Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don’t remember this one. What was it?
Was an event at the old arena that had Eskimo and Oiler players. Had different games, photo ops and meet and greets with the players.

I still remember meeting Dave Manson, had nightmares for a month. Nice enough guy, but sounded like a monster.

Reactions: Beerfish

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was an event at the old arena that had Eskimo and Oiler players. Had different games, photo ops and meet and greets with the players.

I still remember meeting Dave Manson, had nightmares for a month. Nice enough guy, but sounded like a monster.

Never made it to one, but imagine it was a cool experience. This was back in the day when the Esks and Oilers did a lot more cross promotion. With them both being the best teams in each of their leagues though it probably made it a lot easier to do so.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

His voice always reminded me of Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Never made it to one, but imagine it was a cool experience. This was back in the day when the Esks and Oilers did a lot more cross promotion. With them both being the best teams in each of their leagues though it probably made it a lot easier to do so.
I feel that at the very least the Esks should be looking at doing this. They need the fans. They could've almost tried to do one with the FC team to get their names out there.

I don't know how much buy in NHLers would really have. Would be nice if they were there, but at the end of the day the team isn't exactly desperate and wouldn't force guys to go. Esks on the other hand are losing fans all the time. Get the kids hooked. That girl with the Caps is probably a Connolly fan now from something as simple as a puck. Even myself I was meeting guys like MacT, Simpson, Bucky, Lamb, Lowe and those were guys I looked to when watching games.

I'd add the time Larry Wruck was signing cards at some card show was another big day. I couldn't have been much older than 10 and really didn't understand or care about defense. But when I went to a game I looked for #47

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I got my photo of me with Glenn Anderson and the Stanley and Grey cups at the Carnival of Champions in 1987. It's hanging in my office and is one on my most treasured pieces of memorbilia.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Sim is a friend and we could see him back in G&G later in the season. Everyone knows he's had injury problems. He will maintain his training and my guess is that he could return in the fall depending on health and the team's situation. We have a few very young players on the offensive line so they may struggle early in the season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sim is a friend and we could see him back in G&G later in the season. Everyone knows he's had injury problems. He will maintain his training and my guess is that he could return in the fall depending on health and the team's situation. We have a few very young players on the offensive line so they may struggle early in the season.

There seems to be a lot of "retirements" across the league lately. More than I recall in previous years, is this some new SMS game teams are playing? Let these guys collect a modest signing bonus, then retire, hang out in the city, then sign to come back in as an injury replacement late in the year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Actually a relief to hear. The guy was hurt more often than not the last few years, and his absence when counted on really hurt the team at times. Getting a little long in the tooth as well, so I would wish him a nice retirement while he still has most of his faculties. Thought he would be one of the casualties getting released earlier in the year, so this kind of falls in line with that.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
There is a good chance that we’ll see Sim later in the season as he intends to keep up his training so he’ll be healthy and ready if the team needs him, perhaps after Labour Day when things get serious. It’s better to have a healthy Simeon Rottier for the playoff run than to have him get hurt early and miss the rest of the season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There is a good chance that we’ll see Sim later in the season as he intends to keep up his training so he’ll be healthy and ready if the team needs him, perhaps after Labour Day when things get serious. It’s better to have a healthy Simeon Rottier for the playoff run than to have him get hurt early and miss the rest of the season.

Kind of like the NFL replacements that sometimes come in around that time. It's just interesting that so many are "retiring" lately. To me retiring should mean you aren't returning.

Best of luck to him though. Part of me hopes we don't bring him in late in the year, because it probably would mean the younger/newer recruits proved to be a real solution. Good contingency plan though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kind of like the NFL replacements that sometimes come in around that time. It's just interesting that so many are "retiring" lately. To me retiring should mean you aren't returning.

Best of luck to him though. Part of me hopes we don't bring him in late in the year, because it probably would mean the younger/newer recruits proved to be a real solution. Good contingency plan though.

It doesn't really apply in this case but I think we are seeing more players retiring at an earlier age (in both the CFL and the NFL) due to health concerns. Players are much more aware of the longer term effects of injuries than they once were. I know in talking to a few players that these studies on brain disease have scared a lot of players and if you aren't making big bucks then all the more reason to seek out a different career.

Several Stamps have retired lately. Its going to be an interesting year for Calgary, lots of turnover, first place is no longer the given it has been.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It doesn't really apply in this case but I think we are seeing more players retiring at an earlier age (in both the CFL and the NFL) due to health concerns. Players are much more aware of the longer term effects of injuries than they once were. I know in talking to a few players that these studies on brain disease have scared a lot of players and if you aren't making big bucks then all the more reason to seek out a different career.

Several Stamps have retired lately. Its going to be an interesting year for Calgary, lots of turnover, first place is no longer the given it has been.

No question the Stamps have had some serious turnover this year, but Hufnagel always seems to have an eye and a knack for getting replacement talent inserted seamlessly. I think losing Finch will hurt the most.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not too surprised by these ratings.

Huff is the best in the league at replacing talent but a RB trade, back up QB retirement and OL retirements are going to make his job a lot tougher this year. Two guys are gone from the D-backfield and an all star is gone from the D-line. These add up to serious losses. That said, I still expect the Stamps to challenge for first but they won't go 15-3 this season.

I think the Stamps, Bombers and Als will all be watching EE camp at the cut down date in their search for a backup QB. The EE are relatively rich at that position.

Reactions: Beerfish

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Bowers has announced his retirement on the eve of training camp. Our defensive line makes me nervous. Maybe a trade incoming?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bowers has announced his retirement on the eve of training camp. Our defensive line makes me nervous. Maybe a trade incoming?

I'm seriously thinking half these guys are retiring just to skip TC, reduce cap hit, and then they'll come back later in the season.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm seriously thinking half these guys are retiring just to skip TC, reduce cap hit, and then they'll come back later in the season.

I was thinking the same thing, don't be surprised if he resurfaces later in the year but yikes we have very little CFL experience in the defensive front seven compared to other teams. Some newcomers better step up.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Rottier, yes it does sound like that. But Bowers is a real idiot if he thinks he's in position to just skip camp and sign back on in the middle of July. The guy isn't even an established starter yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad