Eskimos: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by The Batman, Mar 1, 2019.

1. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

At the end of the day if this team makes the playoffs and shows improvement then it won't really matter. Really how many teams even question the CEO? It's only because Rhodes did a lot of stupid **** like redirecting money from the roster to half-time shows that people really even talked about him. But even that, if the team would've been winning who would've cared?

2. bone

bone 5-14-6-1

Home Page:
    Agreed. This is nothing but Mod throwing some crap at the wall seeing if it sticks. What he said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in his rambling, incoherent article was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who read this article is now dumber for having read it. I award him no further clicks, and may God have mercy on his soul.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    joestevens29 likes this.
  3. MoontoScott

MoontoScott Registered User

I think Rhode's interference went far beyond that but we will never know how much real power Sunderland had in the last few years. It's now clear that Brock is in charge of the on-field product so there are no more excuses. If the team is 3-6 by Labor Day then he will have to fire Maas.

guymez and joestevens29 like this.
  4. The Messiah

The Messiah Registered User

Lol...did you just copy and paste this from the other site your referenced? Or was that your post over there?

5. bone

bone 5-14-6-1

Home Page:
    Yeah, it looked very familiar to me as well, but was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I sometime post the same words on both sites as well, but under the same name.

6. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

The skepticism about the BoD aside (thats directed at me more than anybody else :D) I am just wondering what people are curious about this season.

I am actually curious about the type of defence the team will have and what schemes they will run. I wasnt a fan of Benevides and his defensive philosophy...I am hoping the team employs more of an aggressive approach.

Also...I am curious to see if the offense is going to rely on the deep ball as much as it did last season. Harris doesnt have the arm that Reilly has which I dont think is necessarily a bad thing if the offenisve play calling can keep the defence off balance. So in part I am hoping to see a stronger running game.

7. MoontoScott

MoontoScott Registered User

I am really looking at a ball control game which is ultimately more effective.

Good running game, good short passing strategy with effective screens and crossing patterns- just like the Stamps have.

Look at what happened when we lived and died with the Reilly long ball for 60 minutes. In the first half it was reasonably effective but when the opposition D makes half time adjustments they shut it down which is why the offence never went anywhere in the last 30 minutes of the contest. We don't have the big deep threats that we did last year so change is absolutely necessary.

And please....no more of those wide-out screens or lets say no more than 2 per game.

Does Reilly really have a bigger gun than Harris?

More blitzes from the D when considering the big upgrade at linebacker and a front four that had a very good second half of the season. D-backfield is still a wild card.

8. Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon Registered User

Sports Investor
    Home Page:
    Deep balls and a pass-heavy offense next season are a certainty. That's the offense Maas ran in Ottawa, that's the offense Ottawa continued to run with Harris after Maas left, and that's what Maas has run in Edmonton for three years. It would not surprise me to see Harris approach 6000 passing yards if he stays healthy for 18 games. As impressive as that may sound, passing yards unfortunately do not translate into wins. Should be entertaining though, I would expect we'll be involved in plenty of games that end 40-34, etc.

9. Paralyzer

Paralyzer Poor Muffins

Don't know about that. We did improve our defence by quite a bit. I'd expect it to be less points defensively IMO.

10. Kyle McMahon

Sports Investor
    Home Page:
    It's not that I think the defense will be poor, just a function of pass-heavy offense. Creates games with more possessions due to more clock stoppages on incompletes and boom-or-bust plays that reduce the number of snaps on successful drives.

11. abootzky

abootzky Registered User

Haha, you & Bone got me. I posted & copied it on the other site, then pasted it here. I like my username here better but the only part of my name over there that I'll be changing is the number on the end- hopefully in late November.

12. JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth Registered User

Lol, I'm actually over there too. Wanted my HF username, but had to with XX## instead... ;)

13. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

I see the Raiders are mulling over potentially playing a preseason game in Sask

Would love for us to be all over this.

14. Kyle McMahon

Sports Investor
    Home Page:
    I'd be curious as to how many members of the Oakland Raiders would actually be permitted to cross the border....

rboomercat90 likes this.
  15. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

LOL...yeah maybe they didnt think this thing through. :D

16. Sanchez

Sanchez Registered User

joestevens29 likes this.
  17. PositiveCashFlow

PositiveCashFlow Your Un"Aware" is Dirty Sponsor

wait... what? NFL preseason game in Edmonton possibly?

18. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

At least make it GB or something.

19. JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth Registered User

Green Bay and Minnesota at Commonwealth.

Make it so!

20. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor All rat, no battle

Gutless puke
    No thanks. NFL can go blow. What I would like to see is some decent CFL ball again. Concentrate on making that happen instead please.

MikeYEG and abootzky like this.
  21. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

How would an NFL preseason game work in a CFL stadium? That would be a lot of work to get the field ready. They’d need to move the uprights back ten yards. This would be a game in early August which is the middle of the CFL season too. Not saying it couldn’t be done but why would the Eskimos want this especially when a meaningless game probably out draws their own product?

22. abootzky

abootzky Registered User

Strongly agree. I like the NFL (as well as the CFL) and watch my team's pre-season games but 3 out of the 4 weeks of it are mostly a waste of time for casual fans and they stay away accordingly.

23. Soliloquy of a Dogge

Soliloquy of a Dogge I love you, Boots

Years ago there were rumors that my Broncos were gonna play a preseason game in Edmonton.

A lot of whispers due to the connection Mr B has to Edmonton + Katz wanting to make it happen but it never transpired. Would be cool though.

24. Kyle McMahon

Sports Investor
    Home Page:
    It might due to novelty, but I really doubt it would pack the stadium full or anything. Pre-season football is not a particularly appealing product if you have no vested interest in evaluating the new guys. In the CFL I find it somewhat watchable since I'm genuinely curious about seeing what usually amounts to at least a dozen potential new players. NFL rosters are much more set in stone and since they play four pre-season games with gigantic rosters, most of the guys on the field are just getting cut and new prospective starters might not play at all.

The Raiders brand is no longer any kind of draw either, like it would have been 20 years ago. Like the Oilers, they are a once-proud franchise that has been run into the ground for 15 years. A game between Green Bay and New England or something like that could have some appeal, but then of course Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers might play one quarter at most, quite possibly not even making the trip. Chances are you'd be watching a game between a bunch of players destined for CFL training camps the next season if they were lucky, or else just avoiding a civilian career for another few weeks.

rboomercat90 likes this.
  25. Tyrolean

Tyrolean Registered User

Big no to the NFL playing a pre-season here too. Don't need a useless distraction in the CFL season.

MikeYEG likes this.