Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 5-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Can't agree with this. Sherritt is looking overwhelmed, is making as many wrong reads as I've seen, and if its still the same set he's the one that's supposed to be spying the QB. Durant had the best game he's had rushing in several years. Not to mention power backs like Messam, and even Steele this weekend were plowing right over the diminutive Sherritt.

Sheritt's problem this year, is that he's trying to do too much. Like a babysitter for Cagney (I mean Ladler) and Lacey. He's made some great plays this year, but it's taken some time for his battery mates to adjust. Lacey is getting better, but he's a huge step down from Dexter McCoil.

Don't even get me started on Neil King. After Doe leaves town, it would be nice if he can also pack up too.

As for looking overwhelmed, Reilly is beginning to look that way to me. And frustrated as hell. Not a good sign.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sheritt's problem this year, is that he's trying to do too much. Like a babysitter for Cagney (I mean Ladler) and Lacey. He's made some great plays this year, but it's taken some time for his battery mates to adjust. Lacey is getting better, but he's a huge step down from Dexter McCoil.

Don't even get me started on Neil King. After Doe leaves town, it would be nice if he can also pack up too.

As for looking overwhelmed, Reilly is beginning to look that way to me. And frustrated as hell. Not a good sign.

Absolutely agreed with the bolded. But Deon Lacey had himself a fine game in Saskatechewan. Multiple plays where he was single handedly taking the option and the bootleg away. Impressive. Few players read well enough to be taking two opponent options away on the same plays. With Lacey also because his mobility is so damn good as well as his tackling. If Lacey even gets a hand on you your going down. he'll be good, just needs to curb some of the silliness and calm down. Little bit too much rooster in him.

neil king? Who is this guy related to? How on earth is this a pro football player?

Is it me or are the Eskimos cheaping out on salary cap this year. They seem to have around a dozen players in the lineup that should be replaced. too much deadwood. But like I said I just think Hervey is tired right now. Just hire an assistant and get on the phones. We're at least a handful of useful defenders/special teams players away from being a legit club.

But I don't know how much help is coming. Hunt will get his wind and get better anyway. Is Howard friggen retired now or just permanently injured. What a waste of a jersey he's been. Seems like he's been injured more than he's been in the lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The problem with Benevides is he's not confident in the DB's covering to send blitzes. So he's trying to play it in the middle and be vanilla.

And that's probably the worst thing you can do in football, is be in the middle. Either play aggressive or play conservative, but don't be undecided.

Heres the difference between Jones, a competent D coordinator, and Benny, who makes us all wonder.

Jones is going largely with one on one coverage of Walker, Bowman on a day when the wind is playing havoc with throws and also because he knows Reilly struggles in windy conditions (anybody else pick up on this?) Reilly has trouble compensating for two things. When his arm is banged up, and when its windy. Jones, and this is a bit of genius, was essentially using the wind as a defender on Sunday and challenging Reilly to make long completionss to his top targets in the wind. While cheating on burying him with heat up front all day. Aggressive, and effective. makes for a tough day at the office for Reilly.

Vanilla was no way to go on a day like this with the steady wind. Bring heat and make Durant make quick reads and see turf was the way to go. Give Durant all day and it plays to his strengths. Durant is a better wind passer then Reilly and he's had a ton of practice chucking spears at Mosaic. That's the game within a game and we got outcoached badly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Great.:shakehead

At least one guy on here will be thrilled though.:laugh:

You rang? hehe. More like indifferent. Theres too many critical moves that are needed, and a long list for hervey without thinking this is, or should be number 1 on that list. We could use about 3 replacements in the secondary, couple in special teams, then look at Doe.

not that these thigns occur in rank order of need just that if they aren't replacing other players they likely aren't replacing this one.

hell even Mcknight even got another game after the worst kick returning game in the history of this franchise.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
You rang? hehe. More like indifferent. Theres too many critical moves that are needed, and a long list for hervey without thinking this is, or should be number 1 on that list. We could use about 3 replacements in the secondary, couple in special teams, then look at Doe.

not that these thigns occur in rank order of need just that if they aren't replacing other players they likely aren't replacing this one.

hell even Mcknight even got another game after the worst kick returning game in the history of this franchise.

We have one Replacement and that's too many. I can't imagine three. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMO the lack of Dline rotation , and too many vanilla bull rushes from the Dline are hurting us. Lack of rotation the most IMO

Indeed. Vanilla sure describes Bene's blitz package.

No disguising at all. For all the effectiveness it has they might as well broadcast it on the jumbotron beforehand....(insert defensive position here) BLITZ INCOMING!!!!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Sheritt looked like garbage a lot last year as well. So I don't know that it's really something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->