Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I'd start Franklin versus Toronto.

Two drives and one touchdown for him sofar today. The kid is a gem. Why not play him ? No offense but Reilly can sit . His body could use the rest anyways.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Esks shouldn’t act so cocky beating up on the worst team in the league.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That rare sight when Maas wasn’t the worst coach on the field.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, it was filled with mistakes but I'll take it.
-Very poor game for Walker, his worst as an Eskimo
-Bowman simply AWOL
-Zylstra will get a shot down south and imho has a better chance than Walker
-Good game from the O-line again today
-The D gave up too many yards off the run
-We must have the worst collection of kickers in football history
-That arm of Franklin's throws some darts, beautiful spiral on the Williams TD.
-Gable acquisition looks good
-For a team that comes from the Great White North we don't seem to like adverse conditions.
-Edwards has some talent at that corner position
-Sewell a perennial all-star

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Willy, Reed, and the Als.....lol, what a joke.

We played well enough to win, so that's good, but not exactly convincing against a pathetic , poorly coached team.

Speaking of poorly coached, WTF was Maas thinking on that FG try from way out? You screw around with the clock and take a 5 yard delay of game, and THEN try a long FG? He's losing his marbles.

I don't think much of Chris Edwards, despite his TD return. A gift from the gods, so to speak. Nothing that he did, matter of fact, Jackson should have caught that, and Edwards was nowhere to stop it. Just happened to arrive when the ball got pushed up in the air and he was forced to beat a couple O linemen to the endzone. We desperately need some guys back from the 6 game list to move him and Adams back into their backup roles.

Really concerned about our continued inability to control the run game on defence. It's going to bite us in future games, just like it did in last years playoff against Ottawa. Getting McCoil back would be nice, but with Benevides schemes, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make.

Wonder where the guys that were trashing Whyte are these days. The old saying of you don't know what you have till it's gone sure applies in this situation.

It took a Reilly injury (as we all knew it would) before Franklin got a sniff. And considering the amount he's played this year, he performed fine. I really hope he gets a chance next game, but we've likely seen the last of him barring a broken leg or something like that to # 13.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Has a QB ever experienced such a sharp midseason decline like Reilly has?

That's a good question. I'm not enough of a CFL historian to know the answer but Reilly's regression has to be on that list.

Is it wrong that I kind of cheered when Reilly was injured?

Nope. The reluctance to play Franklin is baffling. Esks will continue to shoot themselves in the foot this offseason by letting Franklin walk as a UFA while continuing to hedge their bets on Reilly.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
We'll I'll take the W and the Esks managed enough big plays to get the result. Albeit a lot of it again on Zylstra's shoulders. Bad game by Walker. You just have to be better than that. As for Bowman he isn't even being a target. Love the guy but obviously still injured. Why isn't he just sitting out?

Back to Zylstra though is this guy is becoming my favorite Esks Receiver of alltime and that is saying a lot. Sure hope he stays here and the NFL is not noticing. This guy is completely owning this CFL level of football. He's doing it routinely and every time a ball goes his way. He's basically unstoppable and he's half of our offense any game. He's also returning kicks. He finds energy to ride the bike on the sideline while playing two sides of the ball and putting up 250 all purpose yards again. The rest of the club should be embarrassed watching what this guy is doing. Wheres that kind of effort in the rest of the roster?

Not impressed either When Duke Williams started laughing when Zylstra told him on the sideline that he would have broke the latest tackle and got more yds. Williams should show half the consistency and effort Zylstra is showing and especially at this last gasp tenure in his career. Instead we see an extremely talented Williams not even being ready for half the passes coming his way. He should be dominating this league. I don't think he has the work ethic and desire for that.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
That's a good question. I'm not enough of a CFL historian to know the answer but Reilly's regression has to be on that list.

Nope. The reluctance to play Franklin is baffling. Esks will continue to shoot themselves in the foot this offseason by letting Franklin walk as a UFA while continuing to hedge their bets on Reilly.

Every player should be regressing like Reilly. Puts up +300yds nearly every week, had huge gains out there, very valuable runs, was 100% on 3rd down conversions and plays every game with heart and soul. Sure he's not perfect. Stands to reason he wouldn't be in this league if he was. But the compete level he shows every week is as good as it gets in this league.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That football team out there today just wasn't going to be denied. Things didn't go according to plan early, but they refused to quit, and in the end they managed to pull it off....

I'm talking about the Montreal Alouettes, of course. Just no way were they going to be denied their 8th consecutive loss today. The Eskimos dug deep to sink to their level of ineptitude, but just couldn't quite hang on.

Some things that we learned today:

-The defense cannot stop the run at all. Thankfully opposing co-ordinators tend to do that to themselves.
-There is no communication on the sidelines among our coaches. WTF was that time count violation then FG attempt supposed to be?
-We still mysteriously abandon the run while leading in the second half.
-Patrick Swayze is just as useless as O'Neill and Milo were. Whyte was supposed to be back by now...what gives?

Montreal hadn't even shown a pulse in a game since August, and there we were well into the 4th quarter with the Als marching towards a go-ahead score. That pick-6 saved this ball game. There is a very reasonable chance we lose this game without that.

On the positive side, this went a long way towards securing a playoff spot. If we beat the Lions in two weeks, we clinch regardless of anything else that happens. To be honest, we could probably lose the rest of our games and still make it. BC gagging that huge lead to Ottawa was devastating for the Leos.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Every player should be regressing like Reilly. Puts up +300yds nearly every week, had huge gains out there, very valuable runs, was 100% on 3rd down conversions and plays every game with heart and soul. Sure he's not perfect. Stands to reason he wouldn't be in this league if he was. But the compete level he shows every week is as good as it gets in this league.

Don't think anyone on here or anywhere I've been, has ever questioned Reilly's compete level and willing to sacrifice. That goes without saying, so I'm not sure where the rant comes from. What has been said is that he has struggled mightily the last several weeks, as has the team. I don't think anyone can question that. But the QB being the focal point is going to get far more scrutiny. If our backup was chopped liver, then most would say, leave him in, come what may. But when you are fortunate enough to have a quality backup like Franklin, if you can't get him a few snaps during a 6 game losing streak, then when the hell are you ever going to play him? It serves two purposes. Gives the defence a new style to adjust to, and Franklin gets valuable experience. For Reilly, it is a chance to reboot, take a breather from a punishing schedule and the physical abuse that he takes, and have a ringside look at what is going on out there.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That football team out there today just wasn't going to be denied. Things didn't go according to plan early, but they refused to quit, and in the end they managed to pull it off....

I'm talking about the Montreal Alouettes, of course. Just no way were they going to be denied their 8th consecutive loss today. The Eskimos dug deep to sink to their level of ineptitude, but just couldn't quite hang on.

Some things that we learned today:

-The defense cannot stop the run at all. Thankfully opposing co-ordinators tend to do that to themselves.
-There is no communication on the sidelines among our coaches. WTF was that time count violation then FG attempt supposed to be?
-We still mysteriously abandon the run while leading in the second half.
-Patrick Swayze is just as useless as O'Neill and Milo were. Whyte was supposed to be back by now...what gives?

Montreal hadn't even shown a pulse in a game since August, and there we were well into the 4th quarter with the Als marching towards a go-ahead score. That pick-6 saved this ball game. There is a very reasonable chance we lose this game without that.

On the positive side, this went a long way towards securing a playoff spot. If we beat the Lions in two weeks, we clinch regardless of anything else that happens. To be honest, we could probably lose the rest of our games and still make it. BC gagging that huge lead to Ottawa was devastating for the Leos.

That first part was funny, thanks. Sad, but true.

I'm not going to take a lot from this game. I expected a win, as I think the world probably did. Montreal is that bad. Drew Willy level of bad. The fact that they were still in this game midway through the 4th quarter is a little disconcerting, given the fact they have absorbed regular pummelings up to this point.

I think we are going to make the playoffs now though, for what it's worth. But not because of what we've done or will do. B.C. is our only threat and they are completely crapping the bed. Have no idea what is going on in Lotusland. Ever since Lulay got knocked out, they've been flat. If we do go over on the crossover, it would be cool to see us play Calgary in the GC. But another part of me wants no part of what potentially could be a lopsided embarrassing final to the season.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Don't think anyone on here or anywhere I've been, has ever questioned Reilly's compete level and willing to sacrifice. That goes without saying, so I'm not sure where the rant comes from. What has been said is that he has struggled mightily the last several weeks, as has the team. I don't think anyone can question that. But the QB being the focal point is going to get far more scrutiny. If our backup was chopped liver, then most would say, leave him in, come what may. But when you are fortunate enough to have a quality backup like Franklin, if you can't get him a few snaps during a 6 game losing streak, then when the hell are you ever going to play him? It serves two purposes. Gives the defence a new style to adjust to, and Franklin gets valuable experience. For Reilly, it is a chance to reboot, take a breather from a punishing schedule and the physical abuse that he takes, and have a ringside look at what is going on out there.
They need to get Reilly out of there and put franklin in, reilly has been garbage all year.

Has a QB ever experienced such a sharp midseason decline like Reilly has?

Is it wrong that I kind of cheered when Reilly was injured?

This is some of what I was referring or responding to. Seemed like some posters were pretty ready to throw Reilly under the bus.

I don't think either that tossing +300yds every week is "struggling mightily". Reilly is trying to run an offense in which several recievers are injured, has Bowman playing seemingly on one leg, had no useful RB for around a dozen games and not one that I had confidence in. I don't see either that having some perspective positive thoughts on Reilly was a rant. It was a bit odd reading some of the comments here like "Reilly has been garbage all season". That's kind of myopic if not short memory.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Further, I think people are very disappointed in the long losing streak. Reilly is the figurehead for the club, clearly its leader so I guess its natural for people to associate Reilly with all that. But the Reilly on the field, and what he has been putting up is pretty solid. I think we've just got used to seeing Reilly play pretty well. Reilly leads the league in passing yds, leads the league in +300 passing games, leads all QB's in TD's, Is automatic on 3rd down gambles, is the best QB at converting second and long which he has to do a ton of times playing on a team that rarely has a competent (and not injured) RB that can just pound the ball. Finally he's got that guy.

I think Reilly has just become kind of a lightning rod for discontent.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is some of what I was referring or responding to. Seemed like some posters were pretty ready to throw Reilly under the bus.

I don't think either that tossing +300yds every week is "struggling mightily". Reilly is trying to run an offense in which several recievers are injured, has Bowman playing seemingly on one leg, had no useful RB for around a dozen games and not one that I had confidence in. I don't see either that having some perspective positive thoughts on Reilly was a rant. It was a bit odd reading some of the comments here like "Reilly has been garbage all season". That's kind of myopic if not short memory.
Don’t you think passing yards by themselves is a pretty meaningless stat, especially in this league with a huge field to work with. The stat is kind of like team shot totals in hockey where the team that’s losing the game usually ends up outshooting the winner. In football teams that fall behind, are forced to throw the ball to get back in the game and end up with more passing yards.

Reilly hasn’t been finishing drives and that’s what everyone is talking about. He hasn’t been putting up points. He’s deserved his criticism. He hasn’t deserved to play every series when the team has been struggling. That’s why everybody has gotten frustrated. Nobody is talking about a permanent benching either. They just don’t understand why Maas isn’t using every weapon he has.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Don’t you think passing yards by themselves is a pretty meaningless stat, especially in this league with a huge field to work with. The stat is kind of like team shot totals in hockey where the team that’s losing the game usually ends up outshooting the winner. In football teams that fall behind, are forced to throw the ball to get back in the game and end up with more passing yards.

Reilly hasn’t been finishing drives and that’s what everyone is talking about. He hasn’t been putting up points. He’s deserved his criticism. He hasn’t deserved to play every series when the team has been struggling. That’s why everybody has gotten frustrated. Nobody is talking about a permanent benching either. They just don’t understand why Maas isn’t using every weapon he has.

Good post. I'll say again that I agree Franklin should be playing and that the team should be utilizing both of Reilly and Franklin to give Opponent D something else to look at.

As for redzone production is struggles more if you don't have a balanced attack. That's not just on Reilly. Nor was it yesterday. Duke dropped 3 balls including a fumble. Walker dropped two as well. These were imminently catchable balls. But we were better in Redzone because now we have Gable. Makes such a difference having somebody that can pound the ball in.

I disagree with the yds thing for this reason. This team is deplorable on special teams and gives up 10yds on every exchange of kicks. Meaning that all those yds are critical as Reilly is almost always in the business of having to get the team out of deep in its own zone without which you give the opposition immediate field position. This has been the struggle for months now. Special teams giving up too much, D giving up way too much yds and Reilly hitting the 8 ball time after time with poor field position. We even have Zylstra doing double time returning kicks because we have no return guys.

Put me on the side that thinks Hervey stocked the shelf a lot better than what we're seeing now. Our special teams have been subpar all year. I don't think its been addressed adequately.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That first part was funny, thanks. Sad, but true.

I'm not going to take a lot from this game. I expected a win, as I think the world probably did. Montreal is that bad. Drew Willy level of bad. The fact that they were still in this game midway through the 4th quarter is a little disconcerting, given the fact they have absorbed regular pummelings up to this point.

I think we are going to make the playoffs now though, for what it's worth. But not because of what we've done or will do. B.C. is our only threat and they are completely crapping the bed. Have no idea what is going on in Lotusland. Ever since Lulay got knocked out, they've been flat. If we do go over on the crossover, it would be cool to see us play Calgary in the GC. But another part of me wants no part of what potentially could be a lopsided embarrassing final to the season.

The bolded pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I am still not sold on Maas as a coach and I am definitely not sold on the OC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->