Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McGill to stop using Redmen name for sports teams
McGill to stop using Redmen name for sports teams

Now that McGill has taken this step, it's over to you, Ottawa's CFL team, who's name manages to insult two groups of people.

Not to mention Cincinnatis's baseball team and New Zealand's national rugby team.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I suppose the real smoke is we did trademark "The Empire" last season during diversity week, which seems kinda... egregious for a single use slogan.

I think fans will keep saying esks, tbh. But i still call Rexall place Northlands too... so... idk.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Empires are just as offensive, with the raping and the pillaging and the slavery and whatnot involved in the empire building.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Empires are just as offensive, with the raping and the pillaging and the slavery and whatnot involved in the empire building.

Agreed and if you have a losing season then you get mocked for calling yourselves "The Empire."

We have hardly been an "Empire" the last 15 years. Maybe the Edmonton Eunuchs would be a better handle. Not much in the way of balls on this management group.

I wonder if this plan wasn't Rhodes final middle finger salute to the fans? What a disaster that guy was.

Reactions: Jet Walters

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Especially with our theme song “we’re going to fight fight fight onto victory. Show the world we’re proud of Edmonton and the Edmonton Empppirrre”. Or however the song goes lol.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I wish this story would just die. Empire is also just a terrible name so here's hoping this is just bologna. Am I allowed to use the word bologna? :sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I love being told to be offended by other white people about a name that has nothing to do with white people
Who is offended? Honestly. Gregor has had quite a few Eskimos on his show and they've talked about how they take pride in us having the name.

I've really never seen or heard anyone be offended other than a mayor at grey cup couple years ago. Who the hell knows what his agenda was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad