Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
My one gripe with Reilly is that he doesn't know when not to play and sit out to let the backup QBs in. Is there a count of how many snaps in-game that O'Brien and Glenn took this year? Is that coaching or is it Reilly running the show and not coming out?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
even with his slightly subpar play last season, he was still one of the best players in the league.
I 100% disagree with the idea of trading him.

let's say you're the GM and trade Reilly. who is your QB going to be? Jennings?

not to mention you lose reilly, I bet you lose a couple thousand more fans per game.
I'm giving up my seasons tickets already, but we lose Reilly, I for sure would not attend even one game as a casual attendee.
Fans, plus I have to think he's one of the more popular Jersey sale. Although who knows if anyone is actually going to buy jerseys next year

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My one gripe with Reilly is that he doesn't know when not to play and sit out to let the backup QBs in. Is there a count of how many snaps in-game that O'Brien and Glenn took this year? Is that coaching or is it Reilly running the show and not coming out?
At the end of the day it's the coaches decision, although I don't buy this whole we need to give snaps to the backups.

The top qbs play, period. CFL or NFL, you have a top qb you are playing him. Aaron Rodgers hurt game one this year in NFL and the team sucks he's still playing. Roethlisberger hurt a lot, only 5 attempts by others on the team. One by the kicker and one by a wide receiver. Brady every attempt except 3.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I would think that would be on the coaches. I wouldn't call out the player for that.

there were a couple of games this year when the score was out of hand I wished O'Brien was put in.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't really get what the change is to be honest. They both keep their co-ordinator roles, Jones is an associate coach.

Should people really expect much of a change in Hamilton?

I'm not so sure Jones was fully capable with the CFL game and nuances, and some of his decisions were questionable to say the least. Steinhauer is a career CFL guy, both as a player and as a coach, plus he's a full 20 years younger. I think it's a great move and one that transitions nicely.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would think that would be on the coaches. I wouldn't call out the player for that.

there were a couple of games this year when the score was out of hand I wished O'Brien was put in.

I doubt they see O'Brien as much more than a placekicker holder, and after seeing bits of him, I tend to agree.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Reilly is not going to abandon Maas for DD.

If I'm Reilly's agent, I'd be advising him to sign with Calgary, if he has any ambitions of winning Grey Cups. Based on his age and the amount of abuse he's taken, coupled with arguably the best O-line in the league, and by far the best president and GM to surround the team with talent, it would be a no brainer.

Unless any love for Maas and Rhodes superseeds all good judgement.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If I'm Reilly's agent, I'd be advising him to sign with Calgary, if he has any ambitions of winning Grey Cups. Based on his age and the amount of abuse he's taken, coupled with arguably the best O-line in the league, and by far the best president and GM to surround the team with talent, it would be a no brainer.

Unless any love for Maas and Rhodes superseeds all good judgement.

I agree with this.
An organization being run by John Hufnagel is on an entirely different level than one being run by Len Rhodes.
If Rielly has any sense at all he wont bother signing with an organization being led by Len Rhodes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I agree with this.
An organization being run by John Hufnagel is on an entirely different level than one being run by Len Rhodes.
If Rielly has any sense at all he wont bother signing with an organization being led by Len Rhodes.

I have stated many times on this board just how superior Hufnagel is to anyone in the EE organization but if Reilly is going to go anywhere then I would say B.C. especially now that he knows a decent HC is in place for next season and one that he has often played against. He will have respect for Claybrooks.

Having said that maybe Reilly does sign with the Stamps, it's impossible to know for sure. Generally speaking, once guys are up in the 35 age range Huff makes a change.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have stated many times on this board just how superior Hufnagel is to anyone in the EE organization but if Reilly is going to go anywhere then I would say B.C. especially now that he knows a decent HC is in place for next season and one that he has often played against. He will have respect for Claybrooks.

Having said that maybe Reilly does sign with the Stamps, it's impossible to know for sure. Generally speaking, once guys are up in the 35 age range Huff makes a change.

Honestly I think it would be the worst case scenario for us Eskimo fans to have Reilly sign in Calgary.
I sincerely hope that doesnt happen.

If I was Reilly I would look at signing with the team I was planning to finish my career with and win a Championship.
So with that in mind I would be hard pressed to convince myself that a team being run by Len Rhodes is the best place for that to happen.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly I think it would be the worst case scenario for us Eskimo fans to have Reilly sign in Calgary.

I sincerely hope that doesnt happen.
If I was Reilly I would look at signing with the team I was planning to finish my career with and win a Championship.
So with that in mind I would be hard pressed to convince myself that a team being run by Len Rhodes is the best place for that to happen.
Would it really though? I doubt we'd find anything decent to replace him and would probably end up as one of the worse teams in the league.

As stated Reilly leaving would also hurt attendance on his name alone. The team being 1-7 or 2-6 would cause even more people not to show later in the year.

I have slight hope that with Maas in a reduce role we maybe are better next year. I do however want to see some changes and this would definitely force change.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Would it really though? I doubt we'd find anything decent to replace him and would probably end up as one of the worse teams in the league.

As stated Reilly leaving would also hurt attendance on his name alone. The team being 1-7 or 2-6 would cause even more people not to show later in the year.

I have slight hope that with Maas in a reduce role we maybe are better next year. I do however want to see some changes and this would definitely force change.

I get where you are coming from and I agree that the Esks need to be gutted but damn that would be a very tough way to see things play out IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get where you are coming from and I agree that the Esks need to be gutted but damn that would be a very tough way to see things play out IMO.
The fact that no changes occurred after this past season is very tough to see as well.

I'd really hate to see Reilly go. One of my favs in a long time. At the same time I hate to see his talent being wasted.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The fact that no changes occurred after this past season is very tough to see as well.

I'd really hate to see Reilly go. One of my favs in a long time. At the same time I hate to see his talent being wasted.

If Reilly goes (and I think there is a good chance he will go somewhere else) then I hope its to BC.
That would be a huge slap in the face for Len Rhodes and the Eskimo organization especially if BC was to win the Grey Cup. That would be ideal IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't even know what to really think about this club. Had a pretty good start at 5-2. Beat some tough teams and looked not too bad.

Then they also add something that no one expected. A close game in CGY followed by a big win in the rematch.

But of course they found a way to crush their own hopes by throwing up some stinkers and losing games they should've won.

They just find a way to be so disappointing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think Reilly is going to play for the Stamps.
Depends whether or not he shares the “winning isn’t everything” philosophy the rest of the organization believes in. If he doesn’t (and I don’t believe for a minute that he does), then why wouldn’t he?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Reilly goes (and I think there is a good chance he will go somewhere else) then I hope its to BC.
That would be a huge slap in the face for Len Rhodes and the Eskimo organization especially if BC was to win the Grey Cup. That would be ideal IMO.
I prefer BC as well, but I think it's a slap to go to either. BC because now Hervey is burning you, Calgary because that's our biggest rival.

Ideally if he were to leave it would be to go out East.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm honestly torn over Reilly. I love how much he's embraced the city of Edmonton and the memories that he gave us in 2015 (the West Final in CW comes to mind). But ever since Maas came on board, he's basically neutered him, and even worse, not expected him to be accountable for the abysmal offensive slumps that have cost this team tremendously - especially this year.

If it was any other QB at the helm, the lynch mob would be out in full force. Yet Reilly is hailed as a saint in these parts.

Not gonna lie, I'm almost at the point where I wouldn't mind trading him.
This sounds a lot like the Ricky Ray debate from way back when. What we should have learned from that is we needed somebody to replace Ricky Ray with before we seriously toyed with the idea of trading him. Reilly may leave as he is a free agent. We shouldn’t be celebrating the idea because we’ve got absolutely nobody coming behind him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I prefer BC as well, but I think it's a slap to go to either. BC because now Hervey is burning you, Calgary because that's our biggest rival.

Ideally if he were to leave it would be to go out East.

With Franklins luck ending up as a perennial backup in every year of his career....it will probably end up being Toronto.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This sounds a lot like the Ricky Ray debate from way back when. What we should have learned from that is we needed somebody to replace Ricky Ray with before we seriously toyed with the idea of trading him. Reilly may leave as he is a free agent. We shouldn’t be celebrating the idea because we’ve got absolutely nobody coming behind him.

Thats another sore spot with Maas for me. He has a starting QB in his 30's (soon to be an FA) and he doesnt have the foresight to even try and develop a young QB.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thats another sore spot with Maas for me. He has a starting QB in his 30's (soon to be an FA) and he doesnt have the foresight to even try and develop a young QB.
I understand the principle of playing the starter for every important down. There were a lot of unimportant downs two seasons ago though and Maas refused to give Franklin any playing time. Forced him out of town and solved his problem right there. He had no option but to play Reilly last year. Lots of reasons to fire Maas, that’s just one of them.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
One of the reasons that I think Reilly won't sign in Calgary are the dynamics that exist within the Stamps organization versus those in the Eskimo clubhouse.

I get the feeling that in the EE clubhouse Reilly has become all powerful and that Maas, Sunderland and Rhodes dare not challenge him on anything for fear of offending him. I think he's come to like that and of course why wouldn't he.

In Calgary, the club revolves around Huff and DD and they aren't afraid to challenge anybody on any subject. Huff will move anyone if he thinks their best before date is approaching and no one in Calgary questions him. It's really a different atmosphere as far as I can tell.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It's sad that Chia and TM weren't even the worst GM-coach combo in the city...

Reactions: guymez

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's sad that Chia and TM weren't even the worst GM-coach combo in the city...
Chia and tmac especially chia are MAGNITUDES worse than anything the eskimos have ever had and that includes maciocia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad