Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From a purely financial perspective I cant see why a player would decline going an NFL practice roster to join a CFL team.
I haven’t really paid too much attention in the last few years but have the days of NFL training camp cuts coming to the CFL ended? It used to be something fans looked forward to every year to bolster lineups for the stretch run but I can’t remember it being very significant in the last few years at least.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I haven’t really paid too much attention in the last few years but have the days of NFL training camp cuts coming to the CFL ended? It used to be something fans looked forward to every year to bolster lineups for the stretch run but I can’t remember it being very significant in the last few years at least.

I think it still happens but the salary cap makes things a lot trickier.

I am old enough to remember George Brancato (in the early 80's) going into Labour Day with a under preforming Ottawa Rough Riders team and then filling his roster with NFL cuts and making the playoffs.
I seem to recall that it was a strategy he used year after year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The attendance isnt great but even if it was great the players still (in most cases) make more money on an NFL practice roster than they do signing a CFL contract.

Yes, understood but I was talking more about the long term financial viability of the league given these attendance figures. Mind you nobody signs for more than a year or two now anyway.

Still no owner in Montreal and it remains to be seen if anyone will buy the Lions. Also, last year of the t.v. deal (I believe).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, understood but I was talking more about the long term financial viability of the league given these attendance figures. Mind you nobody signs for more than a year or two now anyway.

Still no owner in Montreal and it remains to be seen if anyone will buy the Lions. Also, last year of the t.v. deal (I believe).

As long as I can remember the CFL has had some kind of financial/ownership problems. I think thats the biggest reason why the CFL has a credibility issue.
The amazing thing is that the CFL just seems to survive despite all of its ongoing flaws.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
As much as the guy bothered me at times over the years, David Braley should be into the hof in the builders category as soon as he is eligible.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As long as I can remember the CFL has had some kind of financial/ownership problems. I think thats the biggest reason why the CFL has a credibility issue.
The amazing thing is that the CFL just seems to survive despite all of its ongoing flaws.
The CFL has always had financial/ownership issues like you say but I don’t think you can argue that things are much worse now with attendance being as low everywhere that I can ever remember. Costs go up every year and fans obviously aren’t interested in paying for higher ticket prices. It really looks like the only thing that’s propped the league up in the last few years has been the tv deal with TSN. If they aren’t prepared to extend that commitment at the very least, or even increase it, then I think the leagues future is in real jeopardy this time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The CFL has always had financial/ownership issues like you say but I don’t think you can argue that things are much worse now with attendance being as low everywhere that I can ever remember. Costs go up every year and fans obviously aren’t interested in paying for higher ticket prices. It really looks like the only thing that’s propped the league up in the last few years has been the tv deal with TSN. If they aren’t prepared to extend that commitment at the very least, or even increase it, then I think the leagues future is in real jeopardy this time.

I dont disagree with anything you said but I would add the the reality of this time compared to the time back in the 70', 80' and 90's is more about access than anything else. The CFL has largely been a gate driven LEague and as such they imposed blackouts to help that cause.
It worked.
I used to be an Eskimo Season ticket holder. I would endure all kinds of bad weather to watch the game because that was my only option. I remember when the only CFL games that would be televised at all was after Labour Day when the CBC contract kicked in.
That reality doesnt exist anymore....there are options now. The effort it took to go to a home game isnt required. Its not an event as much as it used to be.
I dont have be be uncomfortable at all to watch an Eskimo home game now.
As a matter of fact I dont even have to watch a commercial if I dont want to.

Also...there is more that the CFL has to compete with now than back in the glory days. I think thats why their reputation (a reputation which has been in place for decades) hurts them more now than ever before.
Credibility matters and when there are so many available options to younger generations why would they bother putting in the effort to go watch a game which involves teams in a League which has the reputation of being a joke.

I think the TSN/CFL marriage is perfect for both the network and the league. TSN lost NHL hockey (for the most part) and the CFL gives them an opportunity to provide exclusive coverage. In turn the CFL gets the revenue they lost from lower gate recipets.
My concern for the CFL is what will happen if TSN bids for and gets NHL hockey again?

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Are we cheering for the Bombers or Riders today?

Betslip says the Riders.

But I think from an Eskimo perspective, you hope Winnipeg wins both and just runs away with first place. We pretty much blew our shot last week, and I'd say we're now fighting for 2nd. If the Riders wins both, 1st place might be back on the table, but at the same time, 2nd place would be less attainable.

Saskatchewan is calling a really dumb game on offense and Fajardo looks a little uncomfortable. They've left a good 10 points on the field in a game that should have been over in the first quarter.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Riders have only lost the Labour Day Classic once in the last 14 years. But look pretty shaky today.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Saskatchewan doing everything they can to keep the Bombers in it. 0 rushing attempts in the second half while playing with the lead the whole time. Random idiots in the stands could call a smarter game than some of these coaches.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
@Kyle McMahon, any idea what I'm talking about here?

Yup, 1999. I believe the Esks had a 3-point lead in OT (back when it was still 5-minute halves). Calgary snuck it in from the 1 yard line for what they thought was a win, but the refs ruled Edmonton called a timeout just before the play and took it off the board. Then we stuffed them on the do-over. I think that was about the last time we actually got a favourable call on Labour Day.

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yup, 1999. I believe the Esks had a 3-point lead in OT (back when it was still 5-minute halves). Calgary snuck it in from the 1 yard line for what they thought was a win, but the refs ruled Edmonton called a timeout just before the play and took it off the board. Then we stuffed them on the do-over. I think that was about the last time we actually got a favourable call on Labour Day.
Thank you! It's been driving me nuts.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

No TSN deal= no CFL

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Riders show up for about 3 minutes in the entire second half and are rewarded with the win.

Streveler taking that intentional grounding penalty to knock Winnipeg out of FG range was the crucial brain-dead moment of the 4th quarter. Where was that lack of awareness last week? f***.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
-Great call on the fake by O'Shea and great execution to get the first down.
-Jefferson in a league of his own, like a freight train out there.
-Winston Rose would look good in Green Gold.
-O'Shea gets the most from what he has.
-Strev is basically another halfback in the backfield.

-Great winning drive with Powell but great blocking up front too.
- Charleston Hughes is like the Keith Richards of the CFL.
-Nice to see a big CFL crowd.
-Love the look and design of Mosaic stadium

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Esks have not beat any of the 3 ahead of them. If they are swept or lose the series to the Stamps, they will be in fourth place in the West or fighting for it in the end. Maybe a crossover favors them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->