's fans aren't even that bad they all love Larsson, it's more other fanbase$ bashing us

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Are they wrong?
They're not but that doesn't mean they should join in on kicking us while we're down. I see it a lot on reddit (I don't check the mains here)

Couldn't care less about the Devil's but I really want Hallsy to taste playoff hockey so I'm rooting for them.
Devil's fans aren't even that bad they all love Larsson, it's more other fanbase$ bashing us

I don't mind him making the playoffs...but I do subscribe to the idea that he wasn't a great teammate; very cliquey (as has been said by past players like Petry and Ference) and he didn't do much to unite the team. He has superstar skill but something about him rubs me the wrong way....that's for another thread.

Also, I'm actually rooting for the Panthers to make it. Some of their players are equally deserving of success and recognition as Hall is. Players like Barkov, Ekblad, and Houberdeau don't get talked about enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->