Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I dont disagree with anything you said but I would add the the reality of this time compared to the time back in the 70', 80' and 90's is more about access than anything else. The CFL has largely been a gate driven LEague and as such they imposed blackouts to help that cause.
It worked.
I used to be an Eskimo Season ticket holder. I would endure all kinds of bad weather to watch the game because that was my only option. I remember when the only CFL games that would be televised at all was after Labour Day when the CBC contract kicked in.
That reality doesnt exist anymore....there are options now. The effort it took to go to a home game isnt required. Its not an event as much as it used to be.
I dont have be be uncomfortable at all to watch an Eskimo home game now.
As a matter of fact I dont even have to watch a commercial if I dont want to.

Also...there is more that the CFL has to compete with now than back in the glory days. I think thats why their reputation (a reputation which has been in place for decades) hurts them more now than ever before.
Credibility matters and when there are so many available options to younger generations why would they bother putting in the effort to go watch a game which involves teams in a League which has the reputation of being a joke.

I think the TSN/CFL marriage is perfect for both the network and the league. TSN lost NHL hockey (for the most part) and the CFL gives them an opportunity to provide exclusive coverage. In turn the CFL gets the revenue they lost from lower gate recipets.
My concern for the CFL is what will happen if TSN bids for and gets NHL hockey again?
Agree with everything here as I’ve brought up many of these things on this board in the last few years. My point was I think the CFL’s existence now depends entirely on TSN. If for whatever reason they decide they can’t or won’t continue with that level of commitment then I don’t see the league surviving.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
-Great call on the fake by O'Shea and great execution to get the first down.
-Jefferson in a league of his own, like a freight train out there.
-Winston Rose would look good in Green Gold.
-O'Shea gets the most from what he has.
-Strev is basically another halfback in the backfield.

-Great winning drive with Powell but great blocking up front too.
- Charleston Hughes is like the Keith Richards of the CFL.
-Nice to see a big CFL crowd.
-Love the look and design of Mosaic stadium

I completely agree with all of this. The Riders have put together a very solid team... a contending team.

Mosaic is a beautiful stadium and its always packed (or close to it) regardless of how well the team does..
Love them or Hate them Rider Nation gets the CFL. They embrace their team and the League fully and completely...warts and all.
I think that they are the jewel of the CFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->