Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v6

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would hope the new President.

I dont know.
Here is what Chris Presson said in Sept immediately after he was hired.

“You’re not going to see drastic changes overnight,” Presson said. “You’re going to see us get in and if we don’t know exactly who our fan is or who our customer is, we’re going to figure it out so we know what they want.”

I dont get the impression at all that he is in a position (75 days after he was hired) to pressure the GM to fire the coach.
The BoD certainly isnt going to get involved.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont know.
Here is what Chris Presson said in Sept immediately after he was hired.

I dont get the impression at all that he is in a position (75 days after he was hired) to pressure the GM to fire the coach.
The BoD certainly isnt going to get involved.

Not pressure to fire the coach, I mean pressure that he's (Sunderland) going to get fired himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not pressure to fire the coach, I mean pressure that he's (Sunderland) going to get fired himself.

I dont think Suderlund gets fired. The new Pres simply doesnt have enough info/time on him.
At the very least he gets 1 more season.
I think the same applies for Maas.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I dont think Suderlund gets fired. The new Pres simply doesnt have enough info/time on him.
At the very least he gets 1 more season.
I think the same applies for Maas.
I can agree with you about both Maas and Sunderland getting one more season from the organization, although I heartily disagree with the potential decision. I believe Sunderland should get another chance, but only if he changes coaches. Lots of personnel changes have to happen, as the game against the Cats confirmed what the season already told us. We simply are no where near good enough to compete and win against the top teams in the league. Besides removing Maas, I believe there are 3 key areas that we desperately need to upgrade, and all three have been sore spots for some time. Not in any particular order. Bringing in some top notch YOUNG QB prospects to develop, as well as a capable backup to transition to them and give Harris some quality relief. Not the usual training camp cannon fodder rubbish. Upgrading the defensive backfield in at least 3 positions. And getting a damned decent return guy. Far too many dancers, and not enough north/south guys with speed and vision. The way every other team seems to find them every year, means it can't be that difficult. We are either looking in the wrong places, or not judging the talent properly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can agree with you about both Maas and Sunderland getting one more season from the organization, although I heartily disagree with the potential decision. I believe Sunderland should get another chance, but only if he changes coaches. Lots of personnel changes have to happen, as the game against the Cats confirmed what the season already told us. We simply are no where near good enough to compete and win against the top teams in the league. Besides removing Maas, I believe there are 3 key areas that we desperately need to upgrade, and all three have been sore spots for some time. Not in any particular order. Bringing in some top notch YOUNG QB prospects to develop, as well as a capable backup to transition to them and give Harris some quality relief. Not the usual training camp cannon fodder rubbish. Upgrading the defensive backfield in at least 3 positions. And getting a damned decent return guy. Far too many dancers, and not enough north/south guys with speed and vision. The way every other team seems to find them every year, means it can't be that difficult. We are either looking in the wrong places, or not judging the talent properly.

I agree with all of this.
As you know I am not a fan of Maas but (aside form the Predident not forcing any change at all) I just cant see a better replacement at this point in time.
In terms of Sunderland he really does need to improve the talent on defence. It was apparent all season that this defence had trouble defending the pass. With the pressure the front 7 gets on the QB that should have been a difference maker in terms of defending the pass and it wasnt.
That has to change.

Regarding the QB's...the problem as I see it is that Maas just isnt interested in developing a QB so that will continue to be a problem until Maas is gone IMO.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree with all of this.
As you know I am not a fan of Maas but (aside form the Predident not forcing any change at all) I just cant see a better replacement at this point in time.
In terms of Sunderland he really does need to improve the talent on defence. It was apparent all season that this defence had trouble defending the pass. With the pressure the front 7 gets on the QB that should have been a difference maker in terms of defending the pass and it wasnt.
That has to change.

Regarding the QB's...the problem as I see it is that Maas just isnt interested in developing a QB so that will continue to be a problem until Maas is gone IMO.
You don't think any potential candidates shake free this off season? If Winnipeg wins, perhaps Paul Lapolice becomes a possibility, especially if he has a nice ring on his resume. There may be others coming out of the woodwork that we don't now about yet, so never say never. We don't have to change him out immediately, but by Christmas would be nice. Matter of fact, that would be a nice present. Or, maybe some other team out there, (B.C., Ottawa?) start sniffing around and do the dirty work for us?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You don't think any potential candidates shake free this off season? If Winnipeg wins, perhaps Paul Lapolice becomes a possibility, especially if he has a nice ring on his resume. There may be others coming out of the woodwork that we don't now about yet, so never say never. We don't have to change him out immediately, but by Christmas would be nice. Matter of fact, that would be a nice present. Or, maybe some other team out there, (B.C., Ottawa?) start sniffing around and do the dirty work for us?

Its a good point you make...as the off season unfolds there may be some strong candidates shaking free.
If nothing else I really like that approach...much more hopeful than resigning to the reality that we have Maas for another season. :nod:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Agreed but further to a few of your points:

Yes, we need to develop some top young QB prospects but how do you do that when Jason Maas absolutely refuses to play the backups unless his number 1 guy is out with injury? As previously discussed in posts here, Briscoe looked good in the pre-season but when Harris went down the guy didn't get a sniff. Instead, we went with a guy, Kilgore, who is clearly not a starter and never will be.

Then, when another QB was signed mid-season, Maas puts the guy in the game ahead of Briscoe despite the fact that Williams probably didn't even know the playbook and had never taken a snap in the CFL. So how can we ever assess talent when you get reasoning like this? I'm sure it wasn't lost on Briscoe or the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong, Briscoe may be Franklin-part 2 but you probably won't know until you see the guy perform for another team.

Other roster decisions left me bewildered. Starting Hunter in the games when he was decidedly undisciplined and besides that not exactly a top notch cover guy. You are right though, we need some D-backs who are (a) ball hawks or (b) stickers who make you think twice. We have one guy, Johnson who fits category A. Not nearly enough. Orange was a complete bust.

The stubborn refusal to admit that running Gable up the gut on 1st down (for most of the season) wasn't working. It was evident again yesterday. A 3 yard average on these plays but again, go with it until the game is out of reach when it was clear that the Hamilton D knew exactly what to expect and gladly let an aging running back get 2 yards on the run.

I just can't see how you can accomplish anything with these examples no matter who you bring to camp.

Another season of Maas means even less confidence for fans who are staying away in droves. If Presson can't see this then you wonder where we will be in 2020.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Excellent discussion on the Eskimos on Jamieson's show on TSN 1260 right now.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Well...not all that surprising that Hamilton won today. I have no idea if this means that Maas will be fired.
I suspect not.

Brings overall Western Conference record in ECF to 0-7.

Crossover teams have exactly been gangbusters, historically.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Does the cap on coaching staff salaries effect the possible firing of Maas at all? If they were to fire him they’d still be on the hook for his salary and that would drastically lower the caliber of candidates they could get I’d think....

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Ever since Maas took over the head coach job here, he has focused only on being the starting QB's alter ego. No depth in his understanding of the total game (which means he can't provide the assistants any meaningful direction or insight). Very limited in his ability and it's showing in the team's performance.
His only upside is that the club can afford him.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sunderland with the usual "we'll take the week to evaluate" cliché.

Hardly out of the ordinary, but I'm more concerned now than I was 24 hours ago.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They need better receivers. Not sure why that isn’t being made a focus in the media or even here. The defense is in the Top 3 of the league in terms of talent. The receivers are in the bottom 3.

The lack of a game breaking talent at receiver cost us throughout the whole season. It made Maas turn to his ugly short passing game.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad