Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Am I watching the Redblacks or the Esks?

Just stupid play calling and players in the second half.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Red Blacks lost this game. What was that 7 turnovers? Just ridiculously bad game from the entire Red Blacks club including the coaches. They self destructed at every opportunity or this is a game.

The worst thing is you know that the game was won on the last play of the first half. You knew it as soon as you see it. Blacks punt the ball on the last play of the half, straight up the field and get burned 100yds on the return. Without that abysmal play it was a 3 pt game. Its another reason its hard to follow the league, always seems like morons are in charge.

The most disgusting day EVER in Edmonton Pro sports. Calgary coming in here and winning the Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Never in history has that happened and the most deplorable moment brought to you by Rhodes and Sunderland. f*** them all.

I won't throw a dime at this team until theres some firings taking place.

I'd like to pretend this sorry ass Grey Cup never took place.

Oh, and f*** your covered Football field Eskimos. you want that shit pay for it yourself.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
f***ing Ottawa. Even an average effort today would have been enough to beat Choke-Levi again. An absolutely disgusting display by Redblacks special teams, coaches, and Harris.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
****ing Ottawa. Even an average effort today would have been enough to beat Choke-Levi again. An absolutely disgusting display by Redblacks special teams, coaches, and Harris.

Harris and the offense were perfect last week. And shit the bed all day today. From the first dropped pass you kind of got a feeling. But Harris was abysmal today. he had trouble putting anything on target. Really the only impressive play of the day was the Canadian breaking 3 tackles and getting into the endzone. Not like Calgary offense did much either. Other than fall on the ball and kick FG's in 2nd half off Red Black turnovers.

You have to wonder after watching this if the Ticats might have brought better game. The thing that you kind of knew going in was that the Stamps would be the hungry team due to how many they lost and that the Red Blacks already won the cup.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Red Blacks lost this game. What was that 7 turnovers? Just ridiculously bad game from the entire Red Blacks club including the coaches. They self destructed at every opportunity or this is a game.

The worst thing is you know that the game was won on the last play of the first half. You knew it as soon as you see it. Blacks punt the ball on the last play of the half, straight up the field and get burned 100yds on the return. Without that abysmal play it was a 3 pt game. Its another reason its hard to follow the league, always seems like morons are in charge.

The most disgusting day EVER in Edmonton Pro sports. Calgary coming in here and winning the Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Never in history has that happened and the most deplorable moment brought to you by Rhodes and Sunderland. **** them all.

Oh, and **** your covered Football field Eskimos. you want that **** pay for it yourself.
Between the Raptors game starting at 4 PM and The Walking Dead season finale, this was the first Grey Cup game since the early seventies when I was a young child, that I didn’t watch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Between the Raptors game starting at 4 PM and The Walking Dead season finale, this was the first Grey Cup game since the early seventies when I was a young child, that I didn’t watch.

Isn't that something. I hope people like Rhodes and Sunderland read your post. I wish more Esks fans expressed their discontent.

Sounds like a good sobriety decision not to watch. Not sure why I watched. Glutton for punishment. If its anything I FF through most of the ugly parts..

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Harris and the offense were perfect last week. And **** the bed all day today. From the first dropped pass you kind of got a feeling. But Harris was abysmal today. he had trouble putting anything on target. Really the only impressive play of the day was the Canadian breaking 3 tackles and getting into the endzone. Not like Calgary offense did much either. Other than fall on the ball and kick FG's in 2nd half off Red Black turnovers.

You have to wonder after watching this if the Ticats might have brought better game. The thing that you kind of knew going in was that the Stamps would be the hungry team due to how many they lost and that the Red Blacks already won the cup.

That's Harris and Ottawa in a nutshell. Wildly inconsistent all year. Today they were awful. Likewise, I was concerned when that first pass just bounced off Ellingson's hands. Just beyond unacceptable to show up to a championship game with such lack of focus. Ottawa was chasing the game from that moment on.

This was pretty similar to 2014. Hamilton shot themselves in the foot all day long, and when the dust settled the Stamps were left holding the Grey Cup in spite of a very average performance.

It's a sad state of affairs in this league when teams can just consistently show up in the Grey Cup and win because the other team pissed it away. Same thing happened last year, Argos won because Calgary handed them the game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, I thought the Grey Cup game was a big success:

-First off, congratulations to the Calgary Stampeder football club. No matter what the "sour grapes" gang have to say they have been the class of the league for the last decade and are most deserving of the championship. They are to the CFL what we once were and most of the credit goes to John Hufnagel, perhaps the best CFL executive in league history but certainly one of the top 5. We have ourselves to blame for the fact that we have been pretty much the opposite in the last 12 years. A string of bad hiring decisions has put us out of the running and right now 2019 isn't looking much brighter.

-Congratulations as well to the City of Edmonton. The stadium was pretty close to a sell out and it felt great to see all those people in the stands. It takes me back in time to see that many people there and it felt good to watch. I had never heard of Alessia Cara but I thought she put on a very good show. She appealed to the younger crowd without that generic hip-hop garbage that no one can understand anyway. She has a tremendously sweet voice and of course is beautiful too. I enjoyed the show.

- Bo wasn't great but was good enough to win. I thought the MVP award should have gone to Jackson who was absolutely outstanding in the first half. Without him it could have been a very different game.

-Monster game by the Stamp D-backs aided by some poor throws from Harris. He seemed to be throwing into double coverage all night. It looked like Campbell stole a page from Maas and wanted to throw long on every second and three play. We know where that goes. The question is why haven't we been able to recruit good D-backs in the last decade? We used to do it with ease.

-Great game call by DD even though the execution wasn't great. Once again, that short passing game made all the difference. Yeah, I know, why can't we do it with the supposed offensive genius that we have in charge?

-Stamps got away with a block to the back on the kick return TD but hey that's the CFL.

-More turnovers than a bakery especially for Ottawa but that field was very slick. That's the only part of the game where I think you could criticize the hosts.

-Ottawa kicker looks like a future HOF'er right now.

Perhaps by some miracle we will take the Stamps dressing room next year.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Was at a friend's watching on his big fancyass tv.
After the cup we switched to the vikings game. Embarassing how a run of a mill NFL game has such better production value and camera quality than the the CFL championship.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just out of curiosity a look at how long this club has sucked. This is our results since 2006 season;

Primary team Edmonton: 124-123-1
Points for Edmonton: 6310
Points against Edmonton: 6469

For comparison this is Stamps record same time duration.;

Primary team Calgary: 172-81-3
Points for Calgary: 7479
Points against Calgary: 5913

This is BC Lions;

Primary team British Columbia: 140-110-1
Points for British Columbia: 6738
Points against British Columbia: 6191

This is Saskatchewan record;

Primary team Saskatchewan: 129-124
Points for Saskatchewan: 6454
Points against Saskatchewan: 6470

In the west only the hapless Bombers, perennial bottom feeders, have been worse than us.

The Esks play in a league where at least 2 teams each season look like they are on life support and have non competitive sides. In this league, all this time, the Esks can't manage more than a .500 record and actually allow more pts against than for.

lets step back further in time and see how long we've sucked in Comparison to the stamps who get far less ticket revenue than the Esks:

Go back to 1996, see what records are;

Primary team Edmonton: 236-208-1
Points for Edmonton: 11622
Points against Edmonton: 11370

Now Calgary, same time frame;

Primary team Calgary: 272-172-4
Points for Calgary: 12751
Points against Calgary: 10770

Now lets go back all the way to 86;

Edmonton record;

Primary team Edmonton: 369-274-2
Points for Edmonton: 17924
Points against Edmonton: 16131

Calgary;
Primary team Calgary: 397-242-5
Points for Calgary: 18768
Points against Calgary: 15744

Calgary Stampeders have been a better team than us now for round 33yrs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now head to head matchups, BOA

Since 86;

Primary team Edmonton: 58-59
Points for Edmonton: 3146
Points against Edmonton: 3136

About even above, however bring it to since 96;

Primary team Edmonton: 34-47
Points for Edmonton: 2012
Points against Edmonton: 2245

The above shows since 96 Calgary has had a decided edge.

Now since 2006;

Primary team Edmonton: 13-32
Points for Edmonton: 1074
Points against Edmonton: 1335

Absolute domination by the Stamps. For a long period of time, the last 13 seasons the matchup has general been bleak.

Despite the Eskimos having virtually every advantage with superior facilities, stadium, training facilities, budget, gate, etc.

The Eskimos have EVERY competitive advantage over the Stamps and fail perennially in relation to them the last number of decades.

Eskimos fans have a right to wonder why we are perennial also rans.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Didn't renew my season tickets this year, didn't watch any Esks games and didn't watch the GC.

They lost me when they came out and said winning isn't everything. Len Rhodes is a joke.

It's actually hilarious how I read this thread from time to time and 90% of the posts I read are that Maas made a terrible decision and cost us the game, yet he's still here? Brutal.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was at a friend's watching on his big fancyass tv.
After the cup we switched to the vikings game. Embarassing how a run of a mill NFL game has such better production value and camera quality than the the CFL championship.

Yeah it's unfortunate how far TSN still has to go in terms of production quality. Felt like I was watching a preseason game, and Cuthbert's unusually muted play calling didn't help with the atmosphere.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah it's unfortunate how far TSN still has to go in terms of production quality. Felt like I was watching a preseason game, and Cuthbert's unusually muted play calling didn't help with the atmosphere.
Count yourself lucky. I was stuck in a vehicle for half an hour and had to endure Rod Black.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

The most disgusting day EVER in Edmonton Pro sports. Calgary coming in here and winning the Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Never in history has that happened and the most deplorable moment brought to you by Rhodes and Sunderland. **** them all.

Oh, and **** your covered Football field Eskimos. you want that **** pay for it yourself.

As they were lining up to punt it, i said to my buddy that given field position and time, it was a pretty conservative play to just throw the ball instead and shoot for it before the half. I don't think you lose much turning the ball over on downs at the 55 yard line with a play left in the half. Maybe you surrender a FG worst case.

Then... yeah. Lol. Not sure about the play calling or the execution.

Idk, i think Ottawa still could have made a game of it in the 4th, but they seemed unable to hold onto the football. I kept telling my buddy from the US that a 10 point lead meant nothing in the CHL and that it was anyone's game and I'm pretty sure he just thought i was being blatantly anti-calgary. Haha. Which... maybe i was, in other respects.

I dont mind it, the stamps deserved a championship anyway i think, as much as it pains me to say it. Hard to take anything away from them, they've been the best team in this league consistently for a long time.

I had a great time yesterday, although i was slamming back free drinks from 10 am till 3am and missed the oilers game for an after party.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Now head to head matchups, BOA

Since 86;

Primary team Edmonton: 58-59
Points for Edmonton: 3146
Points against Edmonton: 3136

About even above, however bring it to since 96;

Primary team Edmonton: 34-47
Points for Edmonton: 2012
Points against Edmonton: 2245

The above shows since 96 Calgary has had a decided edge.

Now since 2006;

Primary team Edmonton: 13-32
Points for Edmonton: 1074
Points against Edmonton: 1335

Absolute domination by the Stamps. For a long period of time, the last 13 seasons the matchup has general been bleak.

Despite the Eskimos having virtually every advantage with superior facilities, stadium, training facilities, budget, gate, etc.

The Eskimos have EVERY competitive advantage over the Stamps and fail perennially in relation to them the last number of decades.

Eskimos fans have a right to wonder why we are perennial also rans.

The Eskimos post-Hugh Campbell have basically become the Harold Ballard era Toronto Maple Leafs of the CFL. More money and more resources than anyone else, typically have the best attendance/gate revenue in the league, best facility, a winning tradition and brand recognition (the Leafs certainly had this up until 1967, we did until 2005), basically every conceivable off-field advantage. We even had the overwhelming advantage of a Hall of Famer playing QB almost every one of the past 17 seasons. We sent out Ray and Reilly while the competition walked in here with Kerry Joseph, Kevin Glenn, Buck Pierce, Matt Nichols, Drew Tate, Drew Willy, Jonathan Jennings, etc. and the list goes on.

1 Grey Cup appearance in the last 13 seasons. In an 8-team league. With a future HOF QB playing at a high level in 10 or 11 of those years. That's just impossibly bad. We've hosted three playoff games in that span. 50% of the freaking league hosts a playoff game each year.

What it shows you is the power of one individual to completely ruin the fortunes of an entire team. Maciocia, Reed, Maas. Sums it up right there. Coaching is the most important position on a football team, even more than the QB. This is living proof. I don't even care if Reilly re-signs at this point. Next year is already ruined by Maas' continued employment. Montreal Alouettes fans have more reason to be excited about 2019 than Eskimos fans. Just a disgusting scenario, brought to you by head concert promoter Len Rhodes.

BTW, ran into Ed Hervey at Spirit of Edmonton on Saturday night. Totally approachable, friendly, had time for everybody. Naturally, he was reserved in commenting on his plans for going after a certain free agent QB, but more or less said "Mike Reilly chooses you, not the other way around". There was zero obligation for Hervey to even be in town this week, much less casually walk around Spirit of Edmonton interacting with fans. But he got fired for allegedly being inaccessable and alienating the community? f*** off Rhodes. Everyone knew that was a lie to begin with, and that's just more proof. Weird, I didn't see Rhodes downtown this weekend...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Eskimos post-Hugh Campbell have basically become the Harold Ballard era Toronto Maple Leafs of the CFL. More money and more resources than anyone else, typically have the best attendance/gate revenue in the league, best facility, a winning tradition and brand recognition (the Leafs certainly had this up until 1967, we did until 2005), basically every conceivable off-field advantage. We even had the overwhelming advantage of a Hall of Famer playing QB almost every one of the past 17 seasons. We sent out Ray and Reilly while the competition walked in here with Kerry Joseph, Kevin Glenn, Buck Pierce, Matt Nichols, Drew Tate, Drew Willy, Jonathan Jennings, etc. and the list goes on.

1 Grey Cup appearance in the last 13 seasons. In an 8-team league. With a future HOF QB playing at a high level in 10 or 11 of those years. That's just impossibly bad. We've hosted three playoff games in that span. 50% of the freaking league hosts a playoff game each year.

What it shows you is the power of one individual to completely ruin the fortunes of an entire team. Maciocia, Reed, Maas. Sums it up right there. Coaching is the most important position on a football team, even more than the QB. This is living proof. I don't even care if Reilly re-signs at this point. Next year is already ruined by Maas' continued employment. Montreal Alouettes fans have more reason to be excited about 2019 than Eskimos fans. Just a disgusting scenario, brought to you by head concert promoter Len Rhodes.

BTW, ran into Ed Hervey at Spirit of Edmonton on Saturday night. Totally approachable, friendly, had time for everybody. Naturally, he was reserved in commenting on his plans for going after a certain free agent QB, but more or less said "Mike Reilly chooses you, not the other way around". There was zero obligation for Hervey to even be in town this week, much less casually walk around Spirit of Edmonton interacting with fans. But he got fired for allegedly being inaccessable and alienating the community? **** off Rhodes. Everyone knew that was a lie to begin with, and that's just more proof. Weird, I didn't see Rhodes downtown this weekend...
Most damning post about the Eskimos in a thread filled with damning posts about the Eskimos. Very well said.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

BTW, ran into Ed Hervey at Spirit of Edmonton on Saturday night. Totally approachable, friendly, had time for everybody. Naturally, he was reserved in commenting on his plans for going after a certain free agent QB, but more or less said "Mike Reilly chooses you, not the other way around". There was zero obligation for Hervey to even be in town this week, much less casually walk around Spirit of Edmonton interacting with fans. But he got fired for allegedly being inaccessable and alienating the community? **** off Rhodes. Everyone knew that was a lie to begin with, and that's just more proof. Weird, I didn't see Rhodes downtown this weekend...

Thanks for another wonderful post Kyle. Good read. Man, I would have loved to run into Hervey.

I have a weakness for liking intelligent people, and intelligence. I prefer that orgs are run by intelligent people that know their business. Of course I question that with the current Eskimos. It was always immediately clear too, that Hervey and Jones represented a different calibre of Football person here than anybody we had for decades, probably since Hugh Campbell.

In Calgary its all about Hufnagel running a great organization all day, all year, for decades. You're as good as the top people in the org, and as bad as it.

My most maddening moment of Grey Cup week is being there on Wednesday and not 20 feet from Len Rhodes Cheshire cat grin. You just know he's counting the ducks from the grey cup hosting, already writing the yearly annual report, and considers the season as a huge success. you know that will be in the annual report and that regardless of how the team on the field, and declining attendance that the annual report will be sweeter than sugar. (is that connected with the word fudge? ;))

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Thanks for another wonderful post Kyle. Good read. Man, I would have loved to run into Hervey.

I have a weakness for liking intelligent people, and intelligence. I prefer that orgs are run by intelligent people that know their business. Of course I question that with the current Eskimos. It was always immediately clear too, that Hervey and Jones represented a different calibre of Football person here than anybody we had for decades, probably since Hugh Campbell.

In Calgary its all about Hufnagel running a great organization all day, all year, for decades. You're as good as the top people in the org, and as bad as it.

My most maddening moment of Grey Cup week is being there on Wednesday and not 20 feet from Len Rhodes Cheshire cat grin. You just know he's counting the ducks from the grey cup hosting, already writing the yearly annual report, and considers the season as a huge success. you know that will be in the annual report and that regardless of how the team on the field, and declining attendance that the annual report will be sweeter than sugar. (is that connected with the word fudge? ;))

I applaud you and everyone present for your apparent restraint in not physically wiping that grin off his face.

It's sad how powerless the fans are to affect any change. The only option is turning your back on the team and refusing to buy tickets. Which just hurts the CFL as a whole. It's not something I want to do, but what choice is there?

Ideally there would be some sort of clause in the club bylaws that prevented to BOD from retaining wildly unpopular and incompetent employees like Rhodes and Maas. Something like every 5+ year season ticket holder gets a vote. If 75% vote to remove the head coach, GM, player, president, whoever, the BOD is bound to honour the wishes of the people, who are in essence the shareholders of the team.

Even a system like American college football would be preferable. All the big programs have boosters; basically a group of millionaires who pays the millions of dollars to hire coaches, build new facilities, etc. If they lose faith in the head coach and agree to open their wallets to buy out his contract, the university president has little choice but to do so.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^As a rule I'm non aggressive and don't accost public figures, or anybody. I know what its like to be on a stage as well, so I always keep consideration of that in mind. It isn't easy being a spokesperson or presenter. People playfully booed references to the stamps but everybody kept their Esk concerns to themselves. It wasn't the time or place to air it. But when is it as you say.

Another thing is the opening on Wednesday was pretty much a diehard event. I looked around that day and saw people that I know have been esks followers, devout, for decades. Mindfull of those people as well we certainly didn't want to do anything to lessen any mood. That said even some of the most positive types were not as spirited as normal. It was a weird feeling. I think at that moment people still had to convince themselves whether they were able to celebrate a Grey Cup, in Edmonton, featuring Calgary. I couldn't jump that hurdle, couldn't do it. Never felt it. Was unlikely anyway given my current feelings of the Esks org.

I'm glad its over. I'll keep my ears tuned if there are any shareholder meetings or public events like they sometimes do. I'll let the board know if anything is coming up and what is required to attend. I wonder if EE ever take much of a look at the online community and what people are actually stating. I'd even make written submission if I could.

I kind of take a jaundiced view of Terry Jones as parade marshall as well. No journalist has suddenly been as about face or apologetic about this org than TJ this season. It was like he was paid by the org all season. Now we see that some of the payoff was symbolic. he got to ride as parade marshall which was obviously planned all along. There was a time when something like that could be considered a conflict of interest unbefitting of a journalist. But integrity in sports journalism largely doesn't exist. The paid travel and perks of the gig outweigh the want to be candid.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad