Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
vtKgdff.gif

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That was a classless comment on behalf of a teammate. You get a rookie who makes a second effort but in these kinds of conditions fumbles happen. Why didn't he go after the Stamps returners who had a couple of fumbles during the game, one of which would have been a disaster had they not luckily recovered. I felt sorry for the rookie who became the Leon Mcquay of 2017.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not true he has won a GC for Calgary.

Very true. When you've had dominant pieces all around you for several years, in terms of offensive line protection, a superior running game and a defence and special teams that are 2nd to none, and you only have one cup to show for it, you ARE a chokejob.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Ironic, Stamps execute a low percentage play to lose the game in the final minute when they were in position to tie it. I bet they can't laugh at us now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I believe that Dickenson sent in the play that lost it last year. Jennings is clearly not in the same class as Mitchell.

If I was the GM of a CFL expansion team in Halifax and they said you can take one player in the league before anybody submits a protected list, I would take Bo Mitchell, hands down.

I'll leave the last word to you on this one.

I sometimes wonder if the entire Stamps club were polled anonymously if they wouldn't prefer having Reilly to Bobo. Just a sense I get.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Matt Dunigan said it best. Football is a team game, and you want to be PART of it. On that play, BLM tried to BE it.

Well, I won't recount too much EE history here but Matt might want to mitigate his comments. The late Jackie Parker, Dunigan's coach, had a few things to say about Matthew.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

What a dick. Now he's on Twitter saying everyone is being too sensitive and he didn't throw his teammate under the bus.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Very true. When you've had dominant pieces all around you for several years, in terms of offensive line protection, a superior running game and a defence and special teams that are 2nd to none, and you only have one cup to show for it, you ARE a chokejob.

This is what isn't well understood. In terms of personnel and regular season record the Stamps are the most dominant squad in the history of the game. No other squad even comes close. In the best ever Eskimos zenith the club won 5 Grey Cups in a row. Stamps have 1. Even though theres been similar dominance and personnel.

But they got a 10cent brain QB in the pivotal position.

If fortunes were somehow reversed and they had Reilly the last 5 years wouldn't surprise me if they nabbed a few GC's and including today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

What a dick. Now he's on Twitter saying everyone is being too sensitive and he didn't throw his teammate under the bus.

If the Stamps talked all day about putting two hands on the ball wheres the criticism when Messam went through a pack of Argos with one hand on the ball and managed to score only because no Argo knocked the ball loose? No, on that play they cheer Messam and consider him a hero. Even though his carrying the mail was very suspect on that play in a game with snow where the ball is wet. He high fived Messam on that play.

What a hypocrite. I like the way he pulls the OV parachute on the back of the turnover as well simply trotting down the field like its a Sunday run in the park. Him and other Stamps could have rallied back on that ball and saved the TD score. But the chokers lack that kind of heart to comeback on a play like that. Easier to point the finger at somebody else.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If the Stamps talked all day about putting two hands on the ball wheres the criticism when Messam went through a pack of Argos with one hand on the ball and managed to score only because no Argo knocked the ball loose? No, on that play they cheer Messam and consider him a hero. Even though his carrying the mail was very suspect on that play in a game with snow where the ball is wet. He high fived Messam on that play.

What a hypocrite. I like the way he pulls the OV parachute on the back of the turnover as well simply trotting down the field like its a Sunday run in the park. Him and other Stamps could have rallied back on that ball and saved the TD score. But the chokers lack that kind of heart to comeback on a play like that. Easier to point the finger at somebody else.

There was one Stamp that tried really hard to tackle him. They are not all chokers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Feels so good to see Messam, Singleton, and the Stamps lose. Messam was showboating big last week and jawing the Esks right in front of our bench. Classless puke. Some of his actions in that game will end up on the Eskimos wall.

Smart clubs realize you don't give your opponents extra ammunition.

lol as well at Messams halftime comments to Sara Orlesky today

"My contribution is huge, just huge, when you can get 50yds in a half in a GC that's a large part of everything" (what kind of asshat pats himself in the back like that in the context of a team sport?)

Follows it up with 15 yds in the second half and dropping two balls including a critical ball late forcing the Stamps to punt just prior to the game winning Argos FG drive.

Any words from clutch huge Messam now/

Messam has the perfect inflated ego for the Stamps club. lots of air being let of flat tires now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And somewhere, the late, great Jackie Parker was smiling when the Argos picked up that fumble and ran it all the way back for a score to change the game, just when it looked like the Stamps were closing in for the kill.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There was one Stamp that tried really hard to tackle him. They are not all chokers.
They were heavily favoured. And lost, when they had the game in the bag. The offence, defence both collapsed at the worst times. They are chokers.

And I love it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I have to admit, seeing the Stamps choke like that takes a lot of the sting out of Maas' idiocy last Sunday. The counter point to that, is he really very likely cost us the Grey Cup. Almost no chance we lose to that Toronto team today. They looked every bit the mediocre 9-9 club that they are for 55 minutes today. Total fluke win. And it's freaking hilarious! Messam, Bovine, Hufnagel, Dickinson...couldn't happen to a more arrogant pack of donkeys.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And somewhere, the late, great Jackie Parker was smiling when the Argos picked up that fumble and ran it all the way back for a score to change the game, just when it looked like the Stamps were closing in for the kill.

The play was of the same magnitude, except even more yds covered. That turnaround play was considered the biggest play in the history of GC's until this one.

That the Stamps committed two alltime choke plays in one game is stupendous. Its glorious. This game felt like winning and the Esks weren't even in it.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Tell me more, Replacement. You're not fooling anyone.

And yeah, glad the Stamps lost, but to blame this on BLV or calling him a choke artist is nonsense.

1. A poor play call by Dickenson on Ottawa's 1 yard line last year lead to the game going to overtime (and eventual loss)
2. A 109 yard fumble with 4 minutes left lead to their loss today. They could easily have been up 11 with under 4 minutes left.

It's sport, and sometimes the best team doesn't always win. The circumstances surrounding the past 2 Grey Cup losses can't be pinned on him. He's one of the most winning QBs in the league and here you are throwing shade by being a contrarian (as usual).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

And yeah, glad the Stamps lost, but to blame this on BLV or calling him a choke artist is nonsense.

1. A poor play call by Dickenson on Ottawa's 1 yard line last year lead to the game going to overtime (and eventual loss)
2. A 109 yard fumble with 4 minutes left lead to their loss today. They could easily have been up 11 with under 4 minutes left.

It's sport, and sometimes the best team doesn't always win. The circumstances surrounding the past 2 Grey Cup losses can't be pinned on him. He's one of the most winning QBs in the league and here you are throwing shade by being a contrarian (as usual).
Definitely helps with the team he has had around him, I have no doubt if Reilly and BLV swapped teams that the stamps would of won just as many or possibly even more games.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Stamps aren't getting enough grief for that call. Forget what Jorden did. They still had a chance to go into OT and yet they completely blew it. No, the play didn't make any amount of sense. It was too risky. And it was arguably just as bad as Maas's blunder, especially given what was at stake.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wow, Congrats to Ricky Ray. Four Grey Cups, What a great QB.

Exactly, not enough credit going to Ray who played a masterful game with 300 yards passing . He made very few mistakes on the day. Bo throws for 387 yards on a frozen field. I thought both QB's put on great show. I wish I had a tenth of the athletic talent that they do.

Too often on the threads we hear this "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah" instead of kudos to all the players who put on a great display despite the weather conditions. A 100 yard catch and run touchdown in a snow storm where you couldn't even see the yard markers is one hell of a feat. Most people couldn't catch a 5 yard pass at the height of summer.

The grey cups are infinitely more entertaining than the super-bores but I guess the NFL will always be the big draw. Anyway let's hope that this victory puts some more fans in the stands in TO. You couldn't have asked these guys for more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rank the following plays in terms of worst overall play, accounting for magnitude of impact, the importance of the game, etc.:

Maas' FG call
Kavis Reed too many men against Montreal in the GC
Dickenson/BLM calling/throwing a pass play into double coverage while already in FG range

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The whole boards knows, Kreskin. ;) I'm here under a new name legit.

Anyway, Bobo threw 3 interceptions last year in the GC which is pathetic. He threw the game deciding interception last night. Simply do anything but turn the ball over and its headed to OT on a chipshot FG from 20yds out.

Bobo got badly outplayed by Reilly as well in 2015 and could barely get by the Ticats in 2014. The lol in this is the Stamps, during Bo's tenure have played 3 teams that collectively are below .5oo in the 3 Grey cups and barely managed to win one.

As far as winning percentage that is a team stat and the Stamps at every position and every side of the ball are a dominant squad. They win games when Bo is passing for 200yds and throws two picks. They win primarily due to their D, Oline, and special teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad