Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Problem is the Grey Cup was a success and the board will see that as a positive. I don't think they care who won the Cup.

Wonder if they care that the field was an embarrassment.
Did anyone ever say why it was so bad and why they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As much as I hate it, the Stamps winning the Grey Cup in Edmonton was the perfect slap to Len Rhodes face.

Not when they count the gate receipts and all the other receipts. He will likely get an extension for a job well done.

He'll get exposed for the fraud he is next season, when attendance drops and he has no big event at the end of the year to cover his ass.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not when they count the gate receipts and all the other receipts. He will likely get an extension for a job well done.

He'll get exposed for the fraud he is next season, when attendance drops and he has no big event at the end of the year to cover his ass.
We'll see how smart Rhodes is. A smart man would be trying to defer some revenue and spend more now for next year's expenses.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
That was a very Esks-like performance from Ottawa. Calgary played well enough to win though obviously, so credit where it's due. The most sickening part was seeing that damn horse prance around on OUR field after the win. That there epitomized the whole fiasco of this Eskimos season.

The Grey Cup was a fun time though and my hats off to all the volunteers and workers and party-goers! Good job YEG you put on a good show!

Now its time to pay attention to my other disappointing child, the Oilers. Sigh. Where did we go wrong.....

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The 2019 season ticket drive will be a real wake-up call for the EE but unfortunately the OBC in the upper echelons of the football team guarantees that ultimately the franchise will suffer but not Rhodes.

This guy is a strutting peacock of the first order but once he is done with the carnage here he will simply move on to another plush $500K a year job in corporate Alberta. That's how the system works. The BOD will look after him, one way or another.

Meantime, people who make 15 bucks an hour will be working the phones in the EE ticket office and saying "Yes sir it has been a disappointment but all I can do is defer your comments to Mr. Rhodes. Meantime we hope that you will reconsider and renew your subscriptions as a valuable customer." These are the people I feel sorry for because they have to take the heat for the BOD's inaction.

The EE have benefitted from the fact that for the last half century they had the most loyal fan base in the league (plus NFL calibre facilities) but I just can't see how you can hold back the water forever. Even in years where we weren't very good we had a lot of crowds of 40K+ but those days are long gone now. The "Argo" effect may be setting in and once the downward trend is established its very difficult to reverse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle McMahon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
had a talk with my friends and we agreed to not renew the seasons tickets we've had since 2001.

I don't feel the value is there for my money, so they can't have it any more.
screw you Rhodes.

I dont blame you at all.
I hope though that you mention to the team that Rhodes is the reason why you are cancelling. If enough people do that maybe just maybe there will be a change.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The 2019 season ticket drive will be a real wake-up call for the EE but unfortunately the OBC in the upper echelons of the football team guarantees that ultimately the franchise will suffer but not Rhodes.

This guy is a strutting peacock of the first order but once he is done with the carnage here he will simply move on to another plush $500K a year job in corporate Alberta. That's how the system works. The BOD will look after him, one way or another.

Meantime, people who make 15 bucks an hour will be working the phones in the EE ticket office and saying "Yes sir it has been a disappointment but all I can do is defer your comments to Mr. Rhodes. Meantime we hope that you will reconsider and renew your subscriptions as a valuable customer." These are the people I feel sorry for because they have to take the heat for the BOD's inaction.

The EE have benefitted from the fact that for the last half century they had had the most loyal fan base in the league (plus NFL calibre facilities) but I just can't see how you can hold back the water forever. Even in years where we weren't very good we had a lot of crowds of 40K+ but those days are long gone now. The "Argo" effect may be setting in and once the downward trend is established its very difficult to reverse.

For me I dont care a lick what Rhodes does or how much he makes once he is removed from his post.
I just want him removed.

I have never been happier to see a football season end as I was this season and I am not particularly excited about next season either. I am caring less and less.
That has never happened before.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I dont blame you at all.
I hope though that you mention to the team that Rhodes is the reason why you are cancelling. If enough people do that maybe just maybe there will be a change.

the tickets are under my friends name, but yes, he said he's make sure to specifically mention Rhodes, giving specific examples of his poor management.

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont blame you at all.

To be honest though I'm not sure how much of that (if any) actually gets back to the BoD. I have my doubts that a telephone handler working the phones with season ticket renewals has any sort of meaningful way of communicating to the BoD, or if they do, that the BoD actually cares.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
For me I dont care a lick what Rhodes does or how much he makes once he is removed from his post.
I just want him removed.

I have never been happier to see a football season end as I was this season and I am not particularly excited about next season either. I am caring less and less.
That has never happened before.

Sorry, redundant post that sounds like too many I've posted before.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be honest though I'm not sure how much of that (if any) actually gets back to the BoD. I have my doubts that a telephone handler working the phones with season ticket renewals has any sort of meaningful way of communicating to the BoD, or if they do, that the BoD actually cares.

I have a hard time believing this. It simply doesnt serve a publicly owned organizations to be fire walled from public input.
I think you are just playing the cynic. :nod: :)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have a hard time believing this. It simply doesnt serve a publicly owned organizations to be fire walled from public input.

It’s not hard to be cynical with this organization. I’m just going based on the history of the organization, who haven’t seen fit to replace any of the incompetent people in charge.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It’s not hard to be cynical with this organization. I’m just going based on the history of the organization, who haven’t seen fit to replace any of the incompetent people in charge.

Replace? They fired people to make way for the incompetence.

Its one thing, and it would even be digestible to me if they simply had made a mistake. But to fire an excellent football operations GM in Hervey, for no credible reason, and to replace him with muck is inexcusable.

Its on a level of the Oilers firing Krueger so that they could hire Eakins.

But the Esks did this after already losing Jones.

The kicker is that the two football people that were better than anybody we've had in decades are both gone. What kind of org does that? One with Rhodes in charge.

If its possible, and I'll say this, Rhodes looks even more like a village idiot in person.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

It may seem hard to believe, by this organization is proving to be remarkably tone-deaf when it comes to public/ticket holder sentiment. Bringing Maas back AGAIN proves this.

The CFL isn't like the other major leagues where teams can afford to largely ignore the desires of their fan base and ticket buyers, knowing that 8-figure cheques from TV deals and merchandising are already in the mail. Darryl Katz can let Lowe, MacTavish, Chiarelli, whoever run amok and not worry a lick about the financial viability of his organization. The CFL does not have this luxury. If thousands of season ticket holders are pissed off to the point that they will not renew tickets, and cite Rhodes and Maas as the reason, there really isn't even a choice to be made. They must be fired, end of story. For the Eskimos BOD to not understand this shows how far out of touch they really are. In a league where star players are pulling in $150,000/year, pissing away millions in ticket revenue is apparently not a concern to this collection of clowns.

I doubt any other organizations in the CFL would have allowed Maas to return after last year's Western Final, let alone come back again after following it up with one of the worst seasons in franchise history. Good heavens, Toronto fired Trestman less than 365 days after a Grey Cup win. Hamilton fired Kent Austin after 4 straight playoff appearances/two recent Grey Cup appearances. Saskatchewan fired Chamblin wihtin two years of a Grey Cup win. Winnipeg fired Lapolice just months after a Grey Cup appearance. Wally Buono has fired coaches left and right in BC despite making the playoffs practically every year. The ONLY team in the league that regularly gives coaches mulligans is this one. Maciocia had several. Reed had a couple. And now Maas is on his third mulligan. The Eskimos simply do not operate like a normal franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->