Edmonton Elks seeking private ownership

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Been community owned for all of its 75 year existence. Despite being a pillar of stability years of mismanagement on and off the field lead to a decline is season ticket base and reserve fund. Name change didn't help.

Interest is high apparently with 12 NDAs signed with interested individuals and groups so far.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
...how much of the name change *actually* plays into it though? It just seems like convenient fuel for chuds to point to as the root of all the problems instead of the mismanagement and changing winds of football consumption even in core CFL markets.

Reactions: oknazevad

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
...how much of the name change *actually* plays into it though? It just seems like convenient fuel for chuds to point to as the root of all the problems instead of the mismanagement and changing winds of football consumption even in core CFL markets.

It's really hard to say. The name change comes up an awful lot when you ask people about the team. But like you, I feel like it's an excuse mentioned by people who haven't gone to a game in years anyways.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
It's really hard to say. The name change comes up an awful lot when you ask people about the team. But like you, I feel like it's an excuse mentioned by people who haven't gone to a game in years anyways.
Okay, so they go back to being the Eskimos tomorrow, do these idiots suddenly become season ticket holders?

Most likely not.

Shit stirrers, as they pretty much are, often engage online but rarely publicly interact with their communities in meaningful ways and, in fact, have become further isolated (and weird) as they've embraced the dubious notion that most everything in the world has an ulterior motivation that is out to get them because their politics don't jive with the general public.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
They went from the Gold standard in the CFL to a joke in 4 seasons, I love the CFL but I can see them calling day on it sooner than later

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The blaming the name-change more coincides with performance of the team than it is political -- surely some of that, too. But one doesn't have to be on a political 'side' to have grown up rooting for a team then finding it 'different' when the team name is changed. Especially, as stated, when it coincides with a drastic difference in results.

Their last season as the Edmonton Eskimos they went to the East Final.

First season as the Edmonton Elks they went 3-11 and 0-7 at home.

Next season, the Elks in 2022, 4-14, 0-9 at home (even lost their lone home preseason game.)

Elks in 2023, 4-14 w/ an 0-9 start to the season, lost their first 5 regular season games at home (also lost their lone home preseason game, again.)

Finally ended a 22-game (24 including preseason) game home losing streak. They went from the penultimate home game of 2019 (as Eskimos) all the way up to week 12 of 2023 (as Elks) before seeing their team win ANY game at home.

They've had 3 of their 5 worst seasons in franchise history, since 1949, post-name change. The only 3 seasons as the Elks are 3 of their 5 worst.

So, while whatever the name is logically doesn't change results, you can see the feeling of "we were good when we were the Eskimos, now we're a joke as the Elks" fairly easily.

Last 5 seasons as the Eskimos included 4 playoff appearances and a Grey Cup win.

First season after changing from Eskimos, to Edmonton Football Team, the season was cancelled. Then to Elks and three seasons of embarrassment and now heading into another season with little hope.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
^ - For a hockey psuedo-comparable. It's along the lines of the Red Wings being 0-7 since adding the patch to their jerseys. Is the Priority Waste patch the reason they went from a 6-game win streak pre-patch, to never winning a game to-date post-patch? Obvious how fanbases will view such things.

Last edited:

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
The blaming the name-change more coincides with performance of the team than it is political -- surely some of that, too. But one doesn't have to be on a political 'side' to have grown up rooting for a team then finding it 'different' when the team name is changed. Especially, as stated, when it coincides with a drastic difference in results.

Next season, the Elks in 2022, 4-14, 0-9 at home (even lost their lone home preseason game.)

Elks in 2023, 4-14 w/ an 0-9 start to the season, lost their first 5 regular season games at home (also lost their lone home preseason game, again.)

Finally ended a 22-game (24 including preseason) game home losing streak. They went from the penultimate home game of 2019 (as Eskimos) all the way up to week 12 of 2023 (as Elks) before seeing their team win ANY game at home.

They've had 3 of their 5 worst seasons in franchise history, since 1949, post-name change. The only 3 seasons as the Elks are 3 of their 5 worst.

So, while whatever the name is logically doesn't change results, you can see the feeling of "we were good when we were the Eskimos, now we're a joke as the Elks" fairly easily.

Last 5 seasons as the Eskimos included 4 playoff appearances and a Grey Cup win.

First season after changing from Eskimos, to Edmonton Football Team, the season was cancelled. Then to Elks and three seasons of embarrassment and now heading into another season with little hope.
All of this doesn't exactly refute anything though, and as Gindy rightfully points out:

Okay, so they go back to being the Eskimos tomorrow, do these idiots suddenly become season ticket holders?

Most likely not.

The type of people who *legitimately* feel like the new name is a detriment to their enjoyment of the team more often then not don't care enough about the product except as a way to own the libs.

To take away from the name though, Naylor mentions in the article that a potential red line in any serious proposal is a remodeling or complete demolition of Commonwealth. If that's the case, it's almost guaranteed to be a smaller venue, no?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
To take away from the name though, Naylor mentions in the article that a potential red line in any serious proposal is a remodeling or complete demolition of Commonwealth. If that's the case, it's almost guaranteed to be a smaller venue, no?

Absolutely. There's no need for a 60k+ stadium in Edmonton. The football team never fills it - indeed the upper deck is going to be closed this coming year.

It's a trend throughout sports - for smaller venues, not larger. I think the idea is to try and sell out games, create a sense of urgency about getting tickets and not "well I'll pick them up on game day if I feel like going".

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

My parents followed the Esks (as most fans referred to them) even when they retired out to BC in the 2000's. Even with the downturn they still had given support to the team.

They stopped with the name change as they felt was an issue that didn't solve anything but the egos of a few hardcore progressives (and they tended to be more of that view.

The home losing streak, which happened after the change, certainly helped cement the feeling that the team was in trouble despite all the spin to the contrary. I found this out from a number of supporters who, even though they remain season ticket holders, were less likely to put more funds into the team.

It's gotten to the point where the team gave out freebies to games last season to pump up attendance numbers. Even the Rider and Stamps fans you would normally see aren't showing up for the big games anymore.

This can be seen that they are now going to close off the upper decks in order to create a more "intimate" atmosphere.

Absolutely. There's no need for a 60k+ stadium in Edmonton. The football team never fills it - indeed the upper deck is going to be closed this coming year.

It's a trend throughout sports - for smaller venues, not larger. I think the idea is to try and sell out games, create a sense of urgency about getting tickets and not "well I'll pick them up on game day if I feel like going".

Except you can't really build one in the city now.

Reactions: Reaser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad